RockShox Pike RCT3 Solo Air 2013 Forks

• Crown: Forged, hollow 7075 Aluminum
  • Maximum Rotor Size: 200mm
  • Axle: Maxle Lite 15mm

Alex   All Mountain Rider [Feb 06, 2014]
Strength:

35mm BLACK Stanchions, Lighter than Fox counterpart, incredible damping, stiff chassis, great adjust-ability, easy setup.

Expensive,and I'm still a fan of the Fox axle system over RS axle system. Small complaints.

I replaced my early model Fox 34 Float 150 that came on my Santa Cruz Bronson with the Rockshox Pike 150 Solo Air. The Fox factory tune on my fork was a little too plush when used in the "Descend" position, which forced me to ride the fork in "Trail" mode all the time and use excessive Low Speed Compression damping even though I'm a relatively light rider.
The opportunity came around to upgrade to a brand new RS Pike, and I have never been happier. My suspension feels like it finally compliments the damping characteristics of the carbon frame, and the stiff chassis is amazing over choppy stuff! The Pike was easy to set up, and most users will find that they don't have to fill the chamber with as much air as traditional air forks to keep it riding higher in the travel. All three damping positions through the RCT3 knob are noticeably different, and you can tune Low Speed Compression separately on some models. Riding/climbing in the "Descend' position still provides you with sufficient LSC damping.
I ride high volume tubeless tires and use carbon DH handlebars, so the combination makes you feel like there's a layer of cotton balls under your front wheel, while still feeling firm enough to absorb pre-loads and high speed compressions.

I've been riding the fork for about 3 months now, so I can't speak for its long term reliability. So far no signs of oil puking, air leakage, or change/wear in the feel of the suspension. Things are looking positive so far!

I can't speak for the rest of the Rockshox line-up, and only for the 27.5" Pike vs Fox 34, but I believe this is how suspension should feel. Stoked to see that there is progress being made, and that this is what we can look forward to in the future of MTB suspension.

Similar Products Used: Fox 34 Float 27.5"
Ollie   Weekend Warrior [Dec 29, 2013]
Strength:

Light, stiff, plush

Not crazy on all the stickers, axel lever seems a little puny (though fine so far)

This fork is replacing my trusty old RC2DH Lyrik which, while heavy and a little choppy on small chatter, has been reliable and reassuringly stiff compared to my previous foxes. I was a little worried the Pike might not be stiff enough considering the low weight an 15mm axle, but SRAM have a winner on their hands here. It has the Goldilocks combo - super plush, without being divey and way stiffer than anything in the same class (yes I include fox 34s here). The new damper feels really supportive too - especially on steep step-downs or high speed berms. This is a great option for aggressive trail riders at a very reasonable weight.

Its a little early to comment on reliability, but the performance is fantastic. Since I found it on a German mail order site for 30% under MSRP, I'm giving top marks for value.

Similar Products Used: Fox, RS, Manitou, Marzocchi
max_lombardy   [Dec 22, 2013]
Strength:

Looks, stiffness, plush, light, adjustable, the list goes on

Pricey!

I've run this on my SB-66c, and so far am loving it! I have a preference for Rockshox, just always liked the feel compared to Fox. I run a Revelation RCT3 on my trail bike, and I weigh about 155, and ride aggressive XC to Light AM. I never felt the 32mm Rev was weak or flexy, but I definitely notice the Pike is burlier. It pretty much feels like a Revelation on steroids, but maybe with a bit more refined damping. Who knows, maybe I just imagine it's more refined to justify my having spent 800 dollars on it. Who knows. Either way, I'm happy with it, and I really like how it has a sealed damping circuit because it cuts down on the maintenance! Definitely the best fork in this class, no doubt about it!

Leo   [Oct 02, 2013]
Strength:

Plush, responsive, flat out the best fork I've ever ridden.

I replace the fox 34 evolution ctd with the Rockshox Pike and it was like going from a honda civic to tesla. My Santa Cruz Bronson has never been happier with the combo of the Pike with the CCDB Air CS. With this set up there was no need for my DH bike anymore.. Do it all bike!