RST F1RST Air 2008 Forks

The F1RST Air comes in at under 4 lbs (with un-cut steer and remote lock-out). This lightweight XC race fork has numerous first place podiums in Europe and is ready to hit the North American racing scene. the F1RST is fully adjustable with 2 travel options.

Weight: 3 lb 14 oz
Travel: 80mm or 100mm
Color: White or Black
Stanchion size: 30mm
Optional Remote lock-out
Axle to crown height(mm):460/480
MSRP: $319.00

XC race fork
-Hydraulic system with adjustable compression w/ lock-out and rebound
-Adjustable air spring.
-Comes with High-pressure air pump.
-IS disc mounts and grease ports for easy maintenance.

BJ   Weekend Warrior [Mar 03, 2014]
Strength:

Lightweight and cheap.

1.Not for the big boys.
2.Leaking fork oil starting up from the lock-out turn key down to rebound adjust knob.
3.Makes a very strange sound every time the stanchions is being pump down to the lower leg.
3.Very poor warranty service, they don't even answer e-mails.

Very Poor Fork!
Check more reviews of the items before buying it.
My mistake was i was only able to read one review of the RST First Air.
If you are on a budget get a SR Suntour Epicon or Axon it's more,more,more,more,more durable than an RST First Air.
Or if your a wealthy one get a Rock Shox, Fox or a Manitou you may spend much on them but you will blame your self in the end. =)

Similar Products Used: SR Suntour Axon, RS Sid and Manitou R7
sin_jon   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 2010]
Strength:

lock out would have been a nice feature though never had a chance to try it out.

literally after 4 rides i blew the oil out of the top of the fork, loosing everything the fork had with it. It actually lost the oil going up the main road (paved) in elora. I hadn`t had a chance to use the lock-out but it looked to be made of a cheap plastic.

this fork, in my oppinion is garbage. I like to ride hard but the fork should not have went so early on. I guess it would be alright if all you do is ride off of curbs here and there, other than that i would advise against purchasing this fork.

Similar Products Used: Rock shox recon race solo air (current)
Rock shox dart 2
Alden   Cross Country Rider [Oct 09, 2009]
Strength:

Very reasonable price for light weight air fork

Have not found any so far

I am probably riding these forks in harder conditions than they were designed for but so far have gone pretty well .I have ridden a 12 hour 8k lap relay race over a single MTB track not that demanding and tree 25k MTB races over fairly demanding single track and forestry roads. They give a much better ride than my old oil spring forks. The manufacturers state they are not for riding downhill competition extreme tracks or jumps. So far so good after 6 months. Pretty good value for the money I reckon. I have ridden bikes with more expensive forks and I can't tell the difference. But remember I am ridding them in more extreme conditions than they were made for.

Similar Products Used: Have ridden other peoples bikes with more expensive air forks and my own bike with previous oil dampened spring forks
zoone   Weekend Warrior [Aug 27, 2009]
Strength:

price value ratio, gram light

Weakness of stantion pipe - it seems flexible and fetch.
Less information for fix or overhaul it.

It works very smoooth. and has no stiffness at all.

Similar Products Used: Rockshox Tora Coil.
Rockshox Tora Solo air.
leoh   Racer [Dec 08, 2008]
Strength:

Weight. Remote lockout. Price.

-Leaked oil after 80 miles of use
-LOTS of stiction
-Remote lockout is a cheap flexy plastic lever. However, it didn't brake or fail.
-The disk brake keeps rubbing, may be miss-aligned tabs or flexing on the fork. Re-alligned the calliper several times but never solved it. Never had that problem with any fork.
-Looks ugly

This fork leaked oil on the first trip.
It has lots of stiction, and doesn't "copy" small bumps. In the manual it said that it would be "broken in" after 20 hours, but I didn't have the fork that long because it leaked oil before that.
Also, it came without a user manual. It doesn't appear on the website, so I had to send an e-mail to RST to obtain it.
However, it is light at about 1.5 Kg.
The remote control feels very cheap but works OK.

Finally, I took the fork to the LBS and got the money back.

Similar Products Used: RockShox Pilot SL, RockShox SID
JonL   Cross Country Rider [Aug 19, 2008]
Strength:

Solid feel, adjustable, price, customer service.

non yet

I needed a replacement fork, and I really wanted air/oil. Being on a budget, I wasn't finding much I could afford. Through a search, I found the "high end" line up of RST. Being very hesitant, I did a lot of searching for reviews, there weren't many. I resorted to calling RST and asked a bunch of questions via the phone and e-mail. Service was great, so I decided to give the fork a try

First off, installation was simple. The crown race went on with little to zero effort. Tuning the fork was easy as well. There is a nice fork pump included. Once I had the rebound adjusted to my liking, I was ready.

First ride was in Slatey Fork, WV. The fork handled everything I put in front of it. I would lock it out while climbing and quickly release it for the descents. The fork instilled confidence on the trail and never felt "flexi" or springy.

I do have the air pressure set a bit higher than the instruction booklet suggests.

I would recommend this fork to anyone, even if money if of no concern. This is not the RST Fork that everyone seems to be familier with.

Similar Products Used: Marzocci
trailville   Cross Country Rider [Jul 19, 2008]
Strength:

Price, adjustability, performance

a little heavy for an air fork, tall axle-to-crown

I got this when RST was clearing them out at $179. For that price, you simply can't go wrong with this fork. My 80mm fork weighed 4.26 pounds (with lockout), which is heavy for a air fork (and especially one made for "racing) and is well over their listed weight, but is lighter than other forks in this price range.
I also wasn't pleased with the tall axle-to-crown (460mm for my 80mm fork)which is 10mm taller than some other 80mm forks I have looked at. I'm using it on an older bike and needed to keep the A/C low.
Initially the fork had a lot of stiction and wasn't providing much travel at all. But after pumping some grease into the grease ports and putting some miles on it, it is very smooth now and I'm getting more reasonable travel.

I weigh 165 and am currently putting 60 psi in the fork, which is quite a bit less than the recommended pressure for my weight. That is getting me about 20mm of sag, but only a little over 60mm of total travel (I was only getting like 50mm of travel at the recommended pressure).
The more I ride this fork, the more I like it. It gives about 40mm of buttery smooth soft travel, then firms up nicely for the remaining travel.

This is a great upgrade fork for entry-level to mid-level XC bikes that originally came with RS Darts or other entry level forks that usually weight 5+ pounds and have little adjustability. The fork seems to be well built, performs great, and has plenty of adjustability.

Similar Products Used: Manitou black platinum, Manitou R7, Marz Marathon XC,
Zomb1e   Cross Country Rider [Jan 17, 2008]
Strength:

cheap, but it really works! handy remote lock-out (AIR-RL version), light enough, not looks cheap, no need of hi-pressure pump

seems to be a few tough under my weight (70 kg)

This review is for RST Megaan fork - the last year version of F1RST. A have 100mm travel AIR-RL version. First of all I'd like to say, that this fork really works. It works much better than it can be expected based upon its price. Mechanician, who installed this fork on my bike says, that it works like spring-oil Marzocci. Then my old front-wheel-holder (RST Capa T6) becomes dead I have to make a choice betwheen Megaan and RS Tora 302 (they were at similar price), and now I have no regrets for my choice. This fork really works on small surface imperfections (the thing, that other RST forks don't do) but seems to be tough enough under my weight (70 kg) for full 100-mm travel even on the minimal preload. But if we to take into consideration a fact, that this fork designed for XC riding and racing, things become clear. Rebound can perform as slow as you can imagine (if you need it); I prefer to ride on a 3/4 of full rebound speed position. Remote lock-out is very comfortable, allowing you to make your fork rigid while climbing "on the fly" whithout taking your hands out from the handle-bar. Remote lock-out is operated by thumb and can be placed on any side of the handle-bar (as for me, the left position is more suitable). When locked, the fork becomes really rigid with zero travel. Preload can be inflated without hi-pressure pump. For all time I used this fork, I inflated it only once. Summarizing, if you want a good-working, light (1.56 kg w/o steerer) and quite cheap fork for XC use - buy this, its great!
4 chili value due to rigidity, 5 chili overall.