RockShox Recon Trail 351 Solo Air 2010 Forks

• Crown: Forged 6061 T-6 Hollow Aluminum
  • Upper Tubes: 32mm, 7000 Series Straight Wall Aluminum

[Jul 12, 2010]
Farmer Ted

Strength:

relatively light, smoooooth travel, Rock Shox simplicity and durability

fixed floodgate releases sooner than I'd like it to, but that's pretty minor

This review is for the 140mm version and I'll tell you that If you want a relatively light trail fork with good
adjust-ability that's reasonably stiff and super plush, then look no further than the Recon.

If you look at the specs, you'll see that this is basically the same fork as the Reba but with solo air (instead of dual), straight walled stanchions (instead of tapered for lighter weight) and a non adjustable floodgate.

This is my first long travel fork and it's just what I want it to be...super plush. It just eats up rocky terrain, it's really amazing. I don't use much rebound damping on shorter travel forks but the motion control damping really comes into it's own on this fork, very nice.

I'm running my fork relatively soft with quite a bit of sag and because of this, it dives quite a bit during hard braking (not using compression damping) and you don't want to get out of the saddle and mash the pedals because you'll be bobbing away. but if you stay smooth, it will climb well and descending is a treat. I don't know why you'd spend a lot more to get a few extra adjustments that you don't really need. I prefer the simplicity of the solo air system over a dual air system anyway.

The Recon is a great fork for real people with real budgets.