Tioga City Slickers 1.5 Older Tires

City Slickers 1.5

City Slickers 1.5

KitKat   Cross Country Rider [Aug 01, 2001]
Strength:

- Quiet
- Low rolling resistance

- tough bead

no others yet

Good commuting tyre. It's quiet and has low rolling resistance, also seems fairly puncture proof although I use a tyre liner underneath.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey Speedmax semi-slick (good but very soft, noisy and has the toughest bead in the world)
Eug   Cross Country Rider [Mar 07, 2000]
Strength:

Do what they're supposed to.

Useless on anything other than pavement.

These tires are my pavement tires when I feel brave enough to risk riding my bicycle in the city. (Cars, thieves... you know the drill.)

The work well on pavement and nothing else, just like they're supposed to. One thing I had to get used to was the fact that these are only 1.5's without knobbies. The difference in ride because of the smaller tires is quite pronounced. However, I love not having to pedal like a maniac anymore just to keep up with other city riders with slicks. The decreased rolling resistance is very obvious.

The only thing that bothers me is the little groove in the middle - catches tiny little rocks. Really just an aesthetic problem, but annoying nonetheless.

Overall a they'tr good tired. I bought these because I still like to jump curbs in the city, and 1" tires just don't seem like they'd cut it. I don't want to destroy my rims, even though they are just my backup wheelset. Plus, they look like my motorcycle tires. ;^)

Similar Products Used: Only knobbies
zbillster   [Feb 17, 2000]
Strength:

Price, quality

See review

Nice fast rolling tire for street use. My only complaint is that the groove in the center of the tread catches pebbles and will make an annoying "click, click, click" noise when the pebble meets the road on each rotation! So I clean out the pebbles sometimes at stop lights. Lots of side tread for less than ideal conditions. Would prefer a tire with a grooveless center tread next time.

Similar Products Used: Avocet Fastslick?
tommo   cross-country rider [Dec 04, 1998]

Set these up on my old mountain bike to do some road training. What a difference. I was going speeds that were once the domain of down hill. I averaged four miles per hour faster and my top speed was a good ten miles faster. I did a loop that used to take an hour and a half in an hour.
It was great in traffic too. I was beating cars off the light and really keeping up. I didn't have to give half as much as I did on knobbies.
I did get two flats on the first ride out. I haven't figured out if they were from a thorn or a tire, but I did not flat today. I also might just have to take it easier on these skinnier high pressure tires.