Fox Shox 34 Talas 29 140 CTD ADJ Fit 29er Forks

34 Talas 29 140 CTD ADJ Fit

Versatile and simple to tune, the Fox 34 Talas 29 140 CTD FIT Fork offers the latest in damping technology packaged in one of the most desirable long travel forks. Featuring the largest stanchions and most travel (140mm extended, and 110mm dropped) for a 29er fork to date, the 2013 34 Talas 29 opens up a new realm of riding possibilities for frame manufactures and riders to explore.Fox forks have traditionally been featured packed, offering the ability to make any adjustments needed to tune the fork for any condition. The only problem was the difficulty for the average rider to make knowledgeable tweaks to the forks. High- and low-speed compression, lockout threshhold, preload, and rebound are all common adjustments, but, for the guy who wants to ride, and not relentlessly and aimlessly tune a fork, this can have a negative effect on performance and user experience.With CTD, one lever quickly and easily switches the fork's compression to ideal settings for the task at hand. The Climb setting adds plenty of low-speed compression to mitigate bobbing when standing on the pedals. Trail mode offers moderate low-speed compression to balance efficiency with optimum trail manners, it's also independently adjustable with three settings; soft, medium, and firm. Finally the Descend setting features the optimum high- and low-speed compression for plush action on steep and aggressive sections of trail.Another key feature to this new Fox is a redesigned spring curve for forks 130mm and above. There's now a more linear spring rate. This is achieved by using a longer negative spring and by reducing the air spring?s compression ratio. The resulting curve gives these air forks a more coil-like feel, and it also uses more of its travel because the preload won't ramp up.The 2013 29er lowers are now nearly a half pound lighter than last year's comparable model. While that may not seem significant, keep in mind dropping mass from the lowers effectively reduces un-sprung weight ? which affects the amount of inertia the damper needs to control, resulting in enhanced suspension action. To drop the weight, Fox's engineers retained the Float's respected torsional stiffness by redesigning the brace, dropouts, and wall thickness.The 2013 Fox 34 Talas 29 140 CTD FIT Fork comes in Black with the smooth and durable Kashima coating on the stanchion tubes. It's offered here with a tapered 1.5 to 1-1/8in steerer and a 15QR axle.

Rich Pearson   All Mountain Rider [Dec 31, 2013]
Strength:

Stability: was missing on 32mm stanchions, but the 34mm makes up the difference.

None, I could list "Price," but you get what you pay for.

I am an all-mountain rider, not really a down-hiller: I'm over 40 and my body and my bike's health are important to me. I am pretty careful descending. I got MUCH faster downhill a few years back when I invested in a 26er - Specialized Enduro S-Works and I could bomb over anything as fast as anyone on the mountain. I bought a 29er this summer with a Rock Shocks Reba 120mm, and went back to being scared on the downhill. I climbed better, sure, but I was no longer confident dropping or flowing on the downhill. I decided to break my bank and invest in this fork (Fox 34 Talas 29 140 CTD ADJ Fit) - GREAT MOVE!

I am back to fast again. Maybe not quite as fast as the Enduro 26er let me go, but my confidence and stability is back. Took it on the Whole Enchilada in Moab and flew down the trail. I can fall down the drops along the Front Range trails of Colorado with ease and comfort.

Love the fork, glad I made the investment.