Magura Wotan 2008 Forks

• Travel: 160mm
  • Dropouts: Thru axle 110/20 for Maxle
  • Lockout: Adjustable platform damping

naumanw   Weekend Warrior [Nov 25, 2009]
Strength:

Quality, quality, quality..

The remote for travel a adjust it came with has a sort of crappy plastic-feel to it.. I retrofit with a rockshox's remote..also came with a air shock that wasnt too impressive.
The travel adjust system could be improved.
Shock aftermarket upgrades(from magura) are expensive

Its German Engineering and they payed close attention to the finest detail and quality.The albert platform system gives it a noticeable lock out when tuned to the maxium setting, but anything in between gives a stiction feel to it. The travel adjust is VERY useful, just wish it could travel the other way around 120mm --> 160 mm...since almost always the only way to get it back up is to stop your bike..The ETA system Marzocchi used to use was pretty good in doing that.

Similar Products Used: Rock shox, marzocchi
mimi1885   Weekend Warrior [Oct 19, 2009]
Strength:

Plush, user friendly, effective Albert select. Remote. Stiff, stiff, stiff. 203 direct PM noise free braking. Massive tire clearance claimed to fit 2.8"

Well it weight more than 5.5lbs it claimed. with remote and axel it's about 6.3lbs. I can never push the fork to it's limit.

Wow this is a stiff fork, the Damper is great and it feels closer to a motocross than DH fork. It feels bottomless. It does take some time to set it up properly. It took me a few ride to really dial in the fork after the break-in period. I'm not good with this set up thing, it get too complicated some time with all function available for forks on the market today. Wotan has simple control and function easy enough for some one like me to dial it in. Unlike my 2step which has all the functions available it'd be nice if I know how they work and how to set them up. When I buy a product, I want it to do perform for me not learning to use it.

The fork massive double arch is not a gimmick it the real deal. I also like the fact that when I reduce the travel it actual feel more plush because the increase in negative air. It does come in handy when face with technical climb. I can also choose to lock out or tune the pro-pedal feature called Albert select, although I don't usually touch that but a few times I used it it's awesome.

Minimum brake rotor is 203mm but you can increase to 210mm.
Yeap!you heard it right 203mm minimum. It makes this fork the easiest to set up for flex-free, and drag free brake I've tried. First I thought that it would be overkill but after only a few rides I can see why it was designed that way. Simply awesome. As for the weight, I don't recommended the fork if you are an XC oriented or weight weenie. Choose other forks. This is for AM setup do-it-all bike.

Highly recommended.

Similar Products Used: Fox36, Lyrik 2step, Mavericks, Manitou travis
reddirt   Weekend Warrior [Dec 10, 2008]
Strength:

The adjustable travel is simple and awesome. It does not matter whether you are at 120mm of travel or 160mm, the plushness of the exact same. Also the adjustable lock out is great.

I have no complaints!

I would not go with anything else.

Similar Products Used: Nothing this good!
Francis Boner   Cross Country Rider [May 20, 2008]
Strength:

Adjustable travel from 120mm to 160mm, super stiff, nice fit and finish, high end componentry, nice graphics, super plush, remote is fantastic and Magura is wonderful for support.

Heavy around 5.5 lbs.

Fork is bomb proof and works way better than the Fox fork and the Lyric but is on par with the Marzocchi ATA 165mm and has a similar spring curve. I borrowed the Marzocchi from my friends new 08 commencal frame and loved the fork but he suggested the new Magura Wotan and I love it. It is just as stiff as the Lyric but smoother through its travel and simpler to use. The dials are easy to use and the maxel like the Lyric is simple to use. Thanks Magura.

Similar Products Used: Talas 36RC2, Lyric 2step air, Marzocchi 55ATA(08).