RockShox RS Tora 318 Solo Air 2008 Forks

• Crown: Forged, hollow, 6061 T-6 aluminium
  • Steerer Tube: Aluminium

[Aug 13, 2009]
gmartink

Strength:

The price, Air Sprung, Stiff for its price, Adjustability, and the pop lock is nice

I would have liked it to come out of the box at 130mm but the 100mm has been enough travel. No real weaknesses.

I love this fork. After blowing out two sets of seals in a Marizochi I got this guy and the first day on the trail was amazing. I ride everything with this and it does not seem to mind. I have hit some dirt jumps, some mild down hill, and lots of stuff in between. The fork is holding up great. I way 180 lbs and the fork eats up the stuff I run over.

Bomber EXR (I think that was the model)

[Aug 13, 2009]
inbredgreasemonkey420

Strength:

Awesome value, lockout, air shock at this price, DURABLE.

None, period.

For the money, there is no better fork out there. Thank god for SRAM, they have returned Rockshox to the top in suspension designs (at least in XC). I am 6', 200lbs and have a reputation among my friends for being really hard on equipment. But this shock has stood up to all the punishment I can dish out (even some HT downhill) and yet feels plush on the downside and responsive on the uphill. This fork is not for serious DH, but if you're rocking this on a DH track, then odds are that the rest of your equipment won't hold up either (and will probably break before the shock!) Where else can you find an air fork with lockout and durability for this price?

Marzocchi MZIII (a real pile), RS Recon, Marzocchi RCV 160mm, RS Judy

[Jan 07, 2009]
R0B_Z0MBIE

Strength:

design, ease of dialing the fork in, great fork for the price

heavy

i weigh 230# and this fork actually works what a great under priced fork.

[Dec 17, 2008]
gcurtis

Strength:

Responsive, adjustability, ride quality. For the money very hard to beat.

probably weight, can completely eliminate all the rebound dampening, but it's not really a problemP

This fork has breathed new life into my old bike, finally replacing the Mars 1 Manitou 80mm. About freaking time...
I've got back to riding two times a week on average the last year and a half, graduating to much tougher trails and putting this old bike through harder riding than I did in the past.
Thought about buying a new bike of course, and have demoed a couple putting in some decent time on an '08 Trek EX9, along with my riding buddies '07 version and a new Fisher HiFi. But I have cheaped out so far adding an upgrade here and there commensurate with the overall value of the bike, but making it more competitive in ride quality compared to new. It's really quite tolerable. Hence the choice of this shock. Can't say that I'm disappointed at all.
Anyone looking for a good performing modern shock to upgrade a lower end stock unit, or an older bike like mine, you can't go wrong with this shock for the blow out prices available. I checked out a bunch of shocks before ordering this one.

Rock Shox Recon, Fox Talas RL

[Oct 10, 2008]
jblakegriffin

Strength:

Very solid construction. Great value for your dollar. Adjustable travel. Lock out.

weight,

Great fork for the price.

rock shox duke. Replaced the Rock Shox Dart 2

[Sep 14, 2008]
Farmer Ted

Strength:

plush ride, very adjustable, fixed floodgate, great damping

weight and I wish I could turn the rebound damping completely off...I like a 'boingy' fork on the rebound.

I put together a hardtail this summer for those times when I wanted to ride a hardtail instead of a full suspension bike. I went round and round on what fork to put on it. When I saw Cambria was blowing these out, I decided on the Tora. Although it's a bit heavy, this fork is dynamite! It is incredibly plush, and has the lockout with the fixed floodgate which 'blows off' and allows the fork to activate for big hits when it is locked out. The damping is great and you can even adjust it for up to 130mm of travel if you take it apart and take the spacer out. I've been riding a SID on my Specialized Epic for the last 5 years and this fork works just the same, it's just a bit heavier and doesn't have the negative air chamber. I have absolutely no complaints and if it has the same longevity as my SID, I'll be even happier.

rockshox sid

[Jul 04, 2008]
rtskcp

Strength:

Extremely forgiving, pop-lock feature, great price for a solo air shock.

A little on the heavy side, air cap on fork is difficult to remove when refilling with air.

Awesome fork, preformance is outstanding compared to the regular Tora 318. Worth the extra money for the upgrade. Have about 60 plus miles on it and have had no problems whatsoever with bottoming out or anything along that line. Can easily adjust stiffness for users weight in seconds. Poplock feautre is a must and makes uphills a breeze. I have heard the Tora line has had a few defects in the past when still getting broken in but have not experienced any problems at all. Fork is great for anyone that rides a 3-4 times a week for a couple hours at a time. I can already see that this fork will be able to take a beating and will last without having to be rebuilt in six months. I strongly recomend this product to anyone looking for a fork under the four/five hundred dollar price range.

Rockshox Juddy TT 80mm