RockShox Lyrik IS 2009 Forks

• Damping: Mission Control
  • Travel: 115-160mm/160mm/115-160mm
  • Recommended Rear Shock: Monarch

TXTony   [Dec 05, 2012]
Strength:

Stiff...

I am on the fourth rebuild of this shock..it has been rebuilt at the shop three times and now Sram has it and is rebuilding it again..each time they rebuild it it works for a ride or two then just does what is wants..the biggest problem is it usually goes to just getting an inch of travel out of the fork..to me it seems like someone is putting to much oil in it..but the last break down the fork started sticking and the rebound was just terrible..I probably got a lemon but my biggest beef is Sram just keeps rebuilding the stupid thing when it its obvious there is a problem with this fork...

Overall the fork has been useless and the bike spends more time at the shop than on the trail..

Psycho Mike   Weekend Warrior [Jul 29, 2011]
Strength:

Adjustable travel, very stiff, 20mm through axle, easy to work on

Motion Control not as adjustable as Mission Control, Maxle can be a little fiddly (though not bad).

Phenomenal fork for the money.

I'm a solid clyde (say ~250# with gear) so I changed the spring over to the x-firm...perfect sag and responds well. Very easy swap to do at home and the fork seems quite readily serviceable. I've got the 1.5" steerer version and the front end (bike and fork) are amazingly stiff.

Minor niggle on the Maxle...you do need to check it from time to time to make sure everything is still good and snug, but otherwise a good system.

The Motion Control system is good, but I hear the Mission Control cartridge is far superior...I'm coming off a Fox Float R, so having rebound, compression and travel adjust is already a big improvement and all three seem to work well. Set-up was actually pretty straight forward.

When compared to a Fox 36 ($1100+ new), this was an outstanding deal I couldn't pass up and I'm certainly glad I didn't let it get away.

Similar Products Used: Numerous others (Fox, RS, Manitou, Magura) but nothing in this class of travel.
jitenshakun   Weekend Warrior [Oct 08, 2009]
Strength:

Adjustable, stiffness & dampening

Maxle design

At 200lbs naked and 220lbs with all my DH gear I found the stiff spring a great upgrade. The stock spring wallowed and bottomed out way too much. With the proper spring the form had much better small bump compliance and took the bigger hits with confidence. The mission control dampening was bullet proof and had noticeable effects on the fork(ride). The 1.5", paired with my burly bike and tough wheels eradicated any flex so good job there.

My only beef is with the maxle 20mm design as it has the nasty habit of loosening off. I picked up the habit of tightening the maxle after watching other Lyrik riders tighten their wheel while waiting in the lift line.

I also think that $1,200 retail for a suspension fork is preposterous.

Similar Products Used: This was my first "bigger" fork
bluemirage188   Weekend Warrior [Sep 08, 2009]
Strength:

awesome fork, can take any hit, never skips a beat. Maxle!!
Damping and compression that works, and U-turn that lets you dial in whatever travel you want. all in a fairly light package.

Stickers seem to fade, although i have the white lowers, and the clear stickers are a bit goofy looking off white. But no issues with the fork it self.

Fork is awesome, prior to getting the correct spring for my weight (x-firm) I used it DH at diablo, and was a bit soft (med spring) but since adding the correct spring, the shock is def awesome. Adjustments that work, and un-bottomable travel range, makes it def the best shock i've used, and def. worth the investment.

Similar Products Used: Marz AM1, Manitou sherman, marz dj3, rs indy, and judy
Ellsworthevrepene   Weekend Warrior [Apr 20, 2009]
Strength:

Stiffness, Performance, Infinite Adjustability, Engineering (Maxle-baby!)

None yet, too early to tell

I was in the market for a Fox Talas, but received a lot of advice and recommendations on the new RockShox Lyric. I have always been a Fox fan. No regrets with this fork and really glad I purchased. Not many products make such noticable changes to a ride right out of the box. This is one of them that breaks that trend. It is stiff and holds the line on even the most rocky terrain. The U Turn travel adjustment is great as is the Mission Control settings with Floodgate. It acts as a sort of Pro-Pedal function but you can open up wide if you want to. The Maxle makes taking the front wheel off a snap too. This thing just flat out rocks.