Onza Aggro/Honch Older Tires

Aggro/Honch

Aggro/Honch Kevlar

Erik   Cross Country Rider [Jul 24, 2001]
Strength:

Great traction, lightweight

some batches had "detachable knobs"

Man, oh, man! I sure wish somebody would reissue this tread pattern because both these tires were great! The Aggro is just the best front tire I've ever ridden and the Honch was a great rear tire. When OnZa ran into trouble, I glommed onto as many of these as I could...and now I've run out.

The thing about the knobs was true sometimes: one or more of the batches were made a little thin (for weight) and the damn knobs would come off of them under hard cornering or rocky trails. Ahh, but to have the good ones was mtb heaven.

Ashwin Amanna   Norba Racer [Mar 28, 1996]

I had an Aggro, and my fiance had a Honch. On both tires the knobs started to rip off after only a month or two. Hers has practically disintegrated and I threw out mine long ago. The rip and rail are constructed MUCH better.

J. Daniel   cross-country rider [Apr 03, 1996]

Heavy, terrible in loooose conditions. They pack up with mud and nothing short of a screwdriver can clean them out. And worst of all the knobs seperate from the casing. Don't waste money on tires that don't hold up. I only regret having wasted mine. I'll probably never use another Onza product again.

Howard   [Feb 29, 1996]

I am currently using the Honch rear tire with a Specialized Team Control on the front. This combo works great. The Honch hooks up fantastic on climbs and corners well - breaking loose just before the front.
The Honch seems to last longer than the Specialized Team Master I used previously.

john limbaugh   racer [Jan 22, 1997]

the aggro is an execellent front tire, though a bit heavy. it has a harder rubber compound than most. lay the front of the bike into a corner and it
grips like none i've seen

John Ray   weekend warrior [Jan 22, 1997]

Fairly ordinary performance for both the Aggro and the Honch, but the construction is poor particularly on the Aggro. I managed to rip a side lug off the case on the very first ride and within 100km I had 42 lugs flapping or missing.They gave me new one but I would have been happier with a Farmer John (now there was a tire you couldn't trash.... you coudn't climb, corner or accelerate but hey!) The Honch lasted a little better but a mate killed one within 200km with lugs torn off and carcase frayed.

Ian Longstreet   racer [Jan 13, 1997]

I can't believe that everyone is ragging on these tires. These are great handlers in dry weather. They tend to suit a fast technically sound rider. The only tires I think are better than these are IRC Missles. The Honch wears kind of quicky, but it took my four months of hardcore downhilling to break off a knob, The Aggro is a capable front tire with low rolling resistance and excellent wear. My only problem with these is that the Aggro isn't aggresive enough for my liking. Hey, rear tires are supposed to wear out. Live with it!
The honch on the rear works well with an IRC Missle on the front for downhilling.

John   cross-country rider [Jan 16, 1997]

Such poor wear; less than 200 miles and the knobs ripped off to the bead. Too bad they are such poor quality as I liked the feel and grab of these tires on loose Pikes Peak gravel.

Brian   Cross-Country Rider [Jun 23, 1999]
Strength:

fairly good grip

Knobs fall off

These tires worked fairly good until the knobs fell off after only two months of hard trail riding. First one started to go and then dozens of knobs on both sides. I would recommend WTB or IRC to anyone over these. My IRCs lasted for a long time. I'd give it 0 stars if I could.