Cannondale Lefty Speed Carbon 2012 Forks

Lefty Speed Carbon

• Available as XLR or PBR version
  • Filament wound carbon outer leg, alloy clamps
  • OPI 3D-forged inner leg/spindle
  • 100mm travel, 1250 gr

PeT   Cross Country Rider [Mar 10, 2015]

Very light, stiffer than any other suspension fork, super supple, pretty easy to the expected regular maintenance, reasonable axle to crown distance doesn't screw up geometry, and absolutely rock solid lockout.

Pretty much needs a yearly maintenance with an experienced mechanic (best bet is to send it MendonCycleSmith during the week you know you won't be riding). Need to stay up on bearing resets and greasing the roller bearings.

I bought an older Cannondale Caffeine for my son that came Lefty equipped and when I rode it I knew I needed to get a Lefty on my 29er SS hardtail. I picked up a used Speed Carbon at the VeloSwap in Denver, had it overhauled and spaced for a 29er and had just about the best fork for XC use on the market for around $300. I would have paid 2 to 2.5 times as much for a comparably performing RS or Fox and it wouldn't have been as light nor would the lockout have been as good. I ride a SS and a completely locked out fork is a necessity for me when climbing out of the saddle. Both my fork and the boy's have been solid mechanically and well worth the money we've spent on upkeep. He's developed into a very competitive regional racer and hasn't outgrown the fork.