RockShox Reba Team 2007 Forks

• Damping: Motion Control
  • Steerer Tube: Butted Aluminum
  • Crown: Forged 7050 T-7 Aluminum

dkelly   Cross Country Rider [Jan 29, 2011]
Strength:

Light weight, adjustability, easy to service

Excellent shock for xc and light trail riding. Running it with the 100mm spacer (vs 80). Easy to adjust compression and lock out. I run 10 psi lower in the negative chamber after reading set-up advice in the forms. Works well! Original set up was with handlebar lockout, but never used it and decided to lose the added weight and clutter. I pulled it off and converted it to the crown lock-out adjuster. One of the great things about Rock Shox is the availability of service manuals on line, as well as their service videos on you tube. I bought this fork for next to nothing on Ebay because the seller thought it was broken. Performed the routine service and seal replacement and it works like new. Definitely sticking with Rock Shox as sending off other mfg's forks for professional service can cost well over $100 each time.

Similar Products Used: Rockshox Psylo, Fox Float
jeffandre   Cross Country Rider [Jan 26, 2010]
Strength:

Light, stiff, good adjustability for XC riding.

Color choice (white). No travel band on fork tube. Need to have different Motion Control compression assembly for remote control.

After much research I figured I would get a Magura Durin Marathon with on the fly travel adjustment capability. Cost was over $700, and since I wanted to get new wheels this spring I decided to look for used 85-100mm forks that had good reviews on this site. The Reba Team met my cost and review expectations. It was used but basically looked and felt new.
Mounted it in about an hour, made the basic adjustments as decribed in the manual and from this site (compression in the middle for noraml riding, rebound also in the iddle range, lockout floodgate setup to 1/2 turn from highest, both air pressures at 148, about 25% sag), then took it out for a hard ride, what a difference! My bike has been completely transformed, love the plush feeling and the fact that the fork can take good hits with 85mm travel while responding excellently to roots and rocks as expected. Even stairs feel comfortable now, no harsh rebounding with adjustment in the middle of the range. This is a great fork for XC use, and the newer models should be excellent as well.
I am 220# geared-up and feel like I can ride any terrain with confidence now (except steep DH) and am very pleased with the Reba Team. Plan to PUSH it in 2011 and have travel increased to 100mm and add remote compression and lockout capability. Wish it was black...

Similar Products Used: RS Judy DH (coil).
Cogged   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2008]
Strength:

Light weight. Rigid construction. Can be set to be plush and take big hits.

RockShox does not lubricate their shocks internally, expecting the shock oil to do all the lubrication.
This results in serious stiction after 1-2 months of use.

Great value for the money.
After hearing too many negative things about Fox shocks leaking, sloppy tolerances, and their overpriced reputation, I settled on the Reba Team, and returned a Fox RL.
I initially set it at 90 psi positive/90 psi negative initially, and it rode like butter.
It was extremely responsive to small bumps and also took the bigger hits like landing on a pillow.
However, after three months, the fork began to become increasing harsh and unresponsive, resulting in teeth chattering hits and a really fatiguing ride like a rigid fork.
I completely stripped it down, and discovered that Rockshox uses minimal to no lube at all for the o-rings, sliders, and moving parts!
They count solely on the shock oil to lubricate everything, which is bad news.
Rubber parts and o-rings tend to become sticky against metal surfaces when lubricated with shock oil only over time.
This results in a lot of stiction, and an extremely harsh ride.
I lubricated all the o-rings, rubber parts, and stanchions with Buzzy's Slick Honey, and reassembled everything with the recommended weight shock oil.
In all fairness to Rockshox, they do have a really detailed assembly/disassembly tutorial on their website for their front and rear shocks.
After reassembling everything and pumping the shock back up to the 90+/90- psi settings that I used, something was still not right.
The shock travel would visually suck down by 20-25mm when putting more than 70psi in the negative air chamber, reducing the travel and preloading the fork too much.
Come to think of it, it was also doing this right about the time the shock started to get really harsh and unresponsive before I serviced it.
After experimenting a bit, I settled on a 100psi+/70psi- setting, and the Reba rides like butter again and takes the big hits like a Lincoln Navigator!
For some reason, maybe it's only my Reba, but when I exceed the 30psi difference between the positive and negative air chambers, the negative air chamber overpowers the positive air chamber and sucks down the travel, preloading the fork, reducing the travel, and resulting in a harsh ride.
As long as I keep the negative air chamber 30 psi lower than the positive air chamber setting, it seems to work fine.
In spite of these issues, the Reba is now performing flawlessly, but I'll reserve judgment for a long term revisit review.
I'm giving it a 3 for overall rating because it needed to be completely disassembled and relubed when new, which is unacceptable, especially if you're not the mechanically inclined type, and would have to pay a shop to do it for you.
Since servicing it, if it continues to perform flawlessly, I would give it a 4-5.

Similar Products Used: Manitou, RST, Fox
Rodrigo Quirós   Weekend Warrior [Aug 07, 2007]
Strength:

The ability to mess around with lots of tuning options that let you customize the way the fork works. I have the u-turn version and even if you’re not going to use it a lot it’s good to know it only takes a few seconds to change the travel, and sometimes that is going to make riding more pleasant.

I don’t think the pop-lock is a weakness but it isn’t that useful unless you’re into racing so I guess this is the only thing I could call a weakness. Even not being that useful, the design is very neat and well done. People can argue that having lots of tuning options could be a weakness but my take on that is that not being able to take full advantage of those is a weakness of the rider not the fork…

When I was riding the Vanilla I used to think: coil forks are better (reliability) and Rock Shox suck... Well after reading lots of reviews in the internet and in magazines I was really intrigued of the positive feedback this fork had. Eventually the reputation of the Reba and Pike became undeniable, and knowing that Avid had made some changes for the better, I was willing to try this fork and I’m more than happy with it for the time being.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Psylo (pos) and a Fox Vanilla
Sergey Kukushkin   Cross Country Rider [Aug 05, 2007]
Strength:

Have a lot of adjustments. Allows to tune almost for all XC conditions. Possible to have 2 different combination of adjustments and to switch between them easely. Fork has outstanding rigidity with light weight. Works outstanding when tuned well.

Not found.

The best I've ever tested for XC, XC racing and XC trails. Works insensibly and it keeps wheel on the track making outstanding grip.

Similar Products Used: RockShox Tora 318 80 mm, Marzocchi MX Pro 80 mm, Manitou Skareb Elite 80 mm
Han Ju Park   [Apr 21, 2007]
Strength:

Àû´çÈ÷ °¡º­¿î ¹«°Ô, ´Ù¾çÇÑ ¼¼ÆÃ, °ß°í-Æ°Æ°ÇÔ, Àû´çÈ÷ ¸ÚÁø ¿Ü°ü

¶ô¼¡¿¡¼­ °£¸¸¿¡ ²Ï ¹°°Ç ¸¸µé¾î³½µí.
µà¾ó¿¡¾î¶ó¼­ ¼¼ÆÃÀÌ ÀÚÀ¯·Î¿Í ºÎµå·´°Ôµµ, ´Ü´ÜÇÏ°Ôµµ Á¶ÀýµÈ´Ù´Â°Ô »ó´çÈ÷ ¸¶À½¿¡ µç´Ù... ½ºÅټǵµ 32±¸°æÀ̶ó Æ°½ÇÇÏ°í »ó´çÈ÷ ÇèÇÏ°Ô ÅÀ´Âµ¥µµ ÀüÇô ¹®Á¦°¡ ¾ø´Ù´Â°Íµµ ±Â. ¹«°Ôµµ 1.58KgÁ¤µµ¸é °æÀï»ç Á¦Ç°º¸´Ù °¡º±°í ¸ð¼ÇÄÁÆ®·Ñ ½Ã½ºÅÛ ´öºÐ¿¡ ¶ôÇسõÀº »óÅ¿¡¼­ ±ÞÀÛ½º·´°Ô µÐÅεîÀ» ¸¸³ªµµ ¾È½ÉµÇ´ÂÁ¡ÀÌ »ó´çÈ÷ °í¸¿´Ù. À¢¸¸ÇÑ µµ·Î¿¡¼­ ¶ô Ç®°í ´Ù´Ò ÀÏÀÌ ¾ø´Ù... ¸®¸ðÆ®¶ôµµ ÀÇ¿Ü·Î Æí¸®ÇÏ°í ½áº» ¼¡Áß ÃÖ°íµî±ÞÀ» ÁÖ°í½ÍÀº³ð. ƯÈ÷ ¹Ù°¡Áö õ±¹ Çѱ¹¿¡¼­ °¡°Ý °ÅÇ°À» ¸¹ÀÌ »«µíÇÏ¿© Æø½ºº¸´Ù ³ô°ÔÃÄÁÖ°í ½Í´Ù.

Similar Products Used: Fox F100RLC
Andrew Pinto   Weekend Warrior [Apr 15, 2007]
Strength:

Reletively light
Dual air - so multitudes of set ups for that plush feel

Lock out - jams and does not release - needs servicing

Go for it, its a good value for ,money - pay for the Team version cause its dual air.

Settings i found useful as follows - use 80% of recomended for "+" and 80% of the "+" for the negetive.

Similar Products Used: Upgraded from J3, while i was building my bike
Martin Nash   Cross Country Rider [Mar 27, 2007]
Strength:

Supple and forgiving, infinite range of adjustments especially the rebound, poplock and blow valves. Blends in very well with a silver frame and costs considerably less than a Fox equivalent. Stands up well to my 266lbs riding weight and push on style.

Mud clearance could be a bit better for winter gloop riding. Takes time to settle in and requires time to learn all the different adjustments. I am an ex MotoX rider so adjustments and fettling come second nature to me.

Replaced std Rockshox Duke with RockShox Revelation (white looked bad against silver so they went back to LBS), Fox talas considered (but could not justify $250, extended family of four Giant MTB bikes to look after as well). Final decider was the annual service costs for Fox that made the Reba the family man's choice for me. Try them you will not be disappointed. Would have happily considered giving 5 chilis but then RockShox would have nothing to aim for for the 2008 and 2009 models!