Marzocchi 55 ATA 2008 Forks

• New QR Axle

[Apr 30, 2011]
Reid
Downhiller

Strength:

Good size, weight, feel

weak, very weak, blew on the 6th day of riding. And continued to break and leak oil after a few rebuilds and attempts to solve problem

i ve read a few reviews and rider comments who like them, but after my experience i would NEVER buy them and be skeptical of that era marzocchi products in general. maybe i got a lemon or maybe those guys who like them never really ride them hard.

05 marzoccho 66, which was the best fork i ve ever ridden, never had any problems

[Jan 05, 2010]
DSHEFF
Downhiller

Strength:

Amazing burely strong feeling fork Have sent it off drops around 14ish with no issue this fork can handle everything the 66 can however it does have less travel.
Marzocchi is also very helpful if you ever have an issue

none really works great

awesome fork if your into doing it all, works great for freeride , works good for dirtjump if you set the travel down using the amazingly useful ATA system, it also works great on the climbs to trails. And a good weight at 5.5 pounds which is fairly light.

manitou sherman breakout

[Oct 22, 2009]
hotrodmarlin

Strength:

cartriges, adjustments, poorly made.

I bought a new Kona Coil-air Deluxe that fork came on. The fork never lasted more than 3 rides. It went back to Marzocchi 2 times. Each time it took them 3 weeks. The 3rd time the cartriges failed the local bike shop got replacements from Marzocchi and installed it.
The last time I rode the fork, I crashed and twisted my ankle pretty bad. After I picked up the bike, I realized the fork was compressed all the way down and was stuck. I got it fixed for the 4th time at another shop and never rode it again.

I'll have to say that Marzocchi customer service is some of the worst I've ever dealt with. They lied to me about putting in the 09 cartriges and denied any problems with the 55ata forks. They refused to rush to get the fork back to me. Here I had a brand new bike and couldn't ride it for 6 weeks.
Kona was also not helpful and lied to me. (see my review on Kona Coil-air Deluxe.

In my opinion there should be a class action lawsuit against Marzocchi for this fork. it is defective and dangerous.

rock shox totem, Rock shox domain, manitou

[Jul 19, 2009]
infamous24

Strength:

Stiffness

Just about everything, see below.

Well where to start with this horrendous fork? It has now been in for service 3 times, seems Marzocchi can't figure things out.

The first time the forks ATA catridge had broken and the travel adjust wasn't working anymore. This happened with the first owner, I purchased it once it was back from warranty. Biggest mistake I ever made.

Worked find for about a month, then noticed the fork lost about an inch of travel. The fork went back to Marzocchi, which took about 2 weeks. When it came back it had 2009 cartridges, which "had no problems."

Well about a month later the forks rebound and compression circuit were blown. The rebound adjust didn't work, nor did the lockout feature. It is in for warranty as I write this review.

Anyways as soon as the fork is back I am selling it, and will never buy another Marzocchi fork again. Even when it did work the fork was not that impressive. I replaced the fork with a 36 Float RC2, which blows it out of the water. As far as suspension performance goes, Marzocchi can't even come close to Fox or Rockshox.

Fox Float 36 RC2, Pike

[Jun 25, 2009]
ezgo

Strength:

When it works...it's light and rigid and "irons" every tough element out there.

It never works...third time in less than a year was sent to complete rebuild.
warranty seems to be very good and the guys here are nice but it is NOT reliable and at this point I switched over to Fox 36 talas RC2. Every single part of my fork has been replaced and yet it keeps breaking down.

Do not be tempted!
Waist of money and extreme disappointment.

Fox Float 32 RLC, Fox 36 Talas RC2

[Jun 15, 2009]
dirtcoach
Downhiller

Strength:

Smooth Travel, Nickel Coated Sanctions

Durability is poor even with my scrawny 150lbs. Fork locked out after 5 hours of use TST failure. The bad part I was instructing a MTB camp at the time. The fork was repaired and worked fine for a month them the same thing well it has been back to Marzocchi four time now I have so far spent $200 in shipping costs and have to wait a month each time to have it returned, apparently they have a lot of warranty issues.

Spend your money else were, Marzocchi quality and durability has really slipped the last several years. It is the last Marzocchi product I will buy.

Fox 36

[Feb 23, 2009]
erezgolan

Strength:

Rigid, adjustable, light for 165mm of travel

complete air chamber failure. replaced with 2009 parts under warranty and worked fine since. Chrome coating coming off creating rough surface.
not too reliable.

Don't make the mistake I made. I was tempted by the long travel and light weight but it is not worth it. Poor product for the price. Moving on to the new fox talas 150 15mm QR which tends to be reliable and rigid enough for hard AM rides. Local distributers here were very nice and replaced everything under warranty.

Fox float 32 rlc 140mm

[Feb 17, 2009]
Vaughn

Strength:

Light weight at less than 5 lbs with 160ish mm travel Nice lateral rigidity. Quick release thru axle. Technical support.

2008 was not ready for market, service manual and online support were marginal. Initial setup was made much more of a guessing game than it should have been. I should not have to call or google a nonMarzocchi chatroom or blog to figure out my air settings. By the way, my riding weight is about 190 pounds, positive air pressure at top of stanchion is about 45, and negative air pressure at bottom of leg is 120. The adjustment knobs are nice aluminum, but the travel adjust knob is sharp and digs into the fingers to dial down. The TST knob is not a nice tight smooth rotation. It is kind of up down play when it should just be sliding forward and back in its infinite terrain sensitive adjustment. Honeycomb brake arch is a mud trap. Aluminum steerer inner diameter is very narrow, not accomodating star nut or other usual inserts for fender. Previous years of Marzocchi All Mountain forks have had their own threaded attachment points for Marzocchi fenders, this one does not.

First the good;

1) I finally understand what all the fuss is about with the new thru axle offerings. This one is 20mm thru axle of course. I am really pleased how the fork goes where I point it. Hardly any tire deflection.

2) Travel is more than I need for xc, but lets me go faster than I have ever gone when pointed downhill. Gives enough confidence that it is the first bike I have ever jumped more than four feet in the air, and it assuredly could do more.

3)40mm of hand wind travel adjust from 165 to 120 makes long steep climbs more palatable. Not worth all the hand cranking for rollers

4)Customer service was excellent. Unfortunately, had to get to know them, but they were very accomodating and helpful getting my fork up and working, which brings me to the bad

1) Within 100 miles of ride time the fork was spewing oil, I forget which leg, then the positive and negative air chambers were bleeding into each other.

2) Marzocchi USA ultimately swapped me both left and right leg cartridges. Unfortunately, the ATA cartridge was bad after the first ride, so it went straight back. Zokes sent me a new one without waiting for the old cartridge to show up, which was nice. My TST cartridge never did go bad, but they replaced it without question after I questioned what I had been reading about here on MTBR about garage rebuilds, and Marzocchi USA repair solutions. From speaking with Mike and Johner at Zokes, it is apparent that many many other people were having the same problem with the 2008 Marzocchi ATA. At one point Zokes USA was waiting for updated model TST cartridge shipment from Italy before I could get that leg replaced.

3) I have gotten in a couple hundred miles since it was repaired with the new guts, essentially 2009 guts, in October and I must admit it has run awesome. No issues with air loss or bleed over. No oil loss. No squeaks or hardwear niggles.

When in working order, small bump compliance is ok, moderate speed compliance is good, and wide open downhill banging is unbelievably good. It is not quite as cush as my brothers coil All Mountain, but being more xc oriented I prefer the lighter weight

I have never had a fork go bad so quick, nor have I spent so much on a fork before, so I will take two points off. I should take another point off for the lack of a service manual or setup information, but I will give Marzocchi a break for being so helpful with me when I actually did contact them by phone. I speculate whether the move of manufacturing from Italy to Taiwan was cause for quality control issues, or whether these problems were an intrinsic design problem trying to get as light of weight as possible on a big travel fork. Who knows.

I may be selling the bike and fork to a friend shortly. Despite my issues with this fork, I would definitely consider this fork again, but I would do more diligent research on service issues, to make sure it is all ironed out for 2009 and beyond. I really hope Zokes can get their act together and re-earn their reputation as builders of bulletproof forks.

Nothing with this much travel. Fox 32 a couple variations up to 140 mm travel. Rockshox Revelation Air U-turn at 130 mm.

[Feb 09, 2009]
Nik Benko

Strength:

Has the potential to be super smooth and great feeling and Its really light. has cool adjustments in theory.

I had a really hard time getting this fork set up right and I'm pretty suspension savvy, it has loads of stickchion the general durability of the fork basically sucks

When I first got this fork the first thing I noticed was how sticky the fork felt. I tried putting fork oil and stanchion grease on it and it temporally fixed the problem. It was also really hard to get the right air pressure for my weight, the recommended pressures were nothing near what I wanted the fork to feel like and the ATA air chamber had a leak. After a few weeks of trial and error I finally got the fork running smoothly but then about two months later the fork started riding low in the travel and would not return to full travel.

I contacted marzocchi when I noticed the travel issue and they wanted me to send in the forks and get them back weeks to months later, I racing a series now, so going weeks without a fork was not an option so I ended up selling the frame and fork and using a different bike.

Like I said all of the adjustments are good in theory but the build quality and overall execution just plane stinks. A few of the bike at the shop I work at have the new 08 marzochhi 55's on them and I have yet to see one that functions like a fork you would expect of a $2,500+ bike that they come on.

I didn't pay much for them so 3 on the value but the poor quality and service forces me to give it 2 on the overall

RS Pike, 2008 Marzocchi 888 RCV, Marzocchi All mountain 4, 55 R

[Sep 21, 2008]
Jeff

Strength:

The fork is quite adjustable and relatively light for its travel and versatility.

Poor quality and workmanship

The manufacturing quality is quite poor. In just three months I have had two major failures. First the TST cartridge failed and had to be replaced, and then the ATA cartridge failed a month later. Although I would like to think I'm an aggressive rider that just is hard on equipment, the fact is I'm not. My bike has been out of commission for a full month (of the three months I've had it) while waiting on replacement parts from Marzocchi.

The fork has nice features, but the quality and workmanship are definitely questionable. My interactions with the retailer, Bothell Bike and Ski, and Marzocchi have been less than spectacular as well. My preference was to have the fork replaced with a new one due to the numerous indications I had a "lemon", but neither were interested in discussing other options. I'll continue to sit and wait, bikeless, while Marzocchi replaces another failed part. :-(