Vassago Bicycle Company ODIS 29er 29er Forks

ODIS 29er

• Double Butted chromoly straight blades
  • Ovalized crown for reduced flex
  • Fat-n-dirty crown design
  • ISO standard disc brake mounts
  • 467mm Axle-to-crown

Julius   Cross Country Rider [Jul 15, 2013]
Strength:

Balance is good, steering is very crisp and weight isn't so bad for a steel fork. My fork cut weighs in just over 2 pounds. It's an awesome 29er fork to beat around with. I've taken this fork on 12 hr endurances, multi-hr epics and anything else I can throw at it. It does not shudder under heavy braking which most steel forks will do. Vassago has a great sleeper product here.

Only two colors available: Black and Taupe with no cable guides.

This is my second review on this fork and am now near 5 years of heavy use (XC and AM). It is an amazing fork for the money. I have thought about suspension for upgrade and I'm having a hard time making that decision because of this fork. Buy it and you won't regret it.

Similar Products Used: Surly Karate Monkey
luvanicejump   Cross Country Rider [Apr 18, 2010]
Strength:

No frills, no flex.

No cable stays, but a minor inconvenience.

I ride 95% street, 5% hardpack trails.
After destroying 3 different tire and wheel combinations urban curb hopping, I found the set up I've been looking for.
Plenty wide enough to accommodate the fat apples and totally solid. 120.763% better than the Reba SL 29er shock on the better-o-meter. The whole bike felt like a wet noodle with the shock, but now it's precise, stable and lighter. Just like riding a huge BMX bike.
Also, being in the northeast, the cold weather would deflate the Reba shock. I couldn't stand it anymore. Having grown up riding rigid bikes, having a shock was no normal. This rigid Vassago was just the answer I was looking for and dirt cheap to boot.

Similar Products Used: none
corb   Weekend Warrior [Nov 23, 2009]
Strength:

As others have stated, it's a solid, no frills fork that is easy on the wallet. Lightweight.

No lawyer lips. No cable guides.

I bought this as a backup to my Reba when it blew a seal and I wasn't sure if I would have it fixed in time for an upcoming race. The part didn't come in time so I rode the ODIS fully expecting to hate every minute of the ride. Happy to say I was completely wrong. The race ended up being a mudfest from hell, but having the rigid fork actually helped. On rough and fast downhills you will be slowing down unless you have exceptionally strong arms and can hang on. That being said, once you get used to it, you don't even think about it and the ride is fantastic. With no moving parts, it's easy to take care of (obviously) and it looks good. With the right tire setup, you get just enough give on the bumps but no pedal-bob on the climbs. As far as my SS goes, I don't think I'll ever go back to a suspension setup. The lack of cable guides is bummer but get some Alligator Gripper guides and it's a non-issue.

Similar Products Used: None
PAmtbiker   Racer [Nov 08, 2009]
Strength:

stiff, relatively light weight (I guess), SMOOOOOOOTH. Definately flexes under heavy hits but that's exactly what I want for riding in the east coast gnar. I haven't ridden may rigid forks but a friend said that it felt smoother than his WB carbon fork.

ummmm... makes me want to ride rigid SS's all the time? Is that really a weakness

This is a solid, no-frills fork. It would be a good upgrade to any SS. Combined with carbon bars and Ergon grips, I have no problem riding all day with this fork. And that's on the east coast... Not expensive so 5 chilli's around...

Similar Products Used: Surly rigid fork...
dashSC   Cross Country Rider [Jan 30, 2009]
Strength:

Nice and cheap, compared to most 29er forks. Very reliable, never had any failure. Lightweight: 2.3 lbs.

No lawyer lips. This isn't a big deal unless you have weak skewers, like the Redlines I had initially. Once I acquired some decent ones [in this case, Salsa Flip-Offs], it mattered not at all. Does seem a bit flexy at times, but this may be partially caused by a lower-grade headset as well.

Very good rigid fork, especially for the price. Biggest problem I had was lacking the physical strength to manage some rougher portions. I literally hit myself in the face with my own arms on multiple occasions. :|

Similar Products Used: A wide variance of 26er forks, both suspension and rigid [and some that were suspension forks and acted like rigids].
BOAB   Weekend Warrior [Oct 28, 2008]
Strength:

Light weight, stiff, offset, lots of tire clearance.

no cable guides, but got DirtDog Skull guides

This is a great upgrade for the MC29er, better handling, lighter and stiffer. I used the Dirty Dog Skull cable guides to solve the cable issue. I also like that part of the purchase goes to IMBA.

Similar Products Used: none
racerdave   Cross Country Rider [Aug 29, 2008]
Strength:

Light weight, strong, corners great, good offset

no housing guides

Great fork, and a great upgrade from stock. It's lighter plus has more offset for quicker steering and handling. I like it and recommend it to any Monocog 29er owner.