RST RST Megaan Air 2007 Forks

RST Megaan Air

Material : casting: magnesium stanchion: 30 mm, 7050 aluminium (hard anodized)

Zomb1e   Cross Country Rider [Apr 18, 2008]

cheap, but it really works! handy remote lock-out (AIR-RL version), light enough, not looks cheap, no need of hi-pressure pump

seems to be a few tough under my weight (70 kg)

This review is for 100mm travel AIR-RL version. First of all I'd like to say, that this fork really works. It works much better than it can be expected based upon its price. Mechanician, who installed this fork on my bike says, that it works like spring-oil Marzocci. Then my old front-wheel-holder (RST Capa T6) becomes dead I have to make a choice betwheen Megaan and RS Tora 302 (they were at similar price), and now I have no regrets for my choice. This fork really works on small surface imperfections (the thing, that other RST forks don't do) but seems to be tough enough under my weight (70 kg) for full 100-mm travel even on the minimal preload. But if we to take into consideration a fact, that this fork designed for XC riding and racing, things become clear. Rebound can perform as slow as you can imagine (if you need it); I prefer to ride on a 3/4 of full rebound speed position. Remote lock-out is very comfortable, allowing you to make your fork rigid while climbing "on the fly" whithout taking your hands out from the handle-bar. Remote lock-out is operated by thumb and can be placed on any side of the handle-bar (as for me, the left position is more suitable). When locked, the fork becomes really rigid with zero travel. Preload can be inflated without hi-pressure pump. For all time I used this fork, I inflated it only once. Summarizing, if you want a good-working, light (1.56 kg w/o steerer) and quite cheap fork for XC use - buy this, its great!
4 chili value due to rigidity, 5 chili overall.