Continental Comp Pro Tire Older Tires

Comp Pro Tire

Comp Pro 1

Groundoggy   Cross Country Rider [Apr 03, 2013]
Strength:

Durability, grip, loose rock performance, wet/rooty traction, mud shedding ability.

High rolling resistance and weight. Not a race tire but it has hella traction.

Bought a NOS pair of the Competition 1's with the wire bead and amber wall just because they were a decent value.Hadn't tried them before but have always liked the Conti's I've ran before. Really wasn't expecting that much - seemed kind of simple to me with the big chevronish tread block in the middle. Two rows of side blocks help complete a scoop pattern and add grip on the edge.

After riding them for a year I am impressed. I have the tread pattern reversed on the front and this set up yields excellent climbing ability and traction in the rear and an aggressive, grippy front tire that doesn't wash out in mud or loose rock turns.

Obviously they haven't made these in years but if you come a cross a set they are definitely worth a try.

Similar Products Used: Tioga Psycho, Panaracer Smoke/Dart, Conti XC Pro/Leader Pro
digitalkreation   Weekend Warrior [Apr 04, 2009]
Strength:

The Continental Competition Pro 1 & 2 tires are by far the best tires I've ridden. They excel in the mud and sand, but are also just as good on singletrack, rocks, roots, etc.

They are a bit on the heavy side, but if you want something that works on the East-Coast terrain, and doesn't fail, there is always a small price to pay.

Unfortunately, these aren't manufactured anymore, but you can still find some every now and then. Amazing value for the money, and you can't purchase better tires in my opinion. Just look at the ratings below! Overwhelmingly positive!

Similar Products Used: Panaracer Dart & Smoke.
Adam   Weekend Warrior [Apr 30, 2006]
Strength:

Everything

not made any more

This tire has way more traction than any tire i ever tried.

Similar Products Used: none this good
riley   cross-country rider [Nov 01, 1997]

the comp 1 is great in the rear, haven't tried them much in the front. the comp 2 works well there, but is really not too great unless you're in a lot of sand. paired up with the old 2.2 sc dart, the comp 1 is 1/2 of my favorite combo.

aaron lloyd   racer [Jan 20, 1997]

I have been using the comp pro1 for half a racing season. This tire works
really well in the back. The big tracks never felf skiddish, and they never
spun out, even on wet logs. This tire is great, and I have done alot of
riding on this this tire and it has not worn down yet.

seth   cross-country rider [Jan 13, 1997]

Excellant tire...I was having problems with mud build-up on my IRC Piranha-Pro and got a Conti for my rear tire. I haven't had a problem since. Excellant traction, it scrambles through everything I have thrown at it here in Vermont (snow, mud, hardpack, wet maple leaves). The lower profile on the knobs also allows this tire to spin much faster than my old P-Pro.

Michael Streeter   weekend warrior [Jan 02, 1997]

Competition Pro 1's are the best tyres I have ever used. The're larger cross section gives them excellent shock absorbtion (at 35psi) and they corner, climb and brake well. They are a confidence inspiring tyre because I always know how they are going to react to my cornering and braking input.If there is a down side to this tyre, it is that they are very hard to fit and require quite a bit of leverage on the tyre lever to remove (wire beaded tyres). I have not tried the kevlar version so they may be simpler.My only problem now is that I can't find another set in any bike shop in my home town.

Jim Roselle   Cross Country Rider [Jan 14, 2001]
Strength:

icreadible climbing/cornering traction, wear like iron.

steel beads tough to mount although kevlar is no problen, very hard to find.

If you ride in loose, rocky conditions buy these tires! Climbing and cornering traction are unparalelled. The fact that wears half as long is a great bonus. I can tear knobs off Ritchey or Specialized in less than 100 miles, I've ridden Conti's over 700 miles with no torn knobs and no cords showing through.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey, Specialized, Tioga, WTB.
Scotty   Cross Country Rider [Apr 19, 2000]
Strength:

amazing traction, predictable handling, rolls better than what I was used to before

Had to spend another $35 to get a new front tire that would hold as well as the rear.

I was a little intimidated by the tread pattern at first but after my first ride i was so impressed with this tire. I ride everything on my way to work (hard/soft pack, technical climbs & descents, stairs, rocks,logs, and on..) and this tire just rocks. So for no more pinch flats. Holds its own on the technical 'Shore trails too. Made me realize just how lousy my previous tire (gravy) was. Replaced Lumpy with a tioga factory DH to get the full holding potential for front & rear. GREAT COMBO!! Get one if you can