Manitou Minute 29 Super Absolute 2009 Forks

Manitou Minute 29 Super Absolute 2009 Forks

• Ultra high performance trail fork: 100mm, 120mm, and 80mm
  • 32mm drawn aluminum stanchions
  • 100% machined aluminum internals
  • Adjustable rebound with improved adjustment range

[Dec 19, 2012]
t-bone!

Strength:

Plush as a kittens fur. Light, easy to adjust

eh? Slightly flexy but it's a light cross country fork on a 29er. What the hell did you expect?

This fork rocks! It's light, plush and fairly stiff for a QR. I have to say Manitou tech support is awesome. They will help with any problems you have and they do it quickly. I needed a new spring cause the LBS bent mine and they sent me one for free. Which I promptly lost. They sent me another one for free. Who the hell does that? A bike company that loves it customers. I love this fork and Manitou is awesome. Pick one up, you will not regret it!

[Feb 28, 2010]
droptop

Strength:

LIGHT, adjustments work well, plush. stiff laterally. looks good in white on my bike, half the price of a fox.

eats thru travel quickly, although even with a 80mm i have only bottomed a few times in 6 months of riding. even when i bottom out, its not a harsh feeling. rebound has little adjustment

nice fork for the price. very plush, runs high pressure (im 180lbs, run it at about 165psi). there are 2 versions of this fork, the absolute damper (5 settings, 2008 model) and the absolute+ (7 settings, 2009 model). they look the same. the absolute is the one that clicks and has little compression adjustment. the absolute+ has a difference on every compression setting, and on the highest it is nearly a full lockout. only downside is stock that the rebound adjustment knob has little effect on the rebound. however, the fork is adjustable via shims (research it) or changing the weight of the oil.

a rebuild kit for the absolute+ damper is available from QBP (your lbs) for around $50. it will also upgrade the old absolute damper to the absolute+ platform. (from what i have heard, its a drop in unit that replaces the old or worn out damper). i haven't had to get one yet because my fork is still going strong.

reba 29er, demo'd white bro set up for a guy 40lbs lighter than me

[Oct 29, 2009]
super88

Strength:

Good torsional stiffness, smooth action, simple set-up, set-and-forget, nice finish, cool little rasta stickers.

Potential for clicking sound from the damper, no remote platform control (locked out or full open)

Came spec'd my Spot as a Minute 29, I had the damper upgraded to the Absolute damper so I could have the lock-out. My last bike (Truth) had a Minute 2:00 on it that I loved. I was disappointed to see that the SPV air setting went away. However, I haven't missed it with the upgrade to the Absolute damper. The OE damper bobbed a good bit, IMO.

I run about 20% sag and set the platform two clicks up from full open and back it off to full open for the long downs. I've used all 100mm, but never noticed a bottom. I have literally never had to add air to this thing. Now that weather's getting cool, it's probably time to bump it a bit.

Laterally a bit stiffer than the Reba, better action too (a bit more $$$ though.) I've contemplated testing out my buddy's Fox F29, but frankly I can't imagine riding any faster or having any better control. The fork rocks and despite having the earlier Absolute damper, I haven't heard a peep (or a click) out of it.

Reba

[Jun 11, 2009]
sminniear

Strength:

weight, stiffness, aesethics

Manitou's Absolute Platform adjustment needs refining

I'm writing this review because I feel this fork deserves a better overall rating based upon my experience. It's light, stiff and works well for my application - XC SS.

If you're considering this versus a Fox or Rockshox Reba, please do yourself a favor and read the Forums where a lot has been written on how to tune this fork and it's relative strengths and weaknesses.

I have considerable time on Fox, Rockshox and Manitou. I believe this fork is competitive and offers better value. The key is in the setup of the fork. I agree that the Absolute Platform Damper could use some refinement as you can only really discern a difference at full on or full off. The other settings are very sutle. I know some folks get a clicking sound when the damper is on which can be annoying, but I haven't had that issue and I know Manitou is working it.

Rockshox Reba, Fox Float

[May 03, 2009]
Steven

Strength:

34mm stantions, weight, smooth action

Incessant clicking.

I like the action of the fork...but I can't stand the almost constant clicking eminating from the Absolute damper. If I could figure out how to stop the noise I would probably like it more. My older Minute 2 on my Superlight is a great fork and the reason I waited to purchase a 29er fork until Answer came out with the Minute 29. Now I think maybe I should have waited a bit longer. Four chilis for the action, but only 2 for the overall value until they quiet the fork.

Magura Durin, Rock Shox Reba, Minute 2

[Apr 21, 2009]
WildflowerMtnBikeRider

Strength:

Works great when it works.

Warranted now 3 times, internals wore out at the drop of a hat, without much use at all!!! I wouldn't spend another dime on this fork.

Personally, i wouldn't waste your time.

Fox, Rock Shox Reba