RockShox Revelation 426 2009 Forks

• 1-1/8" threadless aluminum steerer
  • Dropout: 20x110mm Maxle-Lite or Quick Release

[Jun 07, 2011]
kattrap

Strength:

U-Turn, lockout

leaks

110 and open: pump track
110/120 and locked: steep road climb (to get to sweet singletrack)
140 and open: almost everything else that Santa Cruz trails have to offer.

Bought it used, seals had been replaced once already. Garbage oil coming out of places that other forks do not. LBS shop worker shrugged it off.
Takes a beating, keeps on eating up the bumps.

Nice to have a fork that works fine on pump tracks, singletrack and small jumps. I'd rather have a talas, but the price was right.

Float, Tora, Dart (yeah, this one not so similar)

[Apr 27, 2010]
Phil

Strength:

feels plush on big hits
adjustable

remote lockout broke and I can't get them to warranty the pos

I quit riding rockshox around 1996 because they just fell apart and leaked oil all over the place. After years on Marzocchi forks, I decided to try the Revalation. It turns out, RS still makes junk that just falls apart. However, they now have their warranty service so convoluted that you might as well toss your fork when something goes wrong. The only good part is that now that the warranty has expired, I don't have to waste my time trying to get service.

Nice fork when it worked; but,I really regret not spending a little more for a TALAS

a bunch

[Nov 03, 2009]
tommygunn

Strength:

plush, stiff, great riding highly adjustable

seals/compression cartridge in the left leg has blown out twice

well this fork rides great when it worx if it worx but mine has spent half it's first year in the shop.

I've ridden quite a few forks in the 5" range in my quest for the perfect trailbike fork, I'm not a jumper but looking for a solid through axle fork to get me through the ruff stuff here in Colorado. I bought this fork in the spring of 09 i had been considering getting the pike then they came out w/ a rev 140 w/ the maxle lite so i jumped on that. i had been looking for a 5.5" fork w/ a 20mm through axle and the RS Rev or Pike are some of the few forx that match this description.

I had the fork for about 6 weeks and the compression cartridge in the right leg blew out. the fork was in the shop for 6 weex waiting on RS to send a new cartridge finally got the fork back in action and within 5 rides the cartridge blew out again then the fork was in the shop another 8 weex before RS sent a "2010 cartridge" haven't ridden the newly rebuilt fork yet but so far this fork has spent more time in the shop than on the trail. when it's working it's a great feeling fork, very stiff relatively light, plush...

i've had good luck w/ RS stuff before, liked how the forx were plusher than fox and at a better price point, but after this experience i dunno. it's also frustrating that the 2009 Revelation was only on the market for something like 8 months then RS debuts a totally new 2010 version w/ a new chassis and .4 lbs lighter. it's like adding insult to injury to come out with a whole new fork after I waited on the current model and then dealt w/ all of the blow outs. kinda doubt i'll be doing the RS thing again after this experience.

07 RS revelation 426 dual air uturn, fox float 130 rlc, RS Reba, Manitou Minute

[Oct 21, 2009]
Senor StrongBad

Strength:

Easy to set-up. Remote lock out rocks.

does not come in yellow

This fork is sweet. especially with the 20mm maxle. The remote lock out function is great and if you learn to use it become second nature. I am surprised that it feels so endless in its travel and yet eats up the little bumps and well as the big drops. I am so far really happy with this fork. While the lock out feature is great for when you get up out of the saddle and sprint up hill, it is not needed for most other climbs as the fork does not bob around on you. It looks better then the dull fox grey and is just as light as its conterparts. I do wish it had the hight adjustment the talas has but this is a small caviate. It is the best fork I have riden to date. Rockshox gives you the most bang for our buck. I have this on a $5500.00 dream bike and wouldn't think of trading it in for another fork. If you are looking for a 140mm travel fork look no further. If there where more flamin chilis then 5 I would give it more for its value.

fox float, marzocchi marathon, reba.

[Aug 26, 2009]
Rickterrusty

Strength:

What Can say that gives this shock justice. The 140mm of travel with the U-turn adjustment is super ice for climbing. Also the lockout with the valve adjustment give the fork a pro-pedal kinda feeling. It is super light and also very stiff. I hammer on this thing from trail to light freeride and DH, and it eat it up. I have ridden a lot fo different forks and this is easily one of the best of all time. Rock Shox is back in a big way.

None, as perfect as a shock can get.

If you need a great all around and true "all mountain" that can climb this is the shock for you!!!!!!!!!!! I am also a bigger rider at 225 and this thing is perfect.

Fox, Marzocchi.

[Aug 25, 2009]
bramfw

Strength:

Smooth, sets up easily.

None so far.

This review should be read with the caveat that I've only used this fork for fewer than 10 rides so far.
Those 10 rides, however, have been great-- I have used a lot of forks, particularly in this ~5" segment, and the Fox's have always treated me well.
After using this fork, though, I'm left wondering why I've been shying away from Rockshox. While building my bike, I was talking the decision over with the guys at Greenfish, and they remarked that Fox is "definitely a better fork." But after having been on the Revelation I just don't see it. I'm about 150 riding weight so the whole "flexy fork" thing was never something that I felt all that much, but in terms of tracking, small/big bump compliance, smoothness, etc., I can't see the Revelation conceding an inch to Fox's offerings in any of those categories.
I was riding a couple of days ago and happened unexpectedly off of a 1.5 ft. drop-- the Revelation soaked up the hit and rebounded gracefully.

I can't speak for durability, but even without the price difference, I'm extremely happy with my Revelation; throw in that I spent about $300 less than I would have on a comparable Fox, and you get 5 chilis for value and 5 overall.

Fox TALAS RLC, TALAS RL, Float RLC, F29 100, C'dale carbon lefty (29er), Manitou Minute (29er), Maverick SC32, all except the Float on current bikes.

[Aug 08, 2009]
MultiRider

Strength:

Smooth travel
Remote lockout

More flexible that Fox

After using a Marzocchi Bomber, the a RockShox Psylo, then a Fox, I thought I'd stick with Fox forever. Well, when purchasing my new Ibis Mojo, I wanted a fork lockout for xc racing. Rockshox offered it, Fox did not. I am very pleased with the lockout. I'm also very pleased with the fork action. At least as good as my PUSHed Fox, perhaps better. But only after experimenting with the positive and negative air plus the clickers. The shop guy set the rebound by bouncing it up and down on the showroom floor. He expressed confidence in his ability to get is set by doing that. I rode it several times and did not like the suspension action but was a little intimidated by his confidence in his settings. Well, on a really long downhill with rocks and roots, I stopped every 50 feet or so and messed with the clickers. Ended up with the rebound much farther out. Now it works GREAT! Only issue is some fork flex on high speed rocky downhills, particularly in turns. Can feel it wind up a little bit in fast rocky turns. Not really bad, but there is flex. Well worth it for me anyway because I like the action and the lockout (for climbing out of the saddle).

Several Fox 32mm including TALAS

[Jul 28, 2009]
CKwik240

Strength:

Smooth and plush. Travel adjustment works well.

Could have come with a new star nut and post mounts for brakes.

I have the dual air version with QR. It works great. Feels much more rigid than the Dart 3, but much more compliant and controlled over bumps. The travel adjustment works as stated and can be used while riding. It can be a bit awkward to do so, but can be done. The compression adjustment and lockout work as stated. Rebound adjustment shows a noticable degree of change from min to max. I weigh about 200 lbs and with the air adjusted to about 140 in both chambers, it feels great and used most of its travel. I considered the TALAS from Fox, but the price was way to steep. This was on sale and I'm quite content.

Rock Shox Dart 3

[Jul 02, 2009]
scottzg

Strength:

good stiffness, plush and not dive-y, uses full travel (as a coil fork)

primitive rebound, mine came with tight lowers.

I bought the dual air model, and was pissed. It was worse than my old tora 318. Harsh and inconsistent. After a few months it wasn't getting better and i put on my tora lowers. Problem solved, but now i couldn't make it any plusher than the tora and still use 95% percent of travel on the biggest hits. Every ride started with 5 minutes futzing with air pressures. EVentually tore out the air spring crap and put a coil in. Ahhhhh... this is how this fork is supposed to feel. The air spring is good, i realize in retorspect, having ridden more forks, but the coil is the one to buy.

most of the similar stuff on the market.

[Mar 26, 2009]
Rod

Strength:

Very light and very adjustable. Love the maxle lite and how easy it is to function. The rebound can be set to your riding style and it's negative and postive air and flood gate is always fun to mess with and get a great feeling from them.

None so far...but I did lower it to 100mm of travel and I guess we put too much oil and I pushed beyond the travel and my flood gate leaks a bit, but that should be a very easy fix.

So far the best and greatest dual air fork I have felt.

Rockshox Pike 426, Marzochhi 55 ata