RockShox Reba SL 29er 29er Forks

• 80mm travel
  • 1-1/8" threadless

• User Reviews (27)

gmascagni   Weekend Warrior [Dec 03, 2010]
    Strength:

Very Adjustable, remote lock out, dual air.

Weak seals

I had the fork less than two rides and the bottom seal blew. Remote lock didnt work and travel of the fork is hindered by all the oil sitting in the bottom of the fork. this is a 2010 model fork so apprently they have NOT fixed the issues others have reported with thier forks.

Similar Products Used: other RockShok SID, Fox Float, Lefty
    rob1208lv   Weekend Warrior [Nov 17, 2010]
    Strength:

Light Weight stout trustworthy (hasn't leaked) Dual Air

none really

I really like these forks I haven't had to do any unnecessary maintenance, were with my fox forks I had to change the wipers and seals 2 times in 1 year.

Similar Products Used: rigid, fox float, fox vanilla
    Holmes   Weekend Warrior [Oct 09, 2010]
    Strength:

Light, easy to tweak

poor quality control (at least on the 2009 models I have tried)

Rock Shox needs to take a good long look at their quality control. I went through FOUR forks - the first had pin holes in the magnesium lowers that leaked oil, the other three all hydro-locked within the first 15 minutes (or less) of riding.

The main problem is the lower damper seal housing (in the rebound chamber). It's a cheap plastic bit that holds the o-ring. If oil gets past it into the lower fork leg it will feel like the fork has almost no travel and is bottoming out constantly.

I eventually got PUSH Industries to rebuild my fork (paid for by LBS that sold me the fork) which includes a high-spec aluminum damper seal housing to replace the crap plastic bit from Rock Shox. That said - once rebuilt by PUSH it's a GREAT fork.

247   Cross Country Rider [Feb 28, 2010]
    Strength:

Adjustability, Price.

Put a 'Race' damper in it. Best Fork I have ever ridden. Small and Big bump compliance is Incredible. Uses all travel I can give it. Never had a 'Fox' but do not know how they could improve on this(Especially if it isn't as adjustable as the Reba). It is like having a whole new bike compared to the older Reba.

Similar Products Used: 2007 Reba Race 29er
    luvanicejump   Cross Country Rider [Dec 05, 2009]
    Strength:

takes sharp bumps well, adjustability I suppose....

DOES NOT FULLY LOCK OUT!!!!!
    When I want to lock the front out, it's almost as if the function doesn't even work. There's barely any difference. There should be a steel pin you can press in and out to truly lock out the front. I've biffed a few time because of bottoming out with the shock. I think I'm heading back to a stiff front end.

Can't stand this thing. I guess my head is hard wired from a very young age of riding BMX rigid bikes and learning to take the bumps and jumps with your body instead of having shocks. Can't stand shocks now...
    This is the first front shock I've ever had on a bike, but from the experience of it...I would have to be given a different one to try it. I'll never buy another front shock fork again.

Similar Products Used: none, first front shock
    davek   Cross Country Rider [Dec 02, 2009]

This is for a 2007 Reba -
    After souring on Fox because of incompetent, rude, and unhelpful customer service, I decided to try the Reba for my 29er(s). Maybe I have been lucky but I have had zero problems with this fork in more than 2 years. The positive/negative chambers allow a wide range of adjustment coupled with rebound and compression damping, which I tend to leave wide open.

I weigh 160 and race and I haven't felt the noodliness some complain of. It can be set to ride plush or stiffer for racing and I have found either way I rarely bottom it but get wonderful ride all the time.

I did replace the original seals with Enduro seals when I changed the travel from 80 to 100 and they actually ooze some oil, unlike the originals that lost nothing.

As a plus, I have had to contact SRAM a couple times for small parts and help and they have been the opposite of Fox - always incredibly helpful and accommodating. I hope they can keep that up, it makes a huge differenc to me. Older RochShox suffered from inadequate bushing size, poor reliability, etc. The takeover by SRAM appears to have corrected those problems.

I wonder if the leakage from the neg chamber that some complain of is just the inner valve stem having some dirt or being a little stuck. I have experienced that on the pos side but all that was required was removing/cleaning the valve core. Someone complained that the pos air leaked into the neg chamber and said the local shop put in Enduro seals and it didn't fix the problem. Of course that wouldn't fix it - those seals are jsut for the oil/air at the top of the leg. The seal between the pos and negs is inside the shock leg and could be replaced with a rebuild kit from SRAM.

I love this fork!

mamasitatire   Cross Country Rider [Nov 17, 2009]
    Strength:

Price

Lockout

Someone talked me back into Rock Shox now that they are owned by SRAM. Out of the box the lockout doesn't work - Called SRAM they said oil might be wrong or maybe compression something or other was broken - I said fix it so I can sell it on ebay and I am getting a FOX!

dillrepair   Cross Country Rider [Oct 01, 2009]
    Strength:

I have the 2010 model. perhaps some of the problems mentioned about previous models are gone. So far this fork appears very solid, very smooth, very adjustable. I've only had the bike for a few months so we'll see about reliability.

none that i've found yet... i want to purchase the remote damping adjuster because this unit begs to be played with on-trail.

It works well, and i haven't experienced any of the loose feel mentioned by other reviewers about previous model years.
    This is the best front fork I've ever ridden.... i dunno if that says much, but I'm impressed and enjoying it.