RockShox Sektor RL 2011 Forks

RockShox Sektor RL 2011 Forks

The RockShox Sektor RL isThe perfect example of RockShox’sTrickle downTechnology.The Sektor RLTakesThe great performance and chassis ofThe Revelation but at a more affordable price.The Dual Position coil spring reducesTravel and crownTo axle height by approximately 30mm without changing spring rate.The Motion Control damping andThe new Dual Position Coil inThe SektorTo absorbThe huge drops going down- hill and smooth outThe up- hill battle. Travel 150/ 120 or 140/ 110 depending upon

[May 27, 2017]
Michael snoddy

Strength:

I've had this fork for six years now and I still haven't serviced it. I know I should have a long time ago but it still feels just as good as the day I got it. Also doesn't have a whole lot of adjustment which I like because it's easier to make adjustments on the trail without worrying about messing up your set up .

I've never serviced this fork and it still feels great after six years. I also run with it really hard at 115 psi with 12 clicks back from the highest rebound setting.

[Mar 16, 2013]
phclaw

Strength:

Durable; plush; I've never had to think about it

None yet; maybe not "crazy-buttery-smooth", but it's a coil blue collar fork...

Built up a Specialized Pitch in early 2012, and got either a 2011 or 2012 Sektor RL 150mm coil with 15mm thru-axle on mavic en321 wheels and maxxis High Roller 2.35 tires. I really can't complain, it just does its job, and no issues after more than a year of hard riding. I'm an older all-mountain rider, so I'm probably not beating the absolute hell out of this that younger riders would be. But I've taken the bike and fork on two days of Northstar, and ride 3-5 times a week on Bay Area trails (JM Park, Demo, Skeggs, etc), and no leakage or issues and I get full travel and no harshness - and I'm on the wrong side of 2 bills weight-wise, so its carrying a load. It may not be quite as "magic carpet ride-like" as I've had on a blur lt/talas demo, but it's pretty damn close. And I paid something ridiculously low for it - something like $250 or $275. For sheer value and reliability, this fork has been gold.

[Sep 28, 2012]
Johnny RC
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Plush, predictable linear travel. The Coil felt way better than air to my Clyde self. No air pressure to mess with. Very stiff axle (15mm).

Lasted 2 summers. Expensive to repair, specifically bushings.

I bought this fork as it fit in my budget, but still had a lot of the features I wanted. (for the 150mm coil version) It is a great value in that respect. I am an all mountain rider, and this handled my enduro type rides, and the back country epics. It was easy to dial in, and there were no changes once set. I rode this for a little over a year, HARD, and then there was some front/back give in it. Figured the bushings were worn out, so took it to LBS for service. They took apart, then called me, as apparently the bushings are a part of some other innards, and it would have been $240 to replace them. That's 1/2 the cost of the fork new! It makes sense, as when I searched online, I could not find service kits for the sektor, nor any bushings. This was a disappointment as I loved everything else about the fork. I had the seals and oil changed, and it felt way better than it did, but still not like new. I eventually upgraded to a Lyrik coil, which I'm very happy with, and IS serviceable. I would say if you weigh in around 150lbs, and aren't the total bomber, this fork will last you a LONG time, and be a good value, but if you ride HARD, and are 180+, I'd say save up for something else like a revelation or a lyrik, as they're serviceable, and the lyrik is beefier at 35mm stanchions vs the 32mm of the sektor. And overall, I guess I really can't complain as I got about 2 years of hard riding out of the fork, and paid half the cost of some other forks.

Manitou Nixon, Marzi Bomber

[Apr 07, 2012]
PeloNZ

Strength:

Excellent small bump control. Linear spring curve. Adjustable compression damping. Sag indicator on stanchion. Handles big hits with aplomb.

Heavier than an air fork. Needs a large press through the handlebars to switch travel modes - lighter or weaker riders may have trouble.

My Fox F120 was leaking and worn from a few years of under-serviced abuse. Full travel was hard to achieve and larger hits were very harsh.
After a lot of research, the best bang-for-buck replacement I could find was the Sektor.
I bought the dual-position coil model, which switches between 110mm and 140mm travel, with the 9mm dropouts and 1,1/8" headtube. I really enjoy riding with this fork. The adjustable travel makes for an extremely versatile bike. The compression damping can be adjusted from bouncy to locked out. At high compression settings this fork will handle some solid drops without flinching. Rockshox excellent sag guide makes for foolproof setup. Full travel can be reached, without harsh bottom-out, unlike my old F120 which never reached full travel unless there was nowhere near enough air pressure.
Overall - The Sektor DPC is serious value for money, and can make any trail bike more versatile.

SR Suntour XCM, Rockshox Tora 302, Fox F120

[Nov 14, 2011]
hardtailharry

Strength:

easy to adjust, easy to install. smooth over the the hard stuff and plush on the singletracks. PRICE!!! this shok rocks!

its not a(ferrari) ie. fox shock. so if you just want 2 spend mony and look kool forget it.

IF you dont want to spend and arm and a leg for forks this is it. superior quality and performance without the out of control price. I have an entry level mtb. with stock rst 80mm forks (garbage). its night and day difference. Now I roll with my full suspension buddy's without the 5k cost. I am 250lb this shock cares less. other reviews suggest to change the spring for bigger riders. NOPE ! buy it, leave it and RIDE the crap out of it. ITS JUST THAT SIMPLE! ENJOY I am.

revelation

[Jun 12, 2011]
seano26

Strength:

Super smooth, perfect amount of travel, durable, lightweight, small/large bump compliance, price!

Every other biker who doesn't have one will cower before you on the trails.

Amazing fork, best I've ever ridden or demoed. I highly recommend this fork to anyone doing XC or AM riding, absorbs small bumps like they don't even exist and you will find it quite difficult to bottom out unless your doing some next-level downhill or dirt jumping. Super smooth tracking and can adjust from 100-140 mm on the coil u-turn model. This makes it perfect to adjust to the trail conditions. At only about 4 or 500 bucks it performs great. I weigh 145 and that puts the fork at about 10-15 percent sag, so depending on your weight you may want to change the spring.

Rockshox dart 1, dart 3

[Jun 05, 2011]
littlefelt

Strength:

Lots of adjust-ability
Awesome price for how much suspension movement and technology involved in the fork
Amazing performance on the trails. I can fly down the bumpy trails with ease.

Cable housings easily scratch paint (Happens with ALL forks)

The best fork for the money! I spent many hours researching and running to bike shops around town looking for the best product with the most movement and controls for the best price. Before looking at the really "high end" forks with the same 140mm travel and controls, take a good look at this one. You won't be sorry! Excellent Product, Rock Shox!

Stock Spinner Edge 120mm
Rock Shox Dart 3
Suntour 100mm

[May 25, 2011]
c-dale99

Strength:

Low Price, smooth controls, simplicity, smooth controls, light weight for a coil!

Lack of floodgate (if you need it). Weight (compared to air)

Bottom line is that for the price this is an outstanding coil fork. It's light, has minimal controls, works well, and U-turn is super smooth. It's stiff and tracks well.

Sektor has unbelievable small bump compliance and has taken 4 ft drops w/out hesitation. Feels like the Pike, but has more travel, and it's .5lbs lighter! Feels better than the Rev, in both small and large bumps, but the Rev is lighter.

Super happy with the fork and it's been super reliable so far, despite me beating the snot out of it.

Stock spring is great for 160-180lb rider. Rider wt heavier or lighter, go with another spring.

Fox Talas, Rockshox Rev, Pike.

[May 21, 2011]
seemlessstate

Strength:

Hits a price point that bridges the gap between entry level forks with things like steel uppers, and overpriced forks with things like "terra-logic"

100-140 adjustable travel is nice. takes 4 foot drops fine, and has good small bump sensitivity.

finish still looks new after 3 months of riding in Florida. its rocky, rooty, and has lots of things to scuff a fork on, but its holding up well. We will see after a summer of riding in Colorado. I have a feeling that it will be even better on rolling single track, than on florida trails with giant roots and short 45*-50* climbs.

its a perfect fork for the actual mountain biker who doesn't want to have a bike that is worth more than his car.

not entirely adjustable (coil version), its not the most "bling" fork in the world. compression knob has 6 clicks but seemingly 2 real positions. Plush, and Too Stiff (and locked out if you want to count that)

A great fork for the money. Sure, it isn't as advanced or flashy as a Fox or a SID, and isn't made of carbon fiber woven from God's pubic hair, but it works damn near as well.

i Found with my previous 2 Fox forks, I was constantly fiddling with all the little knobs. it was fUn at first, but becomes a distraction later. i would find myself wanting to stop riding to adjust some knob. the forks themselves were great, but honestly at $700 for the cheapest fox, not really worth the extra cash. Sure, if you compete, or are an international banker/mountain biker, go for it.

With the Sektor, it is plenty adjustable, but seems to adapt well without minuscule adjustments.

if you want to build a well specced bike that performs well under what 95% of recreational mountain biking includes, but not take out a second mortgage. then the Sektor should be on your short list.

Disclaimer: I weigh 145 With overnight gear, food and water, so more like 135 on a normal ride, so keep that in mind when I say it handles 4 ft drops fine. the issue with the compression might have something to do with my weight?? if you weigh 215, then i cant speak for you.

Several Fox's from 100-130mm, Specialized, Revalation (which the sektor is apparently based on?) Reba, older manitou's and RS

[May 20, 2011]
flor385

Strength:

Works great, lightweight (around 2 kg for the 100/140 coil uturn).

None.