RockShox Recon Gold TK Solo Air 2014 Forks

Recon Gold TK Solo Air

Terence   Cross Country Rider [Sep 28, 2015]
Strength:

Adjustability, Stability, Smoothness, Price, Perfect for XC, available in all wheel sizes.

None so Far.

This fork was an upgrade for me from the Rockshox XC 30, a fork that continues to serve me well but lacks compression dampening and weighs a lot relative to the Recon Gold. It came stock on my 2014 Giant 27.5 Hardtail. I have used the fork intensively for one season, and I am extremely impressed with its performance so far.

First of all, the fork is highly adjustable. It will feel completely different depending on the compression, rebound, and air settings. But don't let this discourage you: the fork is exceptionally easy to set up. All I had to do was fill the fork with air and I was good to go. I only really touch the compression dampening when I am going uphill at angles exceeding 50 degrees, and I have never had to touch the rebound dampening (came set right where I wanted it right out of the shop). That said, the options are there if you need it.

The fork is also very stable. It never really fights you and tracks the trail well enough that you can hold on when things get sketchy, but not too much so you can still pull wheelies and get the front end to do what you need it to do. I have bottomed the fork out before (a lot) when I was learning how much air was optimal, but I never even noticed except after the ride where I looked at the rubber marker on the stanchion and it was literally all of the way up. When it says 100 mm of travel, it means 100 mm. It will use it all, and you will not even feel it. For what appears to me to remain an entry level air fork, this is outstanding stability, and a HUGE upgrade from the Rockshox "XC" range. Building off of the stability, the fork is smooth, and has a great balance of small and large bump compliance. The fork can get a bit noisy sometimes with the sucking noises on big bumps, but I always wear headphones when I ride to I don't really notice.

The fork is also a good price. It remains relatively close to the beginner range gear, and so the price is not too ridiculous. Getting this stock on a bike that was $1300 is simply an amazing bargain value wise. The fork can be purchased online from anywhere from $300 to $500 for the newest model. I have seen unused 1 year old ones go for $180. I can imagine you could get it used from someone for dirt. Given this price, the fork simply has great value.

The fork is perfect for XC, and great for climbing. It handles rocks and roots with ease even at high speeds. However, this fork is not meant for prolonged descending (downhill mountain biking). Anyone who knows about the sport knows this, but I had to say it nonetheless. Regular descents? Sure, it will handle it. Descending 80 degrees for 2 hours? No way. That said it would make a great racing fork for XC races of long distances.

The only real weakness I could see is weight? I cannot imagine it being the best for weight given it's low price, but the only real way to shave weight on parts is to spend way more money, and this fork does not pretend to be "top tier" in the weight category. For me it is the lightest fork I have ever owned, but I do not really care about weight as I am pretty heavy myself.

Overall, I really recommend the product for people just getting serious about mountain biking or hoping to set up a trail machine that won't break the bank. It really is a demonstration of how top tier technology is trickling down to the entry level nowadays.

Similar Products Used: Rockshox XC 30, Rockshox Recon Silver.
OVERALL