Marzocchi 66 ATA 2009 Forks

The 66 was inspired by countless runs in Whistler?s MTB park and the desire to have a lightweight, long travel single crown fork with 888 performance.

keith   Downhiller [Jan 17, 2013]
Strength:

Ata system is diabolical, really hard to set up, zocchi customers service is @#$%,when ata system does finally fail £150 to convert to coil stay away

If you want a decent fork say with fox 40

Similar Products Used: Fox 40 boxxer world cups
AmirBernard   Downhiller [May 26, 2010]
Strength:

it works real smooth once tuned it, reliable and not really heavy

it takes a while to figure out how to tune it since the manual is pretty much useless

its a great fork, ever sincw i tuned it right (played with the rebound, compression and the PAR) it works amazing and really reliable. been through urban abuse and i overshot a few jumps, never bottomed out harsh or leaked or whatever

Similar Products Used: 2010 totem solo air, 2007 66 RC2X, 2009 domain 318
niko   Downhiller [Oct 31, 2009]
Strength:

adjustable in every aspect,strong,yet feels light when set up for your bike,weight and riding style.

The ATA damper is a wonderfull idea but it takes alot to keep up. there are alot of problems that occur with the ata damper.
1-wind down on the travel adjuster.
2-air leaking from all the seals. If you have lost travel its because the top air chambers air seal has leaked into the negative chamber so you need to take it apart and change the seal because like mine marz had a seal that was a little to small from the begining.
Another leaky area is air leaking from the top of the ATA into the forks legs.So, when you check you air pressure there is no air in the chamber but its in you legs so the fork feels really hard.
Another air leak is when the bottoms air chamber leaks its air into the top or the top goes into the bottom,so the top and the bottom both have the same pressure.

This is a great for its just the ata damper thats the problem.
-To make these problems stop I had to take it apart many times and experiment with numerous set up and of course change all the internal seals.
-finally I have turned it into a hybrid fork using the air chamber for overall stiffness and the rc2x damper for a smooth progressive feeling fork.
-In the ata I took out the bottom air champer by removing the bottom air piston making a solid air chamber with a nice sturdy linear feel.
-Then on the rc2x side I added on coil spring from my older 66 the blue spring which is nice and soft. and the spacers fit into the new 66 with no problems. In doing so I was able to create a smooth progressive stroke with the springs natural progression and the oil level for a nice over all feel.
-with this combo I am able to use the ATA pressure at about 80psi for my weight 210lbs coupled with the springs stiffness feels great.
-with the air set lower but having the spring for backup its really smooth just like a coil fork.
-At 180mm its smooth and buttery then using the ata to lower the forks travel to 170mm-160mm it preloads the spring naturally to make it stiff for dj stle jumps and smooth flowy jumpy tracks.
-taking all this in consideration I would not recomend this fork to anyone else unless you are able to spend the time and frustration to dial it in yourself. once dialed in this way I have learnd to really love the feeling of both air and coil correlating together.
-I think next years 2010 coil over forks are the way to go.

Similar Products Used: 66 rc2x 08 and 06 66 both coil so no problems.
Montana   Racer [Sep 30, 2009]
Strength:

It looks nice, fairly stiff.....Um yeah, thats about it.

After using it for a couple of months I can now only get arounf 130-140mm of travel in the 180mm setting. The compression and rebound adjustments are hard to use and not very sensitive to minor adjusments, the quick release is hard to truley get tight, heavy for an air fork, harsh ride unless you use supper low pressure which then leads to bottoming and feels like your riding with a flat front tire. I'm a mechanical engineer and suspension expert, this fork is effin garbage. STAY AWAY!!! marzocchi blows, stick with fox or rock shox. Can't believe I sold my boxxer for this piece of crap, and imagine...msrp=1100 bucks. What a joke.

This fork is garbage. Stay away, anyone that thinks this is a good fork is either clueless or only rode it for a week.

Similar Products Used: 36 talas, boxxer team and world cup, manitou stance and dorado
gabe925   Racer [Aug 25, 2009]
Strength:

look nice
bottomless travel

stantions scratch really easy
quick release doesnt even tighten up

i just got them back for a express rebuild(paid extra) and they still leak air and oil out from the ata valve

Similar Products Used: totem 2step
totem solo air
36 talas rc2
DerekGehl   Downhiller [Jun 30, 2009]
Strength:

For the first two days the fork was great... smooth, bottomless travel. Loved the travel adjust.

Started acting funny on 4th ride and even though I know it was setup right about an hour into the ride travel adjust started winding down and then it eventually stuck in lowest position.

It has been 3 weeks and I have not gotten it back from Marzocchi... I ended up buying 66 RC3 so I could continue riding and if I ever get it back I am going to sell it.

The concept of the fork is great and I really hoped they had resolved the issues for this year but I guess not. I am really disappointed in the warranty turn around... especially when they are located where I live.