Cane Creek Cloud Nine Rear Shock

Ultralight air sprung, air damped rear shock with speed sensitive valving. CNC machined aluminum body, preload adjusts via schrader air valve. External rebound and compression with indexed damper dials. Rapid Compression Adjuster (RCA) for on-the-fly anti-bob setting. Delrin glide rings and Nitrile seals are easily serviced in minutes. Weight: 207-259g (half the weight of most coil shocks)

DouthatBiker   All Mountain Rider [Feb 11, 2012]
Strength:

Shock totally transformed my old Klein Mantra. No other shocks were available for Mantra's odd sizing anymore, then here came Cane Creek with the Cloud 9. Unbelievable change in the bike's handling. I've got almost 19,000 miles on this bike now, and new designs just don't make me want to give it up. I have an 08 RockShox Revelation 130mm up front; with that and the Cloud 9, even ancient frame design can give a fantastic ride. The RCA simply limits travel; it's not a lockout, but there is a big gain in efficiency nonetheless, and bike is still active. That is better on the Klein because it's made to remain seated while climbing.
ALSO, CANE CREEK is hands down the best company I've ever dealt with in terms of excellent customer service. They rebuild if needed, but the basic seals rebuild is pretty simple to do yourself.
One warning: do NOT RIDE DOWNHILLS with the RCA (semi-lockout) engaged. The spring in the shock is not built to handle heavy stress, and you damage the spring if you forget to "unlock" the RCA while descending. I did that intentionally, not realizing it would hurt it, so they rebuilt that for me; now it works fantastic again, AND I remember to always disengage the RCA adjustment when descending. I would absolutely buy another Cloud 9 if this one fails; it has over 4600 miles on it now, and I'm going to replace the seals again tonight because it leaks a little air and needs to be pumped up before a ride. Not a big problem but maybe after another minor rebuild, it'll hold tight again. (Unless it is leaking around the RCA button; I'll do a leak test underwater first, and if that's the leak point, I'll live with it a bit longer and have to send back to CaneCreek again. They've certainly earned more business, in my opinion, so I won't be griping if that is necessary.)

I'd have given up the old Klein by now if it hadn't been for the change this Cloud 9 brought to the bike. It might surprise you what it could do for your bike if you ride older frame technology. This illustrates that a significant part of the efficiency provided by new designs is suspension fork and shock dependent. That's my opinion, anyway.

Similar Products Used: Fox Alps 5 air and Fox Vanilla(?) Coil shock. Neither held a candle to this shock, but they were much older technology.
egebhardt   Weekend Warrior [Jun 09, 2011]
Strength:

Completely rebuildable.

Odd air-spring curve.

I couldn't get the Progressiveness Valve to work. Then rebound didn't work either. I opened the can and put some new gear oil in there. Then closed it up. Not fixed.

I then called CaneCreek. They said I need a seal kit. Then I looked at the kit. It is only for air-can o-rings. That won't help.

So I went home and took it all apart on the kitchen table. It was a little dirty inside. I cleaned it and gear-oiled everything. Put back together and mounted it. Hoooray!!!!

It works as advertised. Not great, but pretty darn good for no oil. Air dampening and serviceable!

Similar Products Used: Fox RP23
ched   Cross Country Rider [Jun 04, 2011]
Strength:

light, looks good, adjustable damping, adjust air press for rider weight.

This Cloud Nine made a huge improvement in the ride quality of the K2 Sidewinder. You can power across the terrain and up the hills without bouncing out of control (the stock spring had no damping). Even on the pavement, this bike is faster with the Cloud Nine.

I did have to fabricate some bushings to make it fit. This was done with some 1/2" aluminum rod from local box hardware store and a small 1/2" drill press to act like a small lathe. It took me about 2 hours

barnhorse   Cross Country Rider [Jan 05, 2011]
Strength:

I put it on my bike and forgot about it. I never touch it. I like that.

It does not lock out completely. Mostly, but not all the way. Not a problem for me, but for some it might be.

I like it.

robriw3   Cross Country Rider [Nov 09, 2010]
Strength:

Inexpensive - much much less than others, easy to change seals, really softens up the rocky sections. Best for light downhill, or on a trail bike. Low weight. Beautiful laser etching in stealthy black. Lots of settings to dial in your style. Buttery smooth.

Cannot service internals, no true lockout. Wouldn't use on my XC race bike. Having adjustments on the side would make for easier access, but that is likely not possible.

For the price it is awesome, but after 1,000 miles of riding just a seal replacement won't keep it working. It is great for rocky, rough, downhill hucking, but without a "pro-pedal" platform it always has a little bob even when set up just right. The shock will not break, it just starts to leak air and then you do a rebuild, but after the first rebuild it will always need a little air before each ride from then on. It really is bombproof for the first couple years of life, then you need to decide if you want to replace it with a different long term brand, or send it in to CC for an full internal rebuild. But, you could get 2 of these for one RP series Fox.

Similar Products Used: Fox, RockShox.
luckystu   Weekend Warrior [Sep 08, 2010]
Strength:

installed it and It works

None so far

The service from Cane Creek was great. They originally sent the wrong size bushings, but the service guy had them send via UPS blue out the correct bushing at no charge. I would buy one again if needed.

Similar Products Used: Progressive 5th Element
Gakster   Weekend Warrior [Sep 04, 2010]
Strength:

Plush, easy to set-up, highly tune'able, light

None.

Nice upgrade for my 2000 Marin Mt Vision Pro. Upgraded from AD-12. The AD-12 served me well for ~5 yrs. After 5 yrs, the AD-12 was loosing air and rebound was not working well.

Instead of a rebuild, I decided to upgrade. In a word - WOW ! The C9 is plusher, wider range of adjustments (esp rebound) and easier to adjust as well. (Knobs instead of hex keys).

After 1 season, it's nicely broken in and had no problems at all. Set and forget.

Similar Products Used: Fox Float (older), DHX 5.0, AD-12
xilant   Weekend Warrior [May 25, 2010]
Strength:

Light weight, simple/effective design that's easy to service. I'm very impressed how well it works with the Heckler considering it's an air shock and air dampened.

The only way to mount the shock on my Heckler was to put the air valve facing down thus putting the graphics/Cloud Nine logo upside down. This truly doesn't bother me, but it's the only weakness that I can think of.

I was a little skeptical about this shock at first. How well can an air dampened shock perform? Will it pogo constantly? So I read many other reviews and spent a lot of time looking for an upgrade for my Heckler.

Many forums swear by coil shocks for the Heckler but I'm more of a techincal trail rider and don't want the additional weight of a coil.

I came on here to look at various different shocks and found many people having problems with nearly all air shocks! Like everyone out there I want something reliable that won't break in the middle of a ride (RP3 stuckdown for example).

I saw this shock with many many positive reviews and thought I'd give it a try. So I sent in my old RP3 for the Cane Creek upgrade program (which is very easy, just call them and they take care of you). I installed it on my bike just nine days later!

Setting it up was pretty easy and once tuned I was treated to the most wonderful ride I could have imagined. I used to have a Fox RP3 and I couldn't get the right compression and rebound. It bucked me in the air and didn't rebound fast enough before it landed... But the CCC9, it's just amazing.

I took it out of my first ride yesterday and hit 4" rocks and roots and it literally felt like I was riding on a cloud. It absorbed everything flawlessly and rebound was perfect. I didn't feel a thing!

I highly recommend this shock to anyone who wants a light weight shock that works exceptionally well and has the highest standard and reliability.

Similar Products Used: Fox Float R, RL, AVA RL and RP3
Flip 2   Cross Country Rider [Apr 10, 2010]
Strength:

Smooth, adjustable, light, smooth

RCA switch does not lock out shock BUT, that only matters if you HAMMER the cranks... works fine for the everyday.

Wonderful shock! Totally transforms my riding experience. I also did the Rock Shox fork upgrade... that improves the front just enough so you can enjoy the Cloud Nine.
Before (with orig equip) you aimed and held on. Now I can steer and ride. Sucks up bumps and keeps the wheel from bouncing around so you can just power away... so cool.
Now I revel in the Fuel 100s light weight and superb handling. A joy.
I almost never used the big ring on our mostly flat, and often sandy, local woods trail. You could get going, but first time you hit anything you just bounced around. Now I find myself ripping around (relative term you understand, I'm no youngster) in the top ring lots. The bike just knifes through and eggs me on.

Similar Products Used: Cane Creek AD-10, Rock Shock SID
turniptruck   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2009]
Strength:

Bulletproof
Light
Plush

Found out the original fox on my bike would be about 500 to replace. Was a beautiful riding shock, but c'mon. I wanted to rebuild it, but found out that the proprietary system meant sending the unit in, paying about 120 and not having the shock for six weeks.

Therefore- did some research on other shocks- found the Cane Creek for much less and read good things about it.
Rides equally as good to the Fox in every way, buttery bump eater and yet hammers the rear wheel in on climbs.

More importantly to me is insanely good support. Called Cane Creek directly to buy and was talking to a real live american tech person at the N.C. hq in seconds. Called back on delivery for some installation questions, and got more tech help in seconds. Wohooo!

The rebuild kit for this is almost free, and supposedly takes about 15 minutes with ordinary tools. However, several years later, it still does not lose a molecule of air so i haven't attempted it yet. (i luv being able to rebuild my stuff without taking 2 vacation days from work)
If a sniper ever takes this thing out, or it gets gored by a rhino, etc. I am going for another Cane Creek.