Ritchey SpeedMax Alpha Omega Older Tires

SpeedMax Alpha Omega

SpeedMax Alpha • Front specific, fast rolling cross-country tire • Square ramped center tread oriented for optimum braking performance • Graduated VFA side knobs for smooth transitions, controlled cornering • Excellent in wet or dry conditions

SpeedMax Omega • Rear specific, fast rolling cross-country drive tire • Center tread of reinforced triangular ramps = optimum traction performance • Graduated VFA side knobs for smooth transitions, controlled cornering • Excellent in wet or dry conditions

Carlos   Cross Country Rider [Mar 24, 2002]
Strength:

More traction off road than a slick.
Faster on pavement than knobby.

Less traction off road than knobby.

I only have the omega. Great compromise between fast tread and traction. It's fast on pavement and the little pyramids work great on big rocks and hardpack. I will buy this tire again, that is if I ever need another one. It wears very well.

Similar Products Used: Kenda Kwest
kat chomko   Weekend Warrior [Mar 24, 2002]
Strength:

These tires are _fast_ and predictable. The alpha, especially, is completely trustworthy on any terrain at any camber I'm brave enough to take it to, including wet pavement and loose sand and debris on road shoulders. I've ridden them over smashed bottles without flatting - though I have flatted the kevlar models on a construction staple and a couple of thorns.

The omega is an excellent all around tire as long as you aren't climbing over any roots or rocks - even at a lower PSI. They just don't have enough knobby. For riding around urban areas, however, they're wonderful.

If you want a set of tires for hardpack or urban riding that provides you with traction to brake and corner in loose shoulder debris, speed across lawns and generally fly along, these are excellent tires. Once you start getting into the "stairstep" hills when you're offroad, though, the Omega will hold you back. I swap my rear tire out for something with knobs when I go XC - the Omega has left me spinning at the first root too many times. Across the mud, though, both tires just plow through - and they both shed debris immediately. I can't recommend this set of tires enough for aggressive urban riding, but the Omega doesn't have enough cohones to get up up the steep, technical hills. Personally, I leave the alpha on the front for offroad - it hangs on in the corners like panties on a virgin.

Similar Products Used: top of the line slicks and semi-slicks
Mojombo   Weekend Warrior [Feb 24, 2002]

In the year that I owned these tires (the set) they never once let me down. The knobby outer tread held quite nicely on gravel and dirt. Screeching skid halts on asphalt left no visible wear on the center tread. To get to my favorite biking spot from my office I had to bike about a mile and a half of pavement. The small tread patter of the center part of these tires allowed me to have minimal rolling restistance on pavement without sacrificing handling on dirt. Given, any tire that is 100% massive knob will maintain grip longer on curves than these tires, but for XC these guys are perfect. Oh, and the blue sidewalls look killer too!

Hard to find, but worth the buy. My last bike was stolen. Now that I'm building up my new bike, I went out of my way find these tires again.

Bottom line: Good for XC/Pavement. Bad for DH and DS.

JB   Cross Country Rider [Dec 29, 2001]
Strength:

Alpha: Has good control, good tread design, stays to the ground in almost all conditions.

Omega: poorly designed side walls, fell apart on a standard CA fire road, not even hardcore x-c

Alpha can actually grip the trail and stay in one peice.
Omega on the other did a good job while it lasted. Almost everyride I got a flat tire and was running 55psi. OMEGA SUCKS

Similar Products Used: Panaracer Fire XC, WTB Motoraptor, Hutchinson Python, and Mosquito
Jon   Weekend Warrior [Aug 16, 2002]
Strength:

Price was right. If you ride 70% road 30% friendly trails this tire is right. Durablity is excellent without losing a lot of gripping power. Fairly light.

Sand trails and sandy pavement becomes uncontrollable at times.

If your favorate trails comprise of sharp rocks or sandy hardpack better look elsewhere. Tire is good looking for a 2.1 and the blue sidewall sets my ride off. Good wear/grip ratio for the price $14.95 ea.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Revolt Semi Slick
Anders Løkke   Cross Country Rider [May 25, 2005]
Strength:

Very nice grip in all directions, especially on hard, dry dirt roads and singletrack. Rolls nicely with low friction on paved roads as well, given the air pressure is there.

May slip occasionally on steep climbs, but what non-knobbed tire doesn't?

I like these tires. They were fitted to my bike when I got it, and I rode on it for about a week before I switched to my belowed, green Jet-S'. It immideately became apparent that they had much less traction on my paths and dirt roads, so after a few trips, the Ritchey's found their way back, and have stayed on ever since. As long as I am not riding in mud, they will continue where they are.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey Z-max, Michelin Jet-S, etc.
Joel Walker   Cross Country Rider [Jan 05, 2003]
Strength:

very soft and flexible, will grip on nearly all surfaces

very soft and flexible, can tear off knobbles whilst climbing rocky hills. Punctures like you won't believe. I got 5 punctures riding a trail a have riden avery day for the last 6 months on the way home from work and have only punctured my O.L.D. Cheng's twice in 6 months of riding.

very competant tyre, have climbed many things that I had to push the bike up before, can stop and corner faster and is quite an easy tyre to pedal to and from on roads and dirt. Doesn't clog and is excellent in wet conditions.

Have tried nearly every possible tyre pressure to avoid punctures but when I got a puncture from the dried stem af a gum leaf I had a little cry.

Bottom line: Good Tyre if you ride somewhere where you won't get punctures. Only problem is, you'll boldly get punctures where no man has got punctures before.