Onza Racing Porc 2.1 Older Tires

Onza Racing Porc 2.1

Si   Weekend Warrior [May 13, 2000]
Strength:

It was cheap at the time.

I used this as a rear tyre. It's lethal in anything other than 100% dry conditions. I ride rigid and the back of the bike was breaking away in situations that I wouldnt have thought twice about on another tyre. Scary Scary Scary

For your own safty don't get one of these - especially if you live somewhere than might get wet in the next millenium. This is the worst tyre i've ever used on the rear - even worse than the OE tyres fitted to my first GT Timberline back in 93. Avoid at all costs.

Similar Products Used: Dart / Smoke / Continental Cross Country 1.5 / WTB / Tioga Factory XC
Matt   Cross Country Rider [Apr 27, 2000]
Strength:

grip, black sidewalls

weight, durability

Great tire, overall. When you really think about it, what's the most important thing? How well it grips. And this thing grips _everything_. Part of that is due to the extremely soft compound. I still have my original tire from '93 or '94 with the steel bead, because it's hardly ever touched pavement or hardpack and I don't get offroad as much as I'd like. Pump it up and it's an awesome mud tire, even at 2.1 inches. With my really narrow rims, the very round tire profile makes it behave more like a 1.95 anyway. Let some air out and it's a great snow tire. I use it in the rear, with a '94 Panaracer Smoke Dart up front and have total confidence. When the Porc slips in slick mud, it always comes back in underneath me at least a half second before I feel out of control.
And if like me you want the new, lighter version (the only bad thing about the tire is its weight), www.gear.com is selling the 1.9 aramid (kevlar) bead for $15. Get one (or more) before they're gone!

Similar Products Used: Onza Aggro/Honch, Maxxis... somethings, Tioga Famer John/Cousin, Cheng Shin junk
Rick the Stick   Racer [Oct 13, 1999]
Strength:

Hooks up well around corners in most conditions. Killer Front tire. CHEAP

Don't even think about using this on the rear. Soft compound so keep it away from hardpack.

You will love this tire on the front in anything but hardpack. Corners like it is it's JOB. They are hard to find so grab them when you can. ONZA is a good company support them!!

Similar Products Used: Tons of Treads
Brian Banna   Weekend Warrior [Jun 24, 1999]
Strength:

Soft compound tire
Great for rock climbing
Great for hill climbing
Light weight with Kevlar bead

Soft compound wears faster
Very difficult to locate and purchase

Bar non, the best climbing tire I have eer used. For slick rock, lower the pressure a couple pounds under what you would
normally run on the trail and the tire grips like a primo pair of rock climbing shoes. Because of the nature of the park I
was riding in, the tire would not last very long. Oh it held up great under the conditions, but would wear out pretty
fast. I did not find that a real issue though because the cost of the tire was very reasonable. I highly recommend the
Onza Porcupine for any serious hill climbers and rock hoppers. THe nubs really grip the rocks.