RockShox Sid World Cup 2009 Forks

• Dual Air spring system
  • 1-1/8" threadless, custom butted aluminum steerer
  • Updated 32mm 7000-series straightwall aluminum stanchions
  • Updated 1-piece magnesium lower legs
  • Quick release dropouts and disc brake mounts

angelogulane   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2011]
Strength:

Very light, Plush Feel, Very Stiff, Adjustable.

It's tricky to set it up but once you set it it's awesome. Stiffer than Fox 32's and plusher. Super light weight fork.

Similar Products Used: Fox 32 F-series, Suntour Epicon Rld, Rockshox Dart 3
CruzDemon   Cross Country Rider [Mar 10, 2010]
Strength:

+ Stiff
+ Plush
+ Super Adjustable
+ Light
+ Looks the part in SID Blue!

For the type of fork, none that I can think of so far. Perhaps maintenance intervals?

Will update as time goes on...

Bearing in mind this is a super-light race fork, I am impressed!

Out of the box it is wonderful. The fork is super adjustable and very easy to set-up.

Making sure that you set it up with the proper sag, the fork feels super plush and super smooth.

On the trail it tracks wonderfully and predictably. World Cup light, but yet it trail tough! Soaks-up small and large bumps like a champ. A night and day change over the SID of yore...

The lock-out is also easy to set-up, and works as it should.

Finally, addctd2adrnlne is a clown. A 2.1 tire has TONS of room...you could easily fit a 2.35 with a bit of room. I weigh in the neighborhood of 170 as well, and the fork is stiffer than s/he claims...

Similar Products Used: SID Team, SID Race, R7, Psylo, F-Series, TALAS...
addctd2adrnlne   Racer [Oct 22, 2009]
Strength:

Plush feel. Well designed remote lock out. Low weight.

Not stiff laterally. Limited to running narrow tires(less than 2.1)

The 2009 Rock Shox SID was a considerable improvement over previous generations of SID forks. However, the fork suffers from a weak arch and therefore is susceptible to fork lean. I couldn't run a Kenda Nevegal 2.1 without tire rub with this fork. I was forced to run narrow tires even in loose sandy conditions where a large volume tire would have been ideal. It is very plush, and the small bump sensitivity is great. So if you are a light rider and typically run narrow tires, this is a great fork. But if you are in the neighborhood of 170 lbs (my weight) and need to run a larger volume tire, you might want to consider a Fox or Magura fork.

Similar Products Used: Magura Durin. Fox Terralogic. Previous SIDs. Fox F-32 series.
Life and Liberty   Racer [Jul 09, 2009]
Strength:

Straight out of the box you can tell that this is a well crafted fork. The crown race taper is very smooth. It is easy to install and setup - setting positive and negative air is rather easy & there is a handy guide right on the fork. Additionally the laser etched measurements on the stanchion are a nice touch.

My first test ride was actually a weekday race - so I did not hold back. I weigh 180, and the fork was set at 120 positive pressure, 130 negative pressure.

I really like how stiff this fork is. I was very able to make confident movements around a fairly narrow and twisty track. The fork really does climb well, and like any good thoroughbred, this fork loves speed through technical sections. My first impression is that this fork lives up to the reviews of being a rugged lightweight fork.

I really liked this fork and was grinning ear to ear racing it around the short track. I should mention that I am not out there to win races or anything - I wanted a fork that I could race and take to rocky places and still have a lot of fun. So far - so good.

I have heard that the world cup for requires world class maintenance. That said, if I am in for an annual overhaul... this is a very nice fork & is work the hundred bucks or so to keep it in top working order.

Normally I would not buy a fork with ANY carbon fiber on it... but I read up on the design and decided that the carbon reinforced power bulges was a safe bet. To each their own... the SID race is 50g heavier with no carbon & I considered this for a good little while.

I don't see a ton of room for error with this fork - I know some reviews have spoken about 3' drops & whatnot but I would NOT put this fork through anything like that. Possibly a Reba, and definitely a Marzochi - but in my opinion this is not a small jump fork.

Lots and lots of grinning. This is a great fork, especially so for racing. It is stiff, rugged and confidence inspiring.

It costs an arm and a leg. No two ways about it. At this price point, you have many options and the SID is not the lightest. I find that if you want a strong all around fork - you won't go wrong with this. For someone like me who races and trains on the same bike this makes sense. The caveat being I will be SURE to take this fork in for regular maintenance.

This is a light, strong, stiff race fork. I had a blast taking it out & whipping it around. It is highly adjustable & I recommend taking a shock pump out with you on the trail until you find the settings that work for you.

In conclusion - this is a winner from Rock Shox. Buy it if you can afford it and to maintain it.

Buy it if you are racing, and want a fork that can handle racing and training.

Don't buy it if you are looking for an amazing value.

Definitely don't buy it if you do any kind of jumping / hot - dogging / rough riding. While I think the fork can handle anything you call cross country, you can bottom this out without working too hard.

Value - 4 chilis b/c cost. (If the Team rides this nice, and it probably does - that is the real value).

Overall Rating - 5. This fork kicks @$$.

Similar Products Used: I had a 2004 marzochi mx comp... not really similar b/c that is a half coil half air fork.
ajy129   Racer [Jun 29, 2009]
Strength:

Stiff as the 09 Fox F-Series 100 rl 32 and buttery smooth. Stiff as the Reba and light as.

None as yet!

Although I have only ridden these forks for less than a month they have proved awesome to me already.Light,and corner as if on rails. They are stiff and have no torsional flex (but I am only 60Kg)and are smooth as. I have done a few jumps and have handled them like a fox if not better!!
These are an awesome fork and are great for trail riding or xc racing. The only downside would be the price if buying at regular price.(gives you a bit of street cred at races! :))

Similar Products Used: 09 Fox F-Series 100 rl 32,07 Rockshox recon
sbtcat   Cross Country Rider [Feb 25, 2009]
Strength:

Very light weight. As Stiff as any 32 Fox maybe even stiffer!
Pop lock has the best trigger engagement. Way Better then the Fox/shimano thing. This thing is smooth out of the box. Titanium spring feels fast and supple.

Tricky to set up. Has a positive and negative air chamber. I cant change the rebound by hand. Once you set if it's awsome, but not on the trail tunable like a fox.

If you got the money, then buy it. The only sicker right now is the DT Swiss XMC. Fast fork outta the saddle. supple and stiff. 3.1 pounds what more can you ask for. oh yeah it's STIFFFF!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: FOX RLC 32. other Sid's.
ibis ripley   Cross Country Rider [Nov 16, 2008]
Strength:

light,smooth,lateral strength

Negative air cap is hard to unscrew,remote lockout is either on or off

Although expensive (wich I reflect in my four chilis value rating) a xc rider could not want for any better. I only have about five rides on it but this fork is sweet. Fork is right at home on our Kentucky single track. I set it up for 80mm travel since this fits my frame the best. I have hit a few drops, the largest being around 3' and the fork has never bottomed out and handled these smoothly. I haven't needed to lock out the fork, and I have never felt my front wheel track the terrain in corners the way it does now, hooked up!