Mountain Bike Action Magazine Magazine

Mountain Bike Action Magazine Magazine

Mountain Bike Action Magazine

[Jul 01, 2010]
panzer07

Strength:

great tech aricles, product reviews, pictures of great riding, subtle humor in some of the reviews

not very many women in photos!!! Sometimes too tilted towards Specialized

Still favorite mag of all the bike mags but wish for more articles and photos of women on bikes as there are many many female riders out there.

Decline, Mountain Bike, Bike, and Dirt Rag

[Jul 31, 2009]
decamun
Downhiller

Strength:

Some good articles. I like the trail grams. Thats about it

The biasedness was something I hadn't noticed, but, I had been picking up a really bad vibe from reading the thing lately. I read about that and I realized why. The magzine really does subtly tell you to buy those bikes. My other issue is that the magazine takes itself way to seriously. It has this feeling that it's giving you orders, and telling you what to like, that I don't really like. I am a downhiller, so a lot of the stuff in this magazine I just don't identify with.

Really, Just read Bike

Bike, The IRS

[Jun 01, 2009]
WalterN

Strength:

Technical articles; reviews, etc.

too many ads and biased reviews.

Reading through all of the negative reviews below, I'm pretty shocked that people are surprised that MBA (or almost any publication for that matter) bends their content to please their sponsors. Magazines and newspapers are dropping like flies, so don't be surprised when the publication hands out positive reviews to their biggest sponsors. Take this magazine for what it is: ENTERTAINMENT. DirtRag is a far superior mag.

That being said, MBA has some good points.
- Their "Garage Files" section contain some really good info. I have actually cut a few of them out for future reference.
- Their new bike reviews, while not the most unbiased, contain a lot of good information about the bikes like geometry, suspension details, etc.
- The Trailgrams section is pretty entertaining.
- The pictures (especially user submitted) are great.

During downtime and winter months, it really does get you psyched to get back behind the bars.

Dirt Rag, Bike.

[Aug 31, 2008]
Cracker69

Strength:

it stinks

it stinks

This is a repost of a comment I made some time ago elsewhere in MTBR. There must be a direct connection between MBA magazine and Specialized and Santa Cruz bikes. I just let my subscription lapse 'cause, amongst other things,I got tired of reading the constant stream of hype associated with these two brands. Another thing I've noticed is a real west coast bias. Moerover the last two years is significant negative reviews of GF and Trek products that ended abruptly and completely with a complete 180 about six to eight months ago and now its all smiles for both brands. In parallel were constant sniper comments about GF himself that evaporated into complete gushing by the same authors around eight months ago. Its all very odd.

BTW has anyone noticed that the photographs in this magazine are angled to make them seem more dramatic and daring. I clearly have too much time on my hands but if you follow the growth of the vegetation, they are often angling the photos by about 30 degrees.

Dirt Rag here I come.

Dirt Rag and others

[Aug 23, 2008]
Trek-6000

Strength:

Great Articles on just about everything you need to know. Also in the back, there are pages of product and stores so you can just flip to the back if you need to purchase a new component for your bike.

Would Like to Have a few more articles than what there is for the price of the magazine.

I will still purchase and subscribe to this magazine. It is one of the more popular ones in the US and has alot of good advise from a beginner to expert.

[Aug 25, 2003]
Stark

Strength:

When it's good, it has plenty of good reviews of bikes and components i might want to ride (CC with plenty of suspension). You can usually find it at any supermarket/newstand if you need to waste some time and want a bike fix.

When it's bad, it's just RC's view of the universe with reviews I don't care about. Who came up with "black diamond" riding? It's called FREERIDE. Like FREE Surfing or FREEstyle sports.

The writing is ok, but it's all RC, all the time. He knows a lot, but I check mtbr for my reviews and trust the community more than one guy. He really seems to like specialized.

Not as good as Dirt Rag, better than Bike. More mtb articles than Bicycling.

[Aug 24, 2003]
Joe

Is RC is a right-wing wacko?
The magazine's testing is more akin to a belief in some bizarre SoCal religion than anything to do with empirical sciene. IF you happen to be someone who doesn't ride fire roads exclusively, than the opinions they express in their bike tests are totally useless.

Mountain Bike Fiction: Your number one source for for stupid $hit that people actually believe.

[May 15, 2003]
Sean McNair

Strength:

I don't know since they won't send me my frickin magazine

CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS!!!!

Don't ever buy a subscription from hi-torque or MBA. More than 5 months ago i sent them money. still no magazine. I have called (they don't answer phones and a busy signal ALWAYS comes on) I have sent numerous emails that were ignored. I am now filing a complaint with the internet fraud complaint center to get either a refund or my magazines.

They had no problem cashing my money order but seem to have a serious problem delivering what i bought. Fortunately, I kept all my records.

[Feb 10, 2007]
Eric

Strength:

Good Reviews, good columns, very good magazine.

Seem to like every bike they test.

This magazine is very informational. They do plenty of testing on higg quality bikes. They give you information about upcoming events, what the pros are doing. They give reviews of products, like tires and jerseys and other stuff, overall it is a very good magazine that I would recommend to any real mountain bike enthusiast

[Mar 15, 2006]
Old Man Mountain

Strength:

Lots of reviews and advice

A Santa Cruz or Specialized in every issue?

After working in the industry for years, I receive comp issues of every mtb, bmx, velo and roadie rag published. This one does the best job in it's genre. And for you nonbelievers, RC can ride. Trust me.

I read 'em all