Cane Creek AD-10 Rear Shock

Cold forged and machined 6000-series aluminum.

Garry Connolly   Weekend Warrior [Apr 16, 2006]
Strength:

Fits the Trek Y5 - much better than the Stock shox ...

Leaks , Won't Hold Air - Pretty concerned as not sure what shock I can replace it with.

Can anyone advise me on good replacement shox for my Trek Y5

As the AD10 had to be fitted unside down

Rich   [Jun 02, 2003]
Strength:

Does what it's supposed to do. Never have to maintain/pump it up--keeps its air.

None. Well, not as responsive to small bumps as I'd like, but that's also due to Sugar's XC racer-boy design.

The only reason I take a pump to this shock is to see if it leaked. 99.9% of the time it's just as I left it. As for maintenance, just wipe with a silicone rag and ride some more!

Similar Products Used: None. First f/s bike.
shawn   [Jul 03, 2007]
Strength:

very reliable, easy to adjust, light weight, simple design

this is a follow up review. i have owned this shock for 6 years now and have never once had a problem. i rebuilt it once about 3 years ago because i felt sorry for it, not because it needed it. i have always used a lizard skin shock boot, so the shock looks brand new still. bottom line- this shock works great, doesn't leak, is easy to work on if you want to work on it and the company is extremely easy to work with and very helpful if you have any questions about anything.

Similar Products Used: fox
Ryan D   Cross Country Rider [Nov 16, 2003]
Strength:

Soaks up almost everything everything. Easy to adjust to your weight. Cane Creek provides online owners manuals at their website. Good looks.

First 3-5mm of travel is very loose...almost a dead spot on mine. If I'm riding over small stuff like gravel, rocks etc it moves a couple of mm's and rebounds and hits. It's not annoying or loud or anything...I'm just wondering if it's supposed to do that.

I love this shock. Like I said, mine has a little bit of dead space if you're riding around in a gravel parking lot or something. Other than that this shock is amazing. Soaks up all the big stuff. Don't notice roots or rocks anymore. After riding this I will never go back to a Fox.

Similar Products Used: Fox Vanilla
jeff   Cross Country Rider [Jan 27, 2002]
Strength:

This is a good product. I've got approx 3000 miles of very trying usage on this shock in a sand, grit, salt air environment. No problems. It just works. Ride quality has not diminished. Just an occassional application of M-prep to the outer slide surface for stiction reduction & go riding for hours.

Fine prouct with no weaknesses. This thing is a winner.

Bryon   Cross Country Rider [Dec 10, 2003]
Strength:

Absolutely bombproof so far. Very low maintenance. Does not leak air AT ALL! I did not keep up with the shock servicing schedule (much less frequent than recommended). Despite this the shock has performed well and held up better than my Rock Shox fork. I kept it lubed and checked the air pressure frequnetly but rarely had to add air.

None so far.

Maybe not as trick looking as other shocks but performs well and as I said before is bombproof! Unless you want to pay too much for a shock that performs the same you can't go wrong.

Similar Products Used: none
Lamar Hall   Cross Country Rider [Sep 30, 2005]
Strength:

Maintance Free. Did not touch this shock other than to set my rebound and compression. After that I've been punishing it for five years.

After 5 years it finally gave out. Replace seals on shock but to no avail it just wont hold psi anymore.

Would have no problem recommending this shock. However, there are newer shocks out there with a bit more advancements if one is willing to spend the cash.

Darius Teter   Weekend Warrior [Oct 22, 2001]
Strength:

Light, easy to service, highly adjustable, plush, CUSTOMER SERVICE

Seals, but that is normal over time

Yes the shock is light and adjustable and easy to service. But what really impresses me is the customer service. Last year in the Philippines the endless rainy season resulted in heavy rusting og the compression and rebound adjuster screws. I sent an e-mail to Cane Creek asking if this was a problem and without hesitating they sent two new ones. Now I live in Mongolia and last week the seals finally gave up the fight. I sent an e-mail to Cane Creek asking if they could direct me to an online retailer that sold the seal replacement kit and 3mm spanner tool. Once again I got a message back saying the parts were being sent to me in Mongolia by UPS priority mail, no charge, no questions asked. Now folks, please understand, CUSTOMER SERVICE JUST DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT. I'll be sticking with their products forever.

Similar Products Used: Stratos AR-1, Romic T2
Ed Norris   Cross Country Rider [Nov 30, 2001]
Strength:

Two things: The whole shock. The Service/support
The shock is an elegantly engineered product with widely tunable, independent adjustments for Overall stiffness, compression damping, rebound damping, and progressiveness, WITHOUT CHANGING PARTS.
Has the plush ride of a high-end progressive spring coil, WITHOUT ANY DISCERNABLE "TOP-OUT" FEELING. That’s due to the "zero-sticktion" design- at rest, you're actually hovering between two opposed air-springs, defeating sticktion and top-out in one brilliant structure. Tiny bumps get spring 'n return with no damping or detectable friction (Your frame pivots will make a very detectable difference when you lube 'em!). Medium and large bumps just get "eaten up" by the shock, the rebound damping completely eliminates bounce, you can put just a tiny bid of compression damping to stop pedal bob, for a super plush ride. Technical maniacs can pump it up, dial in the damping and have a stiff, boulder-eater that performs like a hard tail. All wearing surfaces are included in the $10 rebuild kit, so it can live forever.

The service: These guys still think of themselves as "small" - I know cause when I told the CS rep I was starting to actually feel guilty for all the help, parts (100% my fault - reading the simple, one-page direx is a good idea before slapping on a wrench and twisting away!), customizing tips, upgrade offers etc.- he said so. So they're motivated as hell to make anybody's troubles vanish. And with the product as good as it is, that's not hard to do. Now support is helping me to modify the length and throw of a used one to fit my frame. They'll make shocks any length - they'll upgrade your existing shock, throw out the old one, and build one to your spec, for a fair price.

Ha! Haven't even met anyone who's owned one w/out loving it.

I bought a used one, and rebuilt it, even though it worked impressively after a 2 year furlough - - it's slicker'n snail snot now. Like your rear tire's on glass while you're front's on a trail. So I bought another. Same story. I hear the ad 12 is "even smoother" I don't know why they bothered.

Disclaimer: I am not now nor have I ever been an employee, dealer, friend or relative of same, etc etc of Cane Creek. I simply, from the point of view of a rider and an engineer, and a consumer, stand in awe of this product and company.