RockShox Recon Silver 2011 Forks

Recon Silver

Recon Silver offers exceptional value with high-end features likeThe Poploc remote. 100mmTravel (can be adjustedTo 80 or 120mm by disassemblingThe fork and installingThe included All-Travel spacer) Claimed 2,068 grams 1 1/8"Threadless steererTube 74mm post mount for disc brakes Rim brakes cannot be used

judge dredd   [Aug 17, 2012]
Strength:

very adjustable and versatile, rebound damper works great. Stiff enough for XC or trail.
I am very satisfied

none yet

I have upgraded the motion control compression damper with adjustable floodgate and fork is now magnificent

GT_LTS_XC_AM   Cross Country Rider [Feb 17, 2012]
Strength:

Great value, affordable, rigid enough for cross-country and some all-mountain riding, adjustable rebound dampening, and lock out with blow off feature.

Factory rebound dampening severely under dampened when setup for heavy or aggressive riders. It needs compression dampening with adjustments. More serious riding may require most adjustability for preload, high speed and low speed dampening adjustments, and more rigidity.

I upgraded to the RockShox Recon Silver TK - Solo Air. I needed a upgrade to handle disc brakes on my vintage bike. I miss having the ability to have, to control, or to adjust the compression dampening. My usage, fortunately, needs mostly rebound dampening. Because am a heavy rider and ride a bit aggressively, I have to run the forks near maximum PSI for the Solo Air adjustment (225 PSI maximum). With that much pressure, the rebound dampening is severely weak. With the dampening adjustment set to the slowest setting, results in still not enough dampening and you hear bubbles being force through the damping on big hits. The fix was simple. Replace the stock fork fluid on the upper tube on the drive side. I changed it from the stock 5 weight to a thicker high quiality 15/20 weight with anti-foaming properties. I also removed the Solo Air spacer to increase the travel from the default setting of 100mm to 120mm. I can now run the rebound dampening adjustment near full open. The fork now allows for maximum front tire traction through fast or technical trails.

For the budget minded, rider who just does not need all the adjustability features, or need a basic cross-country fork, this gives the best bang for the buck value. The performance is smooth and predictable. I would recommend others to buy this fork. BTW, it looks cool in white as well.

Similar Products Used: Fox Float, Rockshox Judy XC
BaggiesOnly   Weekend Warrior [May 31, 2011]
Strength:

Value for performance

None yet

I put this fork on because I wanted to upgrade to an air fork on my 2005 Trek. I have the same fork on my 2011 Rockhopper SL Pro 29er and really like it. I have to say, I am even more satisfied with this version of the fork. The adjustable travel works great and the rebound is working sweet for my 205 lb athletic frame.

All in all, for the money this fork is great for the weekend warrior who hits the cross county trails hard. Rockshox Recon Silver has my two thumbs up.

druelli   Cross Country Rider [Apr 16, 2011]
Strength:

Solid, easy to handle

nothing until yet

I changed my old Front End, a Rock Shox Judy 1 to the Rock Shox Recon Silver Solo Air and it feels like i have a new Bike. I tested it on easy to ride Single Trails on my " after Work Quicky Track". The Fork works great, where the Front End was shaking and rumbeling with the old Fork, with the new one there is .... nothing. The Fork keeps the Front End verry calm, all the Pumps and Holes seemed to be flatten with a flat Iron. The Setup of the Fork is easy and quick, on the Fork you will find a Sticker with Driversweight and the recomended Airpressure, with the included Forkpump you can adjust the Pressure and thats it. At the Bottom of the Fork you adjust the Rebound from "Rabbit to Turtle", if you choose a middle Position you have a good basic adjustment. If you like to make some Changes during a Tour it takes one Minute to do that. As soon as it stop raining here in Vienna i like to Hit some tricky single Trails and Downhils to look how the Fork work there. But until yet i am verry happy with the Recon, it keeps the Front End calm and its a good value for the Money.
If you are loocking for a fine working XC Fork you will be happy with the Recon silver.