RockShox Tora 302 2007 Forks

• Crown: Forged, Hollow 6061 T-6 Aluminum
  • Steerer Tube: Steel

[Jun 07, 2012]
Overdrive

Strength:

Price, strenght, massive construction, preload adjustment, rebound adjustment, lockout.

weight

Very nice entry level RS fork, with acceptable price. After 4 years and 7000kms works as well as new. 65% tarmac road use.

[Sep 19, 2011]
Acidv

Strength:

Reliability, durability, you can ride it almost anywhere and price.

Gets a bit stiffer during winter, but still works great though.

I have had this fork on my bike for 3 years now, and in those 3 years absolutely nothing had to be done to the fork in terms of repairing it. The bike has more than 8000km under its wheels and I rode it almost anywhere considering the terrain, even the tracks that were meant for a freeride or even DH bikers. Sure, it's not great as any Fox or more expensive Rock Shox forks would be and you can't really speed through the before menton terrains like you could on an actual freeride bike, but for its price it's definitely a best-buy and I was never falling behind compared to someone having a better fork on a descent.

RST Gila, Marzocchi 22

[Jul 12, 2011]
DurtDigglah

Strength:

Worked okay at best

Plastic coil preload adjuster failed, resulting in the coil and various other internal parts launching out of the fork leg, nearly hitting me in the face. Also required returning to Rock Shox after about 3 rides because the rebound damping just stopped working. Lots of stiction. Heavy. Not very stiff.

A cheap fork, best used by those that don't really take their mountain biking too seriously...or are a beginner. Go harder and the limits of this fork are found very quickly.

Recently upgraded to Manitou Minute Pro 20mm.

[Jan 20, 2010]
S.Mtn rider

Strength:

adjustable to allow for more travel

it pissed oil

I was so stoked. I had just replaced my stupid Suntour fork with a cool looking Rock Shox 302. Wow!!
But lo and behold, I had not had this fork on my bike for 2 months and it began leaking oil. My buddy had some fancy Rock Shox Reba on his new Rip 9, and the same thing happened. Oil everywhere.
I've come a way since then and now have Fox on my 2 year old Jamis. My Fox fork still works as well as the day I bought the bike new.
Do yourselves a favor... do not touch Rock Shox.

suntour

[Dec 05, 2009]
blogerry

Strength:

low price, adjustability, strength, warranty, durability, and reliable

nothing mine work fantastic for what I do (dirt jumping)

I love these forks and have had absolutely no problem with them. though i can see how it is easy to break the travel and lockout knobs on it since they are cheap plastic knobs. Plus being a lightweight rider may also have to do with why they haven't broken yet.

marzocchi mz comp forks

[Sep 03, 2009]
Sp4rt4cus

Strength:

At first it seemed great, super plush, nice U turn adjustable travel for a variety of trail conditions, overall a great fork... at first.

After only ONE HOUR of having the fork installed on my bike, riding ON THE ROAD to show it to a friend, the rebound adjuster cap SHOT OFF THE FORK, spraying oil everywhere. I couldn't believe my eyes. There was no impact, I wasn't even on the bike at the time. Luckily RockShox has a warranty, but what a hassle! Now I'm stuck waiting for the local shop to get the new parts in from SRAM, but Labor Day weekend in sundance is now ruined, which was the whole point of buying the fork in the first place.

If you think the Tora you buy wont break like mine did, its a great fork. But apparently Rock Shox has been having these issues with a lot of their Tora forks. If I could do it again and not buy the tora, I would.

Marzocchi, Manitou, Fox, good stuff etc

[Aug 21, 2009]
booyahdex

Strength:

looks good with the 32mm tubes, performs well for its price range.

broke my u turn knob not by overtightening it or anything, just simply because i've turned it too many times. 'clicking' sound everytime you compress it at its full extention after a year of usage. heavy (not for weight weenies)

Worth it for its price, but wouldnt recommend it to anyone that is serious into riding.

recon 351, recon sl, rst forks

[Apr 16, 2009]
Stevo

Strength:

Good paint finish and that's about it.

2nd outing resulted in complete loss of oil and damping, 6th outing loss of lockout function....will be consinging them to the scrap bin once I've had a rant at Rockshox.

Speed is your friend, control your saviour!!

White Power IMV 80's - Brilliant!!

[Jan 16, 2009]
AngaryJack

Strength:

U-turn, 32mm upper tubes, lock out

Heavy(For weight weenies) The upper tubes have no markings to let you know where your travel is set at. U-turn knob is easy to over turn and break.

I am a Large man 260+ with gear and never shy away from a jump,small drop or downhill chute. I bought the U-turn model because I was unsure about increasing the travel on my bike. I have had no problems. I have found I am way more confident, and that is without the black xtra stiff spring, that I just ordered for next season. I never lower my travel under 130mm or lock out So the u-turn and pop-loc wasn't necessary for me.

RS Judy J2 80mm

[May 08, 2008]
Pat

Strength:

Inexpensive.

Heavey, soft spring, gushed oil,... the lockout broke in 3mo, when used with disk brakes it has A LOT of flex.

If this fork comes stock on your bike keep a close eye on it. If it suites you use it until it wears out (1 year) and instead of rebuilding it go out and buy a better/more reliable fork. If you do any aggressive XC just go ahead and buy a better and ligheter fork and toss this one in the spare parts pile or use it to build your girl friend or novice buddy a bike.

I purchased my first full sus bike and this fork came on it. I had intentions of swapping it out but just not this soon. Something seems to fail or fall off of it every other month.

Rockshox Reba Race, RST crap.