Hydrapak Overflow Older Water Carriers

Seize The Day. A half dozen storage compartments and 100-ounces of cool, expedition-strength hydration -- time to burn a sick day. Whatever your definition of ‘long ride,’ the Overflow’s expandable cargo pocket means you’ve got the right pack. Adjustable, removable waist belt adjust up or down to fit your torso perfectly.

• Fluid Capacity: 100 fl oz/2,957ml.
  • Bag Capacity: 420 inches 3/6.9 liters

• User Reviews (31)

Kevin   Weekend Warrior [Sep 17, 2003]
    Strength:

Easy to use. Easy to clean. The bladder conveniently turns inside out for cleaning. You don’t have to purchase special brushes or hangers to clean and dry the bladder. Wide opening at the top makes filling a breeze. There is no need for specially shaped ice cube trays or funnels for adding powders. It is very durable. I have endoed a couple of times landing directly on the pack and it hasn’t leaked a drop. I used it on a 200 mile ride last year and had enough room to cary everything I needed (support vehicle carried luggage). If you need to carry alot with you, the weight of a plastic zipper is not a big deal.

The bite valve (older model with blue mouthpiece) was a big problem shortly after I purchased it. I replaced it with a different type of valve and it has worked great since. Also, I have the older model (2001/2002???) and I would like to have a quickly accessible medium sized pocket in addition to the huge compartment and deep pockets that my version has. The 2003 model has added such storage.

The Hydrapak Overflow is a great pack that is comfortable to wear, has good storage space, is durable, and is priced very competitively.

David Parenteau   Weekend Warrior [Nov 27, 2001]
    Strength:

Lots of water capacity and tons of storage for pump,wallet,keys and the likes.

Waist Strap is a little short(I'm a big guy)Easy to make longer though,my wife is a seamstress.I understand that the average rider is quite a bit smaller than me so a longer strap would be impractical for the average guy.I'd kind of like to see a longer tube as well.
    Contrary to what a lot of guys have found,my valve hasn't leaked at all.Maybe they've fixed the problem with the new units.

The blowout price was really attractive,hence the 5 chilis for value.I can't rave about the product,yet I have no real complaints.It does what it's designed to do,plain and simple.If anyone asks,I'd have to say go ahead and buy one.

Similar Products Used: Looked at Camelbacks and a few no-name units.
    Nic Bender   Cross Country Rider [Mar 04, 2002]
    Strength:

As outlined in the product info

The valve leaked on initial use. When it was put onto lock in made no difference. The Hydrapak rep was in Tassie and said the prolem lies with fault o-rings in the mouth piece. He replace it with a different mouth peice, squeeze to get water rather than lock/unlock etc. Seems to work well now.

As long as I get about 12 months out of it, I'll be happy.

Similar Products Used: None. Checked out the camelbak's, too expensive. Looked at other brands, was tempted but went with the hydrapak overflow.
    Justin   Cross Country Rider [Jul 30, 2002]
    Strength:

pockets- pump, keys, and one big one for just about everything
    resevoir- the EasyClean design makes it easy to put ice in it (crushed or cubes only)
    customizable

bite valve- little water flow and too complicated

The bite valve, though it has the advantage of closing, is pretty worthless so I just replaced it with one from my old camelbak-

Similar Products Used: camelbak
    Cheryl Trimble   [Jan 11, 2002]
    Strength:

Carries sufficient gear as well 100 oz of water. Great for those hot Arizona Days.

Hard to find replacement for 100 oz. size.
    Straps are sometimes hard to adjust.

I think this is a great product. Here in Arizona the hiking trails are warm early in the season. This hyradation system keeps me going for daily exercise hikes as well as longer weekend day trips. Expandable zippers on back a real plus. There is enough room to carry my energy bars, slip on my shirt and include sunscreen and a trail guide. I can carry more gear than my husbands Camel Pak (also 100 oz).

Similar Products Used: Camelpak. 70 oz size.
    brian smith   [Jan 04, 2002]
    Strength:

comfortable, bladder is wide and easy to clean, valve is nice(once I fixed it)
    velcro around tube is great...you can get hands free h2o

poor quality control...zipper split, webbing buckle broke, valve leaked the first time I used it

Mine leaked the first time I filled it and locking it made it leak even more. I live too far from where i bought it so I removed the blue cover and discovered the inner plastics were not held together well, and the spring was gunked. Some epoxy fixed that. After the glue taste faded it worked great, except for the lock which still makes it leak. The lock is not vital though.

Bottom line.......it's cheap, you can buy two for the price of a camelbak....just dont plan on it lasting too long.

Similar Products Used: none
    Scott Abercrombie   Weekend Warrior [Dec 29, 2001]
    Strength:

Holds heaps of stuff, pump spare tube pleanty of water etc..
    Velcro holder for the tube, really simple idea that works well.

tube length.

haven't had a problem with leaking valve. Turn it clockwise till it locks and it doesn't leek. Simple.

A great purchase, much better than the camelpak MULE equivalent. Don't like the hose on the camelpak, flops around too much and this product was almost half the price of the camelpak.

Go out and buy it

John Zornes   Weekend Warrior [Sep 13, 2001]
    Strength:

Holds a lot (both water and stuff), comfortable, and easy to use. Large opening makes it easy to clean and fill, even with ice. Looks pretty cool too.

Chest strap feels a little strange at first but once I start to ride I forget all about it.

I am a weekend warrior of low to moderate ability. I typically ride 10-20 miles on a weekend morning. There is often 1500 ft of climbing, some steep descending. Lots of steep double track and some single track.
    There was a lot of whining about the valve leaking but I can't figure out what you guys are all wrinkled about. I have put a lot of water into my pack and I never have any leaking problems. I didn't cut the hose so it sticks up above my shoulder a little. For me, this makes it easy to grab and it may make the difference in leakage.
    I took off the waist strap because it felt strange. The chest strap feels a little high at first but once you start riding you don't even notice.
    I don't tend to haul a lot of extra stuff but I have put a sweatshirt and coffee cut in there when I rode home instead of catching a ride back with my partner.
    The pack sits snugly in the middle of my back and is very comfortable. The padded back and shoulders make the pack very comfortable for rides.
    The Velcro that holds the hose to the shoulder tends to slide down a little. I sometimes wish that it would stay higher since I am a tall guy. I may tack it up, needle and thread, so that it stays up. BUT, it hasn't been so annoying that I have done anything about it.
    No crashing with it yet so I can't comment much on durability. So far, it shows no significant sign of wear.