Manitou Drake 29 Super Absolute 2009 Forks

Drake 29 Super Absolute

• Absolute platform oil damping system
  • 1-1/8" steel steerer
  • 32mm gold-anodized aluminum stanchions
  • 1-piece magnesium
  • Maximum disc and tire sizing: 210mm rotor / 2.50" tire

Dancake   Weekend Warrior [Aug 21, 2010]
Strength:

Good Value, Not insanely heavy.

Bit of top-out knock. Rebound adjuster a bit course

Could not afford rebas so bought these. Very plush and not too heavy; quite pleased. Bit of top out knock and I have felt the bottom of the travel a few times with 25% sag. might need to play with the oil level a bit.
Rebound adjust does work, but it is less than 1 turn from one extreme to the other.

I am not a fan of platform damping so I fitted the remote lockout lever/ damper which works just fine

Stiff enough for me at 95kg

Similar Products Used: AM2s
Jisch   Weekend Warrior [Mar 29, 2010]
Strength:

Smooth travel, easy to set up

Some fore/aft flex

I've had the Drake out enough times to submit a review.

Its a coil fork so its plush like it should be. There's a knob on the top that has a dozen or so very well defined clicks (none of this mushy stuff like on my Specialized fork!). Two clicks in and there's a nice platform for climbing, 12 clicks in and it locks out completely. Ok those are the only two positions I use, but that function works great.

It does have a slight top out knock on it, but I only notice it when I'm riding on the road and I pull up on the bars quickly. I probably need a bit more air preload in there. I don't think its a warranty thing, but I'll keep an eye on it. I kinda wish I got a through axle fork, I can make the fork flex a little bit by hitting the brake really quickly, I think through axles add a lot of stiffness. With that said, its not that bad and I can't feel it at all when just riding along.

I haven't felt it bottom out, but based on my zip tie I have used (or come damn close to using) all 100mm of travel many times.

Overall - 4 out of 5 stars - If it had a through axle 4.5 out of 5, if it didn't have this top out knock 5 out of 5.

I'd say that if you weigh less than 160lbs I'd look at another fork - or see if there's a lighter spring for this fork.

Similar Products Used: White Bros BW.80, Fox RLC80
refreshinglygood   Cross Country Rider [Mar 22, 2010]
Strength:

Cheap

Cheap. Sticky. Flexy. Struggles with multiple hits

thank good I'm rid of it. Had nothing but trouble with it, was not much better than my rigid fork. I'm sure it's great for the price, but, for an extra $200 odd, you can get a fork that works

Similar Products Used: range of 26 forks, fox, RS, lefty. Reba team 29er
Williamsven   Cross Country Rider [Mar 06, 2010]
Strength:

i am a 270 lb rider, this is the first fork that i have felt no flex in

it doesnt come in blue or white.

BEST FORK IVE EVER OWNED

Similar Products Used: fox talas, reba race
mkpowercycle   Weekend Warrior [Nov 06, 2009]
Strength:

Rock solid plush stiff feels bomb proof looks adjustments full on to lock out price.

just a little heavy for a air but mine is the 120mm/20mm thru-axle one.

for 235 bucks it cant be beat rides great feels super it does it all for way less.

Similar Products Used: RS/lyrink 160mm air WB110mm magic air M/sherman
RS/lyrink 160mm WB110mm/magic air other long travel forks.

bernie052965   Weekend Warrior [Jul 01, 2009]
Strength:

Tough fork, all adjustments are functioning well

none so far

This is a good upgrade for the built in 29er bikes available in the market, it's the mid range model affordable yet durable. It will do the purpose of a good 29er XC/trail fork without hassle. All adjustments functions well, the performance is not as far as higer end forks. I recommend this fork for those who want to upgrade the fork without the pain in the wallet.