SR Suntour SF9-XCR RL 2009 Forks

• Dustseal: Metal inserted type
  • Crown: Alloy

[Apr 08, 2014]
David Simons

Strength:

Yep, 5 stars for a Sun tour fork. Why? On my Trek 29er, this XCR fork works extremely well. Another fork, e.g. a Fox or Rockshox, would have made the bike more expensive, unnecessarily. Yes, it could be a little lighter, but by how much really? This is NOT your standard OEM Sun tour fork as fitted to many, many low end name-branded bikes

Nice if it was lighter, but lighter forks cost a whole lot more

Looking for a good fork and want to spend a little cash? Buy the XCR.

[Jul 13, 2012]
Eyeball

Strength:

Great travel and i've never bottomed them out and I go pretty quick on carron valley campsie trails. Plush and great lockout function. Quick on engaging and stiff. Not too heavy.

Have to be serviced at least twice a year. I had water in mine. They were starting to stick. Could do with better seals. Unfortunately I way about 200pounds so I might be a bit heavy for them to be pretty stiff.

All in all probably the best fork in its price group and more.

I had rst team 281s on my saracen dirt sport trax pro and they seized and rusted inside.

[Feb 20, 2012]
Skrufryder

Strength:

Lock out,easy maitenance,STRONG

weight? aluminum steerer would be cool Sometimes wish I could get one with V brake boss's only cus it would be nice to put on some older frame builds

Man Awesome forks so far, just took em a part to clean them,supper easy! 5min job tops.Lock out is awesome. I like the fact you can compres the suspension then lock it out and ride. I like that for goin up the hills. works great for commute which is urban assult for me, it also takes the trails great. There like them timex watch's.

manitou black&minute marzochi bombers various rock shox sr nex

[May 29, 2011]
M.C.

Strength:

Fairly Stiff, inexpensive, not heavy, appears well built, plush.

Preload adjuster is for decoration only. This is a big drawback

This is a fork for mild trail riding, not aggressive mountain biking. I love the Suntour Epicon fork I bought for my GT 1500 XCR, so I thought I'd give the XCR a try. Not a great choice for xc riding, in my opinion. I weigh about 170 lbs, and the fork compressed way too much for my comfort level during aggressive xc riding. Over flat rooty trails it is great. Even climbing it work pretty well. But if I went over an unexpected drop, the fork would nearly bottom out, compromising my control of the bike. To be fair, this probably has as much to do with my mediocre riding talent as it does with the design of the fork. Still, after replacing it with and Epicon fork, my riding ability seemed to improve dramatically. Buy this fork for mild trail or street riding. Buy something else if you really want to get aggressive (however, for $50 - what I paid - there is nothing else).

Rock Shox Dart 2, Suntour Epicon.

[Mar 03, 2011]
PistonShins

Strength:

Cheap , strong

Slight leak

Good For light use , well balanced.

RST OEM

[Oct 19, 2010]
Chicko Tan

Strength:

it has a lockout and rebound adjustment

its weakness is its weight

its great for those early riders.

[Apr 30, 2010]
sjumpr1

Strength:

plush, responsive, look good, light for the money

none so far

Bought these for my Hardrock and they were good. Through unforeseen circumstances they ended up on my Rockhopper and they are fantastic. They seem to mesh with M4 frame much better than the A1. Work like the much more expensive forks I've owned. Definately consider the frame when you choose forks. The hidden potential of some more inexpensive forks can really come out on higher end bikes. Plus I weight 230lbs and they hold up perfectly. I think cheaper forks actually work better with a heavier rider considering the limited damping capabilities of most inexpensive forks. Excellent fork upgrade and won't break the bank. Great for XC not DH or dirt jumping. Will take small, short drops.

rockshox, fox, rst

[Feb 08, 2010]
Tuifu

Strength:

Came with bike.
Works fine for a budget coil spring fork. Lockout is OK. Low maintenance, just clean and lube the stanchions after a ride, and if you're keen grease the coil when you feel it needs it (once a year?).

By the way the "stickers with bubbles under" are a protective film, peel them off to reveal the transfers!

You have to buy/change the spring if you are light &/or lady or heavy, but that's coil forks all over. You also need a special-tool plastic spanner.
Lockout doesn't have a blow off if you forget to release it and hit something big.
Takes a few rides to loosen up the stiction, but that seems normal.

This is a decent fork, and for the money is good value. As a trail centre, XC, and new rider's fork this will do the job. Hard riders should look elsewhere.

Rockshox SID 100

[Feb 01, 2010]
SkinsFan

Strength:

good value works good lockout remote nice to have

the stickers are cheap and have air bubbles other than that its good

the fork is a good fork, very good value and the lockout remote works excellent.

rockshox dart 1, sr suntour xc60

[Jan 27, 2010]
trancepace

Strength:

Come with the bike .Great fork for the price ,i like it, comfortable,and remote lock is also good.My feeling is good for XC, even for some harsh XC.

Make noise when going on a smalle jump,(or harsh XC,kind of not cool noise.
Weaknesses:?nothing for this price.

Maybe some better stickers with some cool logo on it.

Longtime ago , RS mag21 (great fork)