Roger Musson Wheel Building Book

Roger Musson Wheel Building Book

• Build your own professional quality wheels and save money
  • Tools, components, building, truing, design, spoke lengths, repairing and a wealth of first-hand tips
  • 100 pages size US Letter (A4) and over 65 detailed razor-sharp CAD diagrams and full-colour photos
  • Access my (Roger Musson) complete knowledge

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 07, 2016]
    DerekBurton

Strength:

Easy to follow and understand. Very good explanation for the first timer

none really

Built the jig from the plans and it works a treat and have now built half a dozen wheels and it does get easier the more you build.If your interested in wheel building then get this book it will prove invaluable.

[Jul 18, 2016]
    Kris

Strength:

Takes the mystery out of building a wheelset. Very practical guide with just the right amount of technical information. Includes information to build a nice set of wheel building tools at minimal cost. Very reasonable price.

None that I have found.

Built my first set of MTB wheels in July 2012 and never looked back. Wheels are still true 4 yrs later - no spokes have lost any tension. Preparing to upgrade my rear hub and looking forward to relacing the rear wheel. One of the most practical guide books of any kind I have ever bought.

[Jun 10, 2016]
    twodogsfighting

Strength:

Everything you need to build a wheel, apart from a rim, a hub, spokes and nipples.

Have to oil my own nipples.

Great book, invaluable information regarding wheel building.

so far i have built 2 extra shiny wheels, and they have yet to fall apart and kill me.

Sheldon Browns website.

[May 11, 2016]
    Greg Borchert

Strength:

Detailed, yet easy to follow and understand. Anyone can begin building wheels following Roger's method, yet one can also grow with the book, improve technique and gain understanding.

Like all wheelbuilders, Roger seems opinionated. I generally like the opinions expressed in this book, but some might disagree on certain approaches.

I've read every book on the subject of wheelbuilding that I've ever come across, and I follow Roger Musson's approach. The online spoke length calculator he provides results in spokes of the right length. Roger's lacing method becomes natural. I've definitely tweaked my method and do some things that are uniquely my own, yet Professional Guide to Wheelbuilding has provided the foundation. I'm a road bike guy. I have mountain bikes too, but we all know what we are, and I'm a road guy. I live in the Rocky Mountain foothills, and have often thought while descending some ridiculous and long mountain grade at what to me seems an often ridiculous speed, how nice it is to trust the wheels beneath me. For me wheelbuilding comes down to my experience on the bike. I build wheels for other people too, but the reason I build wheels is that I have a bunch of kids and grandkids. I've been using Roger's book for many years and I've never had any problem associated with my wheelbuild. To my way of thinking, that's the best reason to buy this book.

The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt; The Art of Wheelbuilding byGerd Schraner; Bicycling Science by David Gordon Wilson

[May 10, 2016]
    Qalan

Strength:

With this book anyone can build a wheel. Makes building a wheel as easy as walking down the street.

I'm well retired and in my 70s, so what did I do. I decided I would repair the family bike wheels instead of them being taken to the bike shop for buckles and the odd new wheel. This book opened my eyes to the magic of the wheel builder. Roger made it so simple with this book I couldn't go wrong. In fact he is so scathing about the people who make out its a black art I was probably afraid to even admit to myself I couldn,t do this stuff. With the help of this book I could and did build a number of wheels. I then proceeded to show off before introducing all my cycling friends and acquaintances to this fabulous book on how to build wheels. It's well worth the small outlay, just for the skill in taking buckles out of wheels and keeping them true over the previous few years. Even if you don't initially build wheels buy the book, it will save you pounds in the long run.

[Feb 21, 2016]
    Klaus

Strength:

Complete instruction manual on building wheels
    100% success rate when all the steps are being followed
    Practical guidelines on wheels based on the writers experience
    Information and instructions on tools to assist wheel building
    e-book format

Would be great if it also came also as regular print

The idea of building wheels popped in my head 2 years back and I started to acquire tools and all sort of information on how to build wheels. Roger's method is the best out there from all the various methods that can be found on the web and books and the book is a charm to read and understand. Technical enough to get the feel that Roger knows what he talks about but not too geeky and engineering focused.
    I have in the meantime built and repaired 15 set of wheels for me and friends and I am hooked on building more.

One key lesson I learned during my builds: Follow the SOP. Don't try to be a smarty pants and develop own short cuts. Rogers SOP is the best.

[Feb 19, 2016]
    NICK

Strength:

practical,simple,cheap,up to date

Having laced 6 pairs of wheels and trued many others having no problem and not being a pro wheel builder is the best review.

[Nov 24, 2015]
    Nick Gregory

Strength:

Everything you need to be a good wheelbuilder.

As with all "how-to" books, best to read and do at the same time.

Rogers book is a godsend if you want to learn how to build good wheels. I went from zero to now having built 20-something sets of wheels and repaired double that, with no problems. Even had someone ask a question about fatbike wheels so I went back to the latest edition download and there were the answers I needed. Fantastic. Best £10 you can spend as a bike mech....

[Sep 12, 2015]
    cannondalenik
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

East to follow, very well described stage by stage build.

My wheels have took a beating and are still true... so none!

Great book, used to build 3 wheel-sets so far and just starting my 4th set. Built the wheel truing stand using the plans in the book. Very informative and easy to follow. Have used my wheels for DH, trail, enduro... Even survived antur stiniog in N Wales (notorious bike breaker uplift)

[Aug 24, 2015]
    clarence phipps

Strength:

This book is complete you, like me, have to know nothing to build an outstanding wheel, that is if you follow Rogers instruction I can assure you that if you are interested in wheel building you won't find a better book than this one by Roger Muss

To tell you the true, I didn't find any weakness in the instructions for wheel building.

Knowing and using this book, I would buy it again, even at two or three times it's current price. I almost did but Roger was kind enough to reset my user and password (within 1 hour after I emailed him!) to allow me to download another copy after my computer crashed taking my book and logon info with it