Manitou Travis Triple 2008 Forks

Compatible Rear Shock Models
    Swinger Coil, Revox, Evolver

• User Reviews (4)

m-unit   Downhiller [Aug 04, 2013]
    Strength:

cheap
    stiff
    easy 20mm axle

bias people

ive ridden the 180mm 1.5, 180mm dual crown and the 203mm dual crown, all great forks, they have black ones, gold ones, lime green ones, ive had all the dh forks, except the great white buffalo of the 203mm single, which is rare and fairly hard to find. i tried each of them out for about 1-2 years and i currently still have one on my bike, might put one on my new 2014 bike. i ride with the firm spring and i weigh 220-240 over the years. the only time i ever bottom the fork out was when i did about a 6ft drop to a basically flat landing. the compression on the older models barely does anything, but it does work because you can move the travel and not bottom out on most things (very plush), the rebound adjustment works well, but the knob does loosen and falls off if you are not careful. i use a socket to adjust mine.

i get alot of hate towards my fork by people that have never rode it, which is typical for the biking world. mostly people are like "fox 40, bla bla bla.. best fork ever".

i have never had a problem with these, every so often i do, do some maintenance on them, which is a bit tricky at first but becomes very easy to do. WATCH OUT FOR REVERSE THREADS on the cartridge side. sadly i have broken one off before and do NOT over tighten the pinch bolts, look up the torque setting, it is not suppose to be super tight. for maintenace, i put grease on the seals and the spring, fresh oil in the cartidge, and a little amount of oil just floating aroiund on the bottom lowers. the foam ring should be put in oil. if you dont do that you will get sanction wear.

if you use a direct mount stem, do not over tighten it, follow your torque guide, ive seen one stripped one.

i like these forks, simple and dependable. these have been to mammoth and northstar and never skipped a beat. i need to try a fox 40 so i can see how "great" it is, but from some people i talked to its about the same on the older 40s, but i never see nthose people ride so i cant say how good they are

Similar Products Used: marzocchi stuff all years(99-08) the "t-series", 888, 66, old boxxers (03-06), no fox 40s, other manitous, splice, sherman
    NO-BRAKES   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 2010]
    Strength:

I have the Travis Triple with TPC+ dampening. There are ones out there with INTRINSIC dampening that I hear are a big problem with the intrinsic cartridge but this revue is for the one I own, the Triple TPC+ model 203mm. (8 inches) This fork is super plush, super adjustable, great long travel fork! I bought this to replace another 2007 Travis Triple which I bought to replace the original 7 inch Travis Intrinsic SINGLE crown that came with my bike. You get that? Boy what a difference from the 2007 Travis Triple. I'm SO glad I bought this fork. I hear so many people bash Manitou but that's because Manitou was bought by Hayes Brakes and they won't support anything that "OLD" Manitou made. For instance, this fork! Which REALLY sux in my opinion because I have Hayes Brakes and just like Exxon cared more for their public image and wasted three days to figure out how to handle the bad public relations, the oil killed a way of life, so to should Hayes take responsibility for the "old" Manitou product, because after all, there IS Avid Juicy out there and other Disk Brake models and if Hayes brakes want's my continued loyalty, they better start thinking of supporting my Manitou that was bought from a company prior that owned it! They bought the company, they should have took on the responsibility to help those that bought Manitou. Manitou's business value and assets were not worth anything without US that bought the product prior to the purchase by Hayes. lNow they want to turn their back on the people that bought the product? Not a good idea in public image or a good way to keep loyal customers. Which is probably why Manitou has gone DEEP under in terms of brand loyalty since Hayes Brakes bought them out and all have gone to Boxxers and Marzocchi. However as to the OLD manitou Travis Triple, I have a 203 millimeter that is so sweet. It comes with compression and rebound dampening and you can adjust it for a quick down, quick up, slow down slow up, or slow down quick up or quick downstroke and slow up. The rebound adjust works incredible and the Compression adjust, unlike the 2007 model, works a lot better and provides great resistance if you like a slow down stroke or loosen it so it's fast down. Either way, it's a great fork! It also comes with an AIR ASSIST cartridge that is another reason why it is so nice. I'd give this fork 10 peppers but the button don't exist! I like the 20mm axel thru but most of all, it's so plush, it just runs over everything. I love it. I don't realize it, but I find the dirt oil marks on the stantions almost full travel after a ride and have no idea where I hit that hard in a ride. It's just so soft and plush it's incredible. Manitou did and incredible job making this fork. The only thing I'm angry about is Manitou no longer offers an inexpensive triple crown for a guy like me and I'm not a racer so I'm not buying a Dorado, nor would I be stupid enough to buy one for the price they ask. If you don't race, who can afford the durado price? I'd like to see Manitou continue selling it because I just don't ride on Single Crown, never will. If I ever buy another fork, Manitou, under HAYESE rule, will lose me as a customer because I will have no choice but to go to another company that offers a triple crown for an affordable price. Manitou, under Hayes rule, needs to wake up and start offering support, AND PARTS for old ownership buyers, but that has nothing to do with the fork I bought from the old ownership. The Travis Triple is an incredible fork!

No parts available hardly at all for it due to Hayes buying Manitou and the lousy policy that Hayes now has for Manitou customers that purchased Manitou product prior to Hayes' buy out of Manitou. I feel it's an irresponsibility and is pusillanimous in nature not to cover people that bought from Manitou when they were still under the old ownership. It's a cop out! They should continue to make parts and continue to offer support. Otherwise, it's a GREAT fork! I bought two, one for each bike. If one ever goes, and Manitou is not offering an inexpensive Travis like fork in a triple crown version for guys like me, I'll finally jump ship over to marzocchi and end my loyalty to Manitou. By then, Hayes will have to figure out why no one is buying Manitou and wake the F up.

The bottom line is the 2008 model is FAR superior to the 2007 Manitou Travis, it's super plush and super adjustable, and don't bottom out on me. It's a great fork and now you can find some left on Ebay, because Manitou, under Hayes brakes, discontinued it and is pushing everyone to go with the way over priced, and only can be afforded buy down hill racers, Dorado model, which is most likely sponsored and given to for free to those racers. The rest of us are forced to look at the writing on the wall because a company like Hayes just don't get it, and admit that all good things come to an end eventually, and jump ship for a Marzocchi or Fox etc.

Hayes needs to wake up man. Their about to lose what's left of their Manitou brand loyalty customers.

Then again, maybe they bought Manitou on purpose to let it go under and take the loss off their taxes.

Wake up Hayes. You brought back the Dorado, bring back the Travis Triple TPC+! And freaking produce the parts to fix the old ones! BRAND LOYALTY! Donald Trump would tell you that your crazy not to support the old customers. It's hard to make new ones. It's better on a company when you have your loyal fan base. Yer about to lose it! Wake up Hayes!

Similar Products Used: Manitou X-vert Dual Crown. Best for I ever had. Bought for $450, sold it ten years later for $80 on Ebay, in MINT condition inside from being well maintained by the "OLD" Manitou that still had old parts around for me to put new elastomers in it with new spring and other than leaking seals that I could have bought $18. When I maintenanced it with new oil, and put the new fork spring in with the original elastomers, I put my full weight on it and bounced up and down on it and it was as plush as the day I bought it and it never bottomed out. It ramped up like it was designed. I hated to let it go but I needed the money to buy the 2008 Triple. When I saw how good it was, I bought a second from the same guy.
    matt [belfast]   Downhiller [Jan 21, 2009]
    Strength:

very supple' an smooth

not enough compression adjustment

best forks i've ever used. nothing on the market compares in this price range.