Bontrager Revolt ST Tires Older Tires

Revolt ST Tires

Bontrager Revolt ST Tires

Bill D.   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 18, 1999]
Strength:

Light, fast, good durable tire

sloppy in sand

These tires have cause my heart rate to climb a couple of times in a split second. They get real squirrelly in the sand. I feel they climb all right on the harder stuff, and they are scarry fast on the hard packed, but the loss of control in the sand is just too much. Anybody have any suggestions on a good replacement? Got to stay fast, though

Similar Products Used: Tioga Psycho
rich   Racer [Jul 16, 1999]
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, reasonably low weight, good hardpack performance, better flat resistance

could be lighter like Conti's, not for loose (front scary, rear braking just adequate) or mud (become heavy slicks)

I like these semi-knobby tires for many racing situations, when not too technical, wet, or loose. Seem to have low rolling resistance, better pinch-flat resistance than last year's Revolt SS model. Require some care when pushing the limits in technical/loose terrain but if the racecourse is largely hardpack they work for me. They do what they are supposed to do. They are an excellent compromise tire, with better handling in technical terrain than a true semi-slick but not as low rolling resistance, worse handling in extreme conditions than a knobby, but roll better. Suitable for more situations than most tires I'd race with.

Similar Products Used: Revolt SS (more slick)
Mythos (really a knobby)
Panaracer Dusterpros (knobby)
Michelin Wildgripper (knobby)
Jim Cummins   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 05, 1999]
Strength:

FAST, FAST, FAST

A little loose on off-camber corners.

I am 6'3 and 190 lbs. and have been using the ST front and the SS rear for one full year now. I absolutely love these tires. Several reviewers claim this tire doesn't corner. I would agree with this under certain conditions only. The ST does tend to be a little sketchy on off-camber corners and/or on slow technical turns. However, when cornering at speed, all the rider needs to do is get agressive and lean. The side knobs bite as well as any tire out there. Bottom line is the Revolts are FAST. If you're into going fast, and can ride aggressively, these are the tires for you. I give them 5 chili's, because they do everything they claim they can do.

Jim   cross-country rider [Sep 23, 1998]

I have the Revolt ST2's. They were original equipment on my new bike. These tires work very well. I've used them on fire roads, smooth single track, rocky/rooty/nasty single track, and the steeps (up and down). For me, the only type of terrain that they aren't super on is steep downhills, particularly those with a loose surface--the relatively short rear knobs tend to lock. You can get around it by careful use of the front brake. I'll give them five chilis since they work so much better than the last set of tires I used for an extended time (velociraptors).

Chris   racer [Jul 18, 1997]

ran the pair for the first time at a race in june. noticed immediately that the front cornered in a very sketchy manner. the edge is kinda abrupt and the profile not as round as i'd like. in a straight line they're as fast as all heck and the rear hooked up better on the climbs than the Speed Max i had on previously. i threw my old standby (Conti Leader Pro) on the front and have used this in combination with the Revolt ST rear with great success for the last several races.

Kyle   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 09, 2000]
Strength:

Price (found on sale)
Weight

Picks up mud.
Washes out easily on gravel.

For commuting I would prefer a slick, but for an all around tire this one is great. This is probably not a good tire for those of you who push the envelope everywhere they go. They will wash on gravel. And will pick up mud, especially the front. And will tend to hold on to said mud for a while. (Just had to climb a hill today with a couple of extra pounds of mud, and did not loose it until I came bouncing back down.)For those of you who are like me, and use their bike for commuting and exercise, and who are lazy enough not to want to change tires to ride trails, these tires are a great mix. They don't roll as smooth as slicks, but they are TONS better on trails. Compared to full knobbies, ST's roll a lot better on pavement, but do not completely eliminate road noise. On just about everything else (exempting gravel) I have a hard time telling the difference between the ST and a knobbie.Don't buy these expecting knobbie performance. But if you want a tire that is good (not perfect) on 90% of the surfaces out there go with the ST'sThey do what I wanted them to do. Five flaming dead flamingos

Similar Products Used: Continental Goliath (slick)
Assorted other knobbies on other bikes
Neil   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 03, 1999]
Strength:

Very little rolling resistence and good grip in hardpack turns.

Not great in the loose stuff

I was running the Dirt Baldy's initially, until some very hard falls in the sands of the Cottonwood Valley outside of Las Vegas. I switched to the Revolt ST's and the grip immediately improved (though if I was in Wilder Ranch I would run the Baldy's). They do get nervous in the sand, but very few tires I have run are great in the sand. They do slip a little in the loose turns and going up loose gravel takes a bit of getting used to. BUT the speed they travel at on the flats and rolling hills was awesome, so I will take the minor weaknesses. Hey, this is mountain biking and it would not be fun if there were no challenges!!! And besides, I have yet to find the perfect tire in ALL situations...

Similar Products Used: Specialized Dirt Baldy & Team Control & Master
Thierry   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 06, 1999]
Strength:

Light, good grip at rear

slipery at the front
strange reaction at rear when going downhill: I have them on the opposite direction indication, and works well

Good, but not excellent

Similar Products Used: Rear: WTB primal raptor
Larz   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 04, 1999]
Strength:

lightweight, fast, durable

Slippery in wet and/or loose conditions

I am very pleased with these tires, they rock in dry conditions and are as fast as anything comparable on the market. The drawbacks are that in wet and loose conditions they can be a bit sketchy. They are also great at climbing, but it requires that the rider shifts his/her balance backwards a bit (compared to other tires). Great for general XC, Hooray for bontrager. Four flamin' chilies (take one off for the wet/loose performace)