Marzocchi MX Pro 2007 Forks

• 30mm Alloy Stanchions
  • V-Brake
  • 6" Post Mount

riqtan   Weekend Warrior [Nov 23, 2009]
Strength:

After the initial break in period, my fork has been very plush & responsive. Excellent stiffness. Extremely tunable. I own the 2007 Dual Air 80mm variety & it has never bottomed out even on tough trails. Extremely low maintenance.

Not ultralight, but for the price its fairly decent tipping the scales at about 4lbs.

Great value for your money. Performance is comparable to forks costing twice as much.

Although my fork comes w/out the Lock Out feature (by choice), I have not found the need for such. Once I've found the perfect air setting, I experience almost no bobbing even on concrete roads.

It's not the perfect fork, but in its price range, its definitely one of the best.

Dan D   Cross Country Rider [Jul 20, 2009]
Strength:

Great, reliable, predictable fork for the money. I keep trying to talk myself into buying a much higher-end fork, but always sop myself because this fork does everything I need it to do for the type of riding (XC) that I do. Even with only 85mm of travel it has handled an single track that I have thrown at it. I have never bottomed it out as some other reviewers have mentioned, but that's also because I don't take many drops doing the XC riding that I prefer. Basically, you can't beat this fork at this price point.

No lock out, but that was also my choice not to buy the LO version. As other reviewers have noted, the first 5-10mm of travel are a bit sticky. But once you get past that this fork is very plush; it tracks very well. It's heavy, but what do you expect for $275?

This fork gets strange looks from other riders when they see some of my other components on my Kona. It's got to be odd to see a bike with other high-end components like American Classic wheels and carbon wherever I can make it fit...only to see this anchor of a fork up front. Every few months I get the urge to splurge and go with a high-end fork. But I always talk myself out of it. Short of adding a lock-out, I would have to spend at least twice as much to get similar performance but with a bit more *bling* factor. This fork has done the Counting Coup, Vision Quest, Traverse & Sea Otter races along side forks that cost 3x as much. It's simply never let me down.

Bottom line, I know I could have a better fork. This fork isn't great, it's just extremely adequate. Until I *need* a better fork I am very happy with this one.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Minute & quick demos of buddies' bikes with Fox & Rock Shox forks.
addict42   Racer [Jan 15, 2009]
Strength:

Stiff, Smooth, Fairly light, Very reliable

Limited adjustability (not a weakness at this price point)

My fork is actually the 2006 version (85mm travel). For the price, this fork is simply fantastic. It corners very well, even over rough and root-covered corners, tips the scale at just under 4 pounds, and never seems to need maintenance. I have ridden it for two years now and the only maintenance I've performed has been cleaning and lubricating the sliders after each ride. The fork is still as smooth as it was when new. It also maintains a consistent air pressure for months at a time.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Mars Elite, Rock Shox Pilot
Albertinho   Cross Country Rider [Sep 21, 2007]
Strength:

No bottoming, smooth when broken in, less then 2 kg, quality, elegant looks. A lot cheaper that the ETA version.

Could be a bit lighter with an alloy crown and steerer tube. No lockout, it bobs during heavy out of the seat mashing up the hill. But climbing in the seat is fine, I don't miss it then at all, you roll over roots and stuff easier with some suspension. No real weaknesses actually.

I upgraded from the Dart 3 which was quite okay for the money. The MX is lighter though and I can feel more stiffness on the front end, it is more stable and reassuring on fast downhills than the Dart was, and it tracks the terrain better. It has a bit longer axle to crown length as well. It took more than a month for it to get broken in but it's smooth now. When I ride I just pick the lines and it soaks up all the bumps in the way, doing what a decent fork should do quite well. The RV takes a bit too many turns from slowest to fastest setting, I was turning it bit by bit towards fast and left it at some 75%, I guess if the fork feels "right" then it's set up fine.

The psi settings in the manual are a bit too high, I had to reduce pressure to make the correct 20-25mm sag and achieve more travel. It does some 90mm of travel on the roughest bumps now, but I guess it's not bad actually because it has a reserve from bottoming that way. I will put a bit less oil when I'll be servicing it to squeeze out a few more mm's of travel though. But now I'm keeping it as it is, why tamper with it if it works? Good fork, get it.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Dart 3
Matt Kuhl   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2007]
Strength:

Adjustability for such an inexpensive fork is rather good; rebound damping and (air) spring pre-load.

It feels a bit "sticky" sometimes and although it has provisions for V-brakes, good luck finding the pivots to actually make them work.

Too much air and this fork is crap. I think it came pre-loaded at 40psi, but it became a much more usable fork at the 26-28psi I run now. I'm 5'11" and 175lbs, so I imagine the factory pre-load is set up for 200+ pounders.

Similar Products Used: RockShox Dart
Mark s   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2007]

This is a follow up to my earlier review and to Andy Sommerville's (and my) last complaint (about only getting 75 mm. of travel). I weigh 170 lbs. and found that I could get 90 mm. of travel out of the shock if I put in only 22 psi instead of the reccommended 35 psi (although it's a bit too soft and squishy at such a low psi). So I think the common problem of lack of travel is not so much that Marzocchi may be putting too much oil in, but that their recommendations on how much air to put in are way too high. I think you need to choose between big bump without pogo performance, or a soft cushy ride over the small stuff.
So I guess the big question is "is this just a limitation of the MX Pro, or does one need to make this same tradeoff/choice on the decent Fox and Manitou shocks?

Andy Somerville   Weekend Warrior [Sep 05, 2007]

This is a follow-up to my earlier post about travel issues with this fork. Though it's billed as a 100mm fork, in real world conditions, I can't get more than 75mm travel out of it. I had the guys at The Path Bike Shop in Tustin drain and refill the oil to the proper level and confirm that the fork is operating properly. When aired up to the correct PSI for my weight, and with the sag reading where it needs to be, it produces about 75mm travel max. This is a real bummer for any fork found outside a Wal*mart, much less a $400 fork (mine is the ETA version). Anybody elese got any experience with a fix for this?

andy somerville   Weekend Warrior [Aug 07, 2007]
Strength:

ETA, smooth stroke, rigidity, effective rebound

Doesn't produce advertised 100mm travel

I have a 2005 MX Pro ETA, and I'm experiencing the same travel (or lack thereof) issue I've seen from other members. This is supposed to be a 100mm fork, but I can't get more than 75-80mm out of it. E-mailed Marzocchi USA and they responded quickly and suggested the oil level may be too high. If so, it came from the factory that way as I've not had it rebuilt or serviced. Their quick response suggests they've heard this complaint before.
I'll be taking it in to my LBS (The Path in Tustin, CA) for a look-see. I'll have them check the current oil level, then compare to factory specs and adjust as needed. I will post again if/when I get it resolved and out for a ride to judge the results. It will take me 3+ weeks to work through this.