Marzocchi 888 RC3 EVO 2010 Forks

Like your DH rig to go where it's pointed Step up to a Marzocchi 888 RC3 and send it off sketchy stunts, fly over jagged rock gardens, and point-it down wicked-loose trails with accuracy. A new dampening system keeps your frontend planted, while a proven, ultra-precise chassis fights deflection better than last year'sthanks to redesigned, freshy-fresh, oil flowin' bushings. From chairlifts, to starting gates, to hanging off the back of pickups, the Marzocchi 888's ready to smooth the rough stuff

giantsaam   Downhiller [Dec 09, 2009]
Strength:

Initial stroke is amazingly supple with good ramp up into the heavy hits without a harsh bottom out. Highly tunable to every style of big mountain riding.

Knobs are a little confusing

Initial thoughts
It's not to long after interbike and I got a 888 evo in my grubby little paws. So after thrashing this fork a couple of days and getting it dialed in I decided to give you my initial views. Ok so this fork has a few knobs which to a novice can be a little overwhelming it has rebound and air volume on top left and compression on the bottom of the left leg and the spring preload is located on the top right. The one thing I did not like is the compression, preload, and air volume labels just say "hard - soft" and don't explain what they do individually.

Damping
Marzocchi said with the stock spring it could accomodate most users and bieng 200lbs of human wrecking ball figured I could put it to the test. The first thing I noticed on this fork was how much better small bump compliance this fork had over my 2009 Totem it felt very similar to the initial stroke of my 2004 888 works. The second was that with the use of the air volume knob I could control the progressiveness of this fork to match the rear which is not easy due to the bike bieng it's super compliant and then ramps up towards the middle of the stroke.

Ride
The ride of this fork is amazing it is so smooth and progressive all without dropping a ton of coin on custom tuning. I first let it rip on some fast single track with big flowy turns and nice water bars this fork stuck to the ground letting you easily breach the 30mph mark without blinking. The second part of my test was Colorado rock gardens which are very chunky with lots of loose rock trying to plow my way down the middle of chutes. I initially had to much compression and preload and not enough ramping that it made the bike a little uncomfortable at first but then with a few turns of the knobs and a trip back to the top I had this fork dialed. It took square edge hits very well without hard spiking and took some smaller 1-5ft rock drops at high speed with ease. I will further push this fork over time and hopefully after my foot is 100% I will get some 5-15ft drops in.

Similar Products Used: 2004 Marzocchi 888 w/works, 2008 rockshox boxxer team, (4) 2007 - 2009 Rockshox totems
CapricornZA   Downhiller [Nov 19, 2009]
Strength:

Plushness, stiffness, out of the box experience : fit_and_forget

none yet

Fearfactor with this purchase was huge, as I've heard all the bad news with Marzo '08 and '09 products. Took the leap of faith and the net appeared. Off the bat, stock settings, it was velvety smooth. Incredible stiffness gives inch perfect confidence in the rockiest, loosest corners. Havent used many similar products, but this marzo is special. Peeps need to exorcise the old marzo ghosts and pony for some classic marzo butter.

Enough gushing: whilst not really needing to change the stock settings, I have played around with air volume and compression. Currently sitting 2 clicks off max compression. Changes in compression per click are very subtle, but definitely can be felt when hitting the rough stuff at speed. Users manual is pathetic really, with zero assistance when it comes to setting up the fork. I guess for the hardcore rider: change, ride, rinse and repeat is order of the day, but it would be nice to be guided without resorting to full scale testing for each change made.

But that's about the only 'gripe' I have. Just wish more folks would get the marzo 888 RC3 EVO. brilliant brilliant fork!

Similar Products Used: 2007 marzocchi 66 bomber RC2x
mjdthunder   Downhiller [Nov 17, 2009]
Strength:

Extremely plush(new bushings are slotted=smoother), built to last, tight tolerances for 010', plenty of bottom- out resistance and side to side stiffness is unreal. Low maintenance-put it on and dont worry about servicing every month.

None so far

I have owned the 66 rc2x, fox 40, the 08, 09, and now 010 888 EVO, and I have to say Marzocchi is back with a vengeance. Begining stroke is even more plush than previous Marz. forks, and I can get all of the travel on this fork without the worry of bottoming out like my fox 40. The side to side stiffness on this thing is unreal so you can attack ruts and rugged terrain with out breaking a sweat. Lowers are not egg shells like some forks. This fork is a flippin blast...get it grin and rip all the way down your favorite DH trail!

Similar Products Used: Marz.06,08,09-888's, Fox 40, 09 888 ATA, 66RC2x
singletracking   Downhiller [Oct 31, 2009]
Strength:

The stiffest fork I have ever rode. Super plush right out of the box. Drop into a rutted out boulder infested section and the fork will hold any line with authority. Plenty of bottom out controls allowing you to make the fork linear or more progressive. New graphics.

I was finally motivated to upgrade from my 2007 888 to the new EVO 888 2010. This is the fork I have been waiting for! The spring is plush out the box and there are plenty of adjustments to control bottom out. This fork has taken my riding to another level. Marzocchi has done everything right on this fork including kick ass graphics.

BUY IT!!!