Continental Montana Older Tires

Continental Montana Older Tires

Continental Montana

[Aug 19, 2006]
Christopher Beech

Strength:

shedding sticky mud, straight line traction

computer programming, road

I was amazed at how well this tire cleaned itself. We have some pretty adhesive clay mud around here and the Montana never packed up. I was running a Nevegal on the front and the Conti was always much cleaner. Of course I am using this as a rear tire - I don't think it would be so good on the front. I found the wide paddle shaped knobs did a good job hooking up in soft dirt on climbs. The tire is getting worn out now and I wouldn't mind finding another one to replace it. OK for hardpack and OK for cornering but really good on traction in soft stuff and mud shedding.

[Oct 21, 2000]
jeremy atkinson

Strength:

cheap.very good on overgrazed grass [uk farming subsidies], not as grippy as a geax blade but wears better, clears wet mud well

not much good on the front

a surprisingly good tire for sheep ravaged wet welsh hills chorus -'land of my fathers'

blades , cross countrys, teams

[Mar 02, 2000]
Bob

Strength:

Sticks OK in dirt

Punctures WAY too easily; braking was too soft no matter what direction I mounted the tire. Never (ever) use for commute bike.

Had a Montana in rear for daily urban commute through last years warm months--tire was recommended by my bike shop probably in error. Raptor in front had zero flats over this time period; with or without kevlar flat-prevention strip and tire goo the Montana caught a flat almost every week--I spent more on patch kits and tubes than I did on the tire. Tire death came as a result of a messy sidewall blowout on a quiet ride through a cemetery, leading me to wonder how long the shop had this tire on the shelf before selling it to me last May. Ride at recommended PSI of ~55 was ultra smooth, compared to noisy Raptor tho. Raptor accelerated faster, but not as sweet of a takeoff from full-stop as the new Geax Hook/Warp combo I put on today--will give an opinion on that rig after a few months on road and off. 2 chilis because I like Continental road bike tires and I'm sure that they wouldn't sell a tire without any redeeming qualities--I must have just missed the good stuff somewhere along the line. Am i just too hard on my tires?

WTB Primal Raptors

[Jun 01, 1999]
Jim Hesketh

Strength:

Sticky compound

loose sand

Good, No great tire for hardpack, mud and semi loose earth. These tires stick. I have montanas on back and atlantas on front. Much better then the raptors.

velociraptors