Ritchey mudmax Older Tires

Ritchey mudmax

Jonathan Lettvin   Racer [Sep 02, 2001]
Strength:

Slick mud, sticky mud, goopy mud

Wear out fast

Excellent tires, especially for places like the northwest where you get very slick clay-like mud which is either slippery and hard or slippery and soft and sticky. These tires hook up /extremely/ well in any wet conditions and in most dry conditions as well. Ritchey uses a very soft rubber compound which makes for excellent traction but sort-of-short tire life. It's worth it; these things are my absolute favorites for my rear tire.

Also, the 1.9" width works fine even for heavier riders. I weigh 210 lbs and have never pinch-flatted them. I just run 'em around 45 psi and they're fine. The narrower width gives you more mud clearance and the higher pressure is fine because of the softer rubber compound. I raced a very rocky, slippery, fast course yesterday with this tire on the back of my Heckler and it was flawless.

Similar Products Used: lots and lots of tires
SteveK   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 06, 1999]
Strength:

Great traction in the mud, low rolling resistance

I got this tire with a bunch of otheres at an auction last year but never tried it until last week after a ggod rain. I should have tried it soone! I had traction where those with knobbys did not. Faster on the hard sections too. My son used it in a cyclocross race yesterday in a all day rain, mud to the axles in some spots and he had no traction troubles. After a snowfall of 3 today on top of yesterday's rain I put a Spike up front and was never at a loss for traction. I plan on another when this one is worn out.

Similar Products Used: Lots
Beaker   Cross-Country Rider [Nov 05, 1999]
Strength:

great in mud
corners good
climbs like a billy goat!

jittery when braking....but it's a semi-slick!

This tire rocks. It's made for use in mud but it also climbs like a mother f*&#er. (I weigh in at 190lbs.) I went out in a rainstorm with a buddy and made all the climbs in the saddle and he was sliding backwards down the hills. Climbs pretty good in almost any conditions except dry loose stuff and wet roots. Corners great in all but sand and pavement. My only complaint is that it's starting to crack after 3 months and I don't leave it in the sun hardly at all.

Similar Products Used: Spec. Team Master
Kris   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 12, 1999]
Strength:

cheap
light
does not accumulate mud

very little traction
only for easy trails

Sure, they are excellent at throwing away mud, because they don't have a lot of profile to stick mud into. In this sense, a slick tire would be the best mud tire! I feel these tires don't have a lot of traction and corner poorly. The Specialized mud tires are better in all respects IMHO, except that they have much more resistance on tarmac. Of course, this is no argument since we're talking about mountain biking. I think the trails you can do with this tire can be done better by a cyclocrosser.
I must say, for easy XC use, these are very fine tires and don't cost too much. I would give them almost 5 stars for this, but since they are sold as MUD tires, they get only 3 stars.The Specialized mud tires are much better. These Ritchey's are for easy trails only.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Extreme Control/Master (1.7)
rich   Racer [Jul 16, 1999]
Strength:

Excellent mud-clearing ability, narrow for frame clearance, good cornering, low rolling resistance, reasonably lightweight, innovative tread design

Mostly condition-specific- not an all-rounder

I love these tires racing in the mud (only time I ride mud, really). They clear mud very well (Storm Control #1, Mudmax#2, Dusterpro #3, Spike #5), corner very well (Mudmax #1, Spike #2, Dusterpro #3, Storm Control #4), dig down to give traction well (Spike #1, Storm Control #2, Mudmax #3, Dusterpro #4), and are the lightest of the mud tires I've run. Rolling resistance is low, similar to Storm Control 1.8s, but lighter. Can be used as all-rounders, too. For mud, they are an outstanding design.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer Spike
Panaracer Dusterpros
Specialized Storm Control
Ryan   Cross-Country Rider [Jun 18, 1999]
Strength:

Great traction while climbing out of the saddle

1.9 may not work for big guys or gals

These tires 1.9's work great on my Bridgestone MB-SS (single speed, actually a MB-2 converted with horizontal dropouts by Sycip). I climb out of the saddle quite a bit (as do most single speeders) and these tires maintained traction in every condition available.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer Smoke
mikeb   Cross Country Rider [Jan 16, 2003]
Strength:

very low rolling resistance
corner and bake well
does what it is designed to do--work well in mud
works well as sort of a dry condition semi slick
relatively cheap at the time

wear very quickly

does ritchey still make these things? i can remember using them as recently as 1998.

my setup was to use a velociraptor up front and a mud max out back during the winter time. the trails in northern california become very, very muddy between late december and early april. the velociraptor/mudmax setup was more than adequate for these conditions.

i would usually run my mudmax until early summer or until it wore out. the small paddles in the center wear fast, but the side knobs stay intact for a long time, making it an acceptable substitute for a full on racing slick in the rear--so long as you stay away from loose and rocky terrain, i.e., downieville, the pine mountain loop or the state of arizona.

the mudmax gets five stars for the value, because i remember how cheap they were but only four overall, due to how quickly they wear.

Similar Products Used: lots and lots and lots of tires.
Mike Nation   Weekend Warrior [Jan 16, 2003]
Strength:

*Good rolling resistance
*Great mud sheding ability
*Lightweight
*Good all-round traction tire

*Wears out fast
*Sometimes problematic on wet roots

This tire is the best rear tire for muddy conditions I've used yet. They wear out quickly if you ride pavement (like I sometimes do with my wife), but make an excellent XC tire for almost any condition out there. I'd like to purchase another but I can't find them anywhere. Did Ritchey quit making these?

Similar Products Used: Michelin Lite S, Maxxis MoFo, IRC Pirahna Pro, etc.