Continental Goliath Older Tires

Goliath

Continental Goliath

zabi   Cross Country Rider [May 08, 2008]
Strength:

3 years on this tires!!! great ! i recommend for all people which they drive on asphalt and low terrain!

:p

Keith   [Feb 21, 2002]
Strength:

Very good construction. Excellent quality.

This tire performs horribly on wet surfaces. I had my front tire sliding out on almost every corner when the streets are wet. REALLY REALLY NEEDS IMPROVEMENT FOR WET SURFACE RIDING.

Good for dry surfaces. Good construction. Don't EVEN think about this tire if you're on the slightest of wet pavements. YOU WILL BE LET DOWN.

Similar Products Used: Trek Invert 2.. used for 10+ years for commuting. Excellent wet/dry road & packed trail riding. (I dumped the Goliaths and went back to these)
Gazzr   Weekend Warrior [Sep 10, 2002]
Strength:

Excellent rolling ability.
The tires are very skinny at 1.6 and are brilliant on the road.

Seem long wearing.
I've used these for commuting mostly but have also taken them on the local track and it hasn't worn at all. It takes the ruff rocky hard stuff well.

Grip well.
It slides on the slick area but once it hits the knobs if leaning the tire pulls up well. I've only used the tire on the rear.

The tire slides a lot on up-hill dirt stretches.

Brilliant, if you need quick rolling tires that can handle lite dirt. Great for communting and a good way to save your knobly from being unecessarily eaten up by the bitumen.

Similar Products Used: none
Gordon Farkas   Racer [Mar 02, 2001]
Strength:

fast at max pressure
loooooooooooong wearing
dark sidewall stays looking good when exposed to grease and liquid debris
good straight line grip

crap cornering - transition from slik to knobs is way too sudden/unpredictable
could be lighter

tough tyre, durable, fairly fast - BIG lack of confidence in cornering

Similar Products Used: IRC metro
conti MTB GP
Chad Therrien   Cross Country Rider [Nov 25, 2000]
Strength:

Awesome on dry roads.
Adequate on medium and hard pack.
Long wearing.

Sketchy in the wet.
Sinks in the soft stuff.
Susceptible to road hazards.

I got these tires in the heat of the summer and at that time I was able to ride to work and around Davis very effectively. These tires allowed me to take corners at speed and in a full-lean, with some very predictable sliding action.

I was even quite confident tearing across some maintained dirt roads around campus. Only when the dreaded 'punture vines' became productive did I run into a problem. This tire is made to be fairly light and run at high-pressure.

The punture vines gave me flats daily until I was introduced to Green Slime. Without this material, I would not have been able to ride these tires through the fall in the places I go.

I do take some off-road excursions and the road hazards there can include broken glass and 1" puncture vine spikes. But once I had slimed up my tubes, all I needed to do was pluck out the offending spike and continue riding. The Slime would seal the tire as I rode.

I've also taken this tire up a very long and winding canyon. It is a paved road that is often single-lane. It climbs 2300' during a 5 mile ride. On the return trip down, I kept the bike in the big ring and pumped until I was at top speed. These tires instilled great confidence at speed and allowed me to lay the bike right down for cornering.

I was very impressed with the consistency of the grip through a turn. In the rain however, this can leave one scrambling for control. I took a flat 90º turn in the wet that normally wouldn't have been too hairy, but there was an invisible metal panel on the road and for 3', the front and rear slid like on ice. Once back on the pavement all was well, but for a moment it reminded me of ice-riding back in the Canadian winters.

I would say the 'aggressive' part of the tire: the knobs on the sidewall, are too far up to provide any increased traction in the soft, except in extreme situations. I rode my bike over a ledge, rolling pretty fast, but missing the path. As I turned sharply back up the incline to maintain my course, I was glad for the sidewall knobs. But other than that one instance, they are largely untouched.

This causes them to sink up to the sidewalls on any soft material. I often cut through a redwood grove with very soft underbrush. While I am there, control is minimal and climbing is impossible.

Similar Products Used: None.
Andrew Wright   Cross Country Rider [Oct 31, 2000]
Strength:

Much faster than my knobbies, on and off road

Slide out on loose stuff off road
Can't grip adequately going sideways to slopes off road
Sketchy cornering at speed (round 25 mph) on road

I bought semislicks instead of full slicks because I was a little nervous to go to a full slick, having never ridden one before, but I wasn't getting in any offroading and wanted the lower rolling resistance. I had some free time at school one day so I ditched my bags, let a lot of air of the tires (I was riding them at 75 psi for streets) and did some fire roads, and they performed pretty well. I later tried running a Goliath on my rear and a knobby on the front and doing some more difficult singletrack and my rear wheel didn't stay under me very well. I'm selling them to my housemate later today because I just bought a set of 1" slicks, but they're a really excellent tire. He wants them so he can do his commute (same as mine) and some light off-roading without changing tires the way I do. If you want them for commuting and off-roading both, they're an excellent tire unless you want to do some singletrack or sand or mud, but those want a real knobby anyway.

Excellent tire. Very fast rolling and versatile. Of course it's a compromise, but that's what semi-slick means, right?

Similar Products Used: IRC Mythos XC
Tom M.   [Aug 03, 2000]
Strength:

Smooth, silent, comfortable road riding; good construction.

Probably not what you want for serious riding in the rough. But hey, it's a semislick so it does what it's supposed to.

I recently purchased sets of Specialized Topo
Semislicks and Continental Goliaths; this is both a
general review my experience with the Goliaths as well
as a direct comparison between the two.

Most of my riding is commuting on roads and developed
bike paths, with some recreational trail riding on the
hard packed and/or sandy paths on the bluffs between my
house and the beach. I was interested in replacing my
knobbies with semi-slicks to improve my commuting
performance without giving up traction on my short,
enjoyable trail rides.

Initially I tried the Topo Semislicks for a couple of
weeks. They were not bad, but their large side knobs
did not inspire confidence when cornering on pavement;
I found the transition between the slick area and the
knobs to be abrupt and disconcerting. In the dirt they
were great. Overall, I found these to be good tires,
but not quite what I was looking form.

I then switched to the Goliaths. Much better!
Smoother ride on the asphalt, perhaps not as great a
grip in the dirt as the Topos, but overall much better
for my purposes. They are an absolute pleasure to ride
on the road, and provide plenty of control for my dirt
usage. Keep them inflated to 60 Lbs. for the
smoothest, most silent of rides.

As far as I am concerned, the Goliaths are the answer.
I will buy them again if these ever wear out, which
looks to be a long time from now based on their
construction. No flats so far either. This is the
best $55 enhancement I've made to my bike.

Similar Products Used: Performance Topo Semislick
Mike Poplawski   Weekend Warrior [Nov 24, 1999]

You pay for reliability and durability with weight.

These tires were exactly what I needed at the time-a solid foundation for commuting. I rarely flatted or skidded in the wet. If you are limited to a mountain bike for commuting, consider these tires--your ride will be smooth and comfortable, and you will still have enough grip for dry trails.

Kinny   Cross-Country Rider [Jun 04, 1999]
Strength:

Very low rolling resistance
Whisper quiet
Fair traction off-road

Stiff side-walls - need low pressures off road
Low grip on road - rear end breaks too easy on lock-up - caused a major crash!

The Goliath is way more value-for-money than the Speedmax I used before - though it is less capable off-road. However it is better on-road - until you reach the limit of adhesion - or when you lock a wheel & the rear end breaks far too quickly - which was what caused my huge crash!
There is also less grip off-road, traction is a problem with any mud - but still surprisingly good considering it's basically a slick.
I think I'd buy it again for it's excellent on-road ability - that it is whisper quiet!
It also looks like being very long-lasting, after 1500km my Speedmax was destroyed but the Goliath looks like it can go 3000km without any problems.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey Speedmax on front & Goliath was bought to replace Speedmax on rear
Moegsien Schroeder   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 1999]
Strength:

Low rolling resistance. Good on road handling.

Very little grip off-road. Slippery downhill.

Great for road races but I would not recommend it for off-road racing. The tires just slide out from under you way too easily { takes all the fun out of riding }.