Fox Shox 32 Talas 29 FIT Terralogic 29er Forks

32 Talas 29 FIT Terralogic

Fox 32 Talas 29 120 Terralogic FIT QR15 Disc: The new 32 TALAS 29 offers riders 120 mm of our celebrated travel, along with the ability to decrease travel to 95 mm - on the fly - for enhanced bike handling when the trail points toward the sky...

mwarner57   Cross Country Rider [Apr 27, 2011]
Strength:

-Rigidity
-Terralogic works as advertised
-FIT Damper

-Expensive!
-Heavier than Reba

I just swapped out the '09 Reba SL on my Big Mama for a 2011 Fox Talas Terralogiic (both thru-axle). Rode with the Fox for the first time last night on some fairly extreme trails, and ended up using 4.5" out of an available 5" of travel. Here is my take:

Price: Ouch! I don't like to think about what I paid for the Fox, but could have brought 2 Rebas for that much.

Finish: Definitely the Fox. Sexy machined and anodized parts all around. If I had to sleep with a bicycle component, this would be the one.

Rigidity - Too close to call, although the Fox felt a tad sturdier. Note that my Reba was the '09 version which is MUCH more rigid that the older version.

Weight - Reba wins @ 3lbs, 13oz. vs. 4lbs, 2oz. for the Fox, both with steerers cut.

Durability - Time will tell. I have been running Rockshox for almost 20 years now without any issues. My first Fox blew the seals within 2 months, but it was first gen. Hopefully they have improved.

Damping - Here is where the Fox blows the Reba out of the water. All I did with the Fox is put in the suggested air pressure for my weight, set the Terralogic to 3 clicks out, and ride. Even though I could hammer out of the saddle with no reaction from the front end, it was still compliant over small bumps, all without touching a lockout lever. I could not feel the transition between "locked" and "unlocked" On the downhills where I used to have to put my nuts on the rear tire to keep the front end from diving over bumps, I could put my weight almost anywhere on the bike without worrying that I would be pitched over the saddle. I spent almost a year playing with the +/- air and motion control settings on the Reba and found that I ultimately had to choose between small bump compliance and front-end dive. I never came close to what I got from the Fox on the first ride. Didn't get a chance to turn the TL off, but my understanding is that once the threshold is broken, the damping is all from the FIT damper. Bad news is that my rear shock now feels like crap.

Similar Products Used: Rockshox Reba, Fox F100RL, Rockshox Revelation.
bskeeney   Cross Country Rider [Feb 23, 2011]
Strength:

use most all of fork travel with no penalty from pedaling forces either standing or sitting

incredible fork at absorbing anything thrown at it and staying firm in standing and seated pedaling.