Manitou R7 MRD Absolute 2009 Forks

• Axle Type: Standard Q/R
  • Spring Type: Noble Air
  • Compression Damping Adjuster
  • Rebound Control
  • Steer Tube Diameter: 1-1/8"

[Jan 22, 2010]
TechnoDude94

Strength:

Incredibly light but stiff! I was shocked to find out that it was only 1.55 kg after the steerer tube was cut to fit my geometry!

No weaknesses yet for the past 1 month.

This fork is an excellently priced when compared to it's counterparts from Rock Shox or Fox but can definitely perform as well as it's counterparts and may be lighter than some of it's counterparts. However, it's stanchions are pretty thin/narrow (but doesn't bother me cause I'm not an aggressive-rider).

Other forks from Rock Shox/Fox.

[Dec 02, 2009]
aldous

Strength:

Crazy light, stiff, well made and good-lookin', on-the-fly lockout

A little bobby/divey on full open.

Okay, I drank the Fox Kool-Aid along with every other XC geek, but after buying an R7 Super Absolute for my singlespeed (and loving it) I tossed the Fox (overweight and, IMHO, overhyped) and got the R7 MRD for my FS rig.

First, the thing looks hot in eye-scorching red (enough with the white forks already). It's well made, and after you break through the notchy first 20 hours or so, smoothly linear and surprisingly stiff for such skinny legs - it goes where you point it, sharp and sweet. And it's mad light - my 100mm travel fork, after cutting down the steerer tube, weighed in at 2.91 lbs. That's pretty much the lightest XC fork out there, and a good .5 lbs lighter than the old Fox.

The ride? Plush, soaking up little washboard stuff and big hits with equal confidence. The wide-open setting (there are 6 'clicks' on the easy-to-reach anodized adjustment knob, from super plush to fully locked out) causes a bit too much diving during heavy front braking, so I ride on the second click to tighten things up. Works well. The rebound adjustment set right in the middle seems to be the right balance between big boing and gentle return.

Manitou has their act together (I hear they're including a remote lockout on the 2010 models), and I'm surprised these forks are so under the radar given their excellent price/performance ratio. I heard there was a pesky clicking sound on earlier '07 models, but the engineers seem to have eliminated that with the new line. The simi bath seals are holding up really well, still keeping things slick without a top-off (and they never drooled like a toothless baby, unlike my Fox). The only comparable fork I've ridden in the past year is my bud's Magura Durin SL, which doesn't have full lockout and costs a little more.

This is a great XC/Race fork. Get one.

Rock Shox from way back (a Quadra elastomer was my first shock), Fox Vanilla, earlier Manitou models

[Aug 20, 2009]
Sanmarko4

Strength:

Great weight and looks

hard to setup right

Great fork

[Apr 22, 2009]
h2o-x

Strength:

Super light! Plush, floats through the little bumps, and sucks up the big hits. It handles easily and holds a line without issue. The fact that it so light, make it quick to point where you want it to go. The lock-out is easy to reach before I take on the steep climbs.

None so far. It rides great.

This fork is fantastic. It is so light that it's easy to throw around. The steering feels quicker than it did with the previous fork. I have ridden it on some really technical single track, and it has handled the small and medium hits very well. The few bigger drops have encountered have been no problem with this R7. Did I mention that it's light?!

Fox Talus, Rock Shox Sid, Mag 21 and Judy Race, Manitou Mars CL

[Dec 09, 2008]
deepersouth

Strength:

Exceptionally light, platform damping works

Perhaps not the plushest

Dramatically lighter than the competition, easy to lock out or just stiffen up on the fly with a flick of a solid-feeling lever. Beautiful candy apple paint job.
Not sure I've quite got the setup right, or done a enough breaking in, but it isn't especially plush over small bumps and it could arguably be a little stiffer. That said, it certainly steers precisely enough for me, I feel pretty confident pushing it hard into corners.
The caveats are minor, this is a brilliant race fork. For a more trail oriented bike I'd stick with Fox, or perhaps the Manitou Minute, which is still pretty light, but has 32mm stanchions.
As for the price - hey, it is cheaper than DT Swiss or Magura.

Fox Float 32 RL