SR Suntour SF8-Epicon RLD 2008 Forks

• Rebound Damping adjuster
  • 255 mm Length
  • Air pressure adjust

kidone   Cross Country Rider [Aug 13, 2009]
Strength:

Stiff, Remote Lockout, Cheap!

I decided to try this shock after reading some good reviews about it and I am very impressed. I tested it on curbs, bunny hop, and 3-4 foot drops. This fork is beast!

Similar Products Used: SR Suntour XCR, Rockshox SID Race
TrailX316   Weekend Warrior [Dec 13, 2008]

Incredible product for the money. Most would think that Sr stuff sucks, but they're wrong, some of their lines such as axon and epicon are really good.

I'd recommend this fork to anyone

Fort_Ord_biki   Weekend Warrior [Aug 31, 2008]
Strength:

Good price, Canti-lever brake posts, Light weight, Rebound Adjustment, rigid, light remote lock-out, air pressure adjustment for spring rate and sag, 100mm travel can be mod from 80 to 140mm

None at this point

I confess, this is the first suspension fork that I actually purchased and own. Ok.. But I have ridden bikes seriously since 83 and mtb since 95. Mostly my mtb is setup more like a street/trial do-anything bike. I can't say I am good at biketrial but I am great at track stands. I pride myself being able to handle pretty any terrain, as long as I do not have to do it fast.

So I finally bite the bullet and bought a suspension fork because I wanted to push a little further on my favorite playground. My wish was Magura but settled for SR. First choice was top of the line AXON but it did not have canti- mount and was more pricy. So I bought the Epicon RLD..The first impression was ... when I was handed the box from USPS clerk: Is there a fork in that box? It's so light! I weight it: 4 lbs. It can't possibly has steel stanchion, can it?

The remote lock-out lever/button is very light, very easy to use. The short cable only allow me to mount it on the right hand side just inboard of the Shimano shifter/brake lever combo. My grips are set pretty wide as the trials setup. The lock-out reduces the travel but did not lock it out completely. Maybe I did not tighten the cable enough. But I like that it still has a bit of give when I lock it.

Very responsive.. The riding become... transparent...I kind of just forgot its existence. It was responsive the minute it was put in. The riding was awesome.

It came with 100 psi. I weight 148lbs so I lowered that to 90/95 psi. On the first ride I got about 80 mm travel. I think that is reasonable because I really do not hit anything hard and the local terrain isn't that technical. I have not nor feel the need to touch the damping adjustment knob.

I hope this fork holds up. Though most fork need time to break in. This one did not. Hope it does not get loose. Love it so far.

I recommend this fork for recreational rider, XC and Marathon riders. AM is probably ok, but I can't say. There is a mod for increasing the travel to 140mm. But do you want to do AM with Aluminum stanchions?

Similar Products Used: RST XMO, Insync Grind 323,
KinKyHOOTER   Cross Country Rider [May 11, 2008]
Strength:

- Air System = Awesome! Absorbs Medium to Big bumps very well.

- Hydraulic Remote speed-lock = Works effeciently

- Rebound adjust = Very accurate

- Nothing major. I just noticed that it does not absorb small bumps well, which was very much highlighted by other users at 2007 EPICON review. Adjustment to the PSI might do the trick.

- Bling factor?! WHO CARES! This fork works GREAT for the budget to performance ratio.

This Fork is GREAT! This might not be the best but it really works so so very well and effeciently. For its price to performance ratio, this fork is really quality for money.

I'm no hardcore rider nor an expert. I'm just an average XC rider who enjoys riding the trail. I'm 210lbs andeven if I'm just new with Air system forks I really felt the performance and quality this fork can give out. It really fits my budget and performance needs.

I would recommend this Fork BIG TIME!