RockShox Shox 2000 SID Non Adjust Older Rear Shocks

Shox 2000 SID Non Adjust

Rock Shox 2000 SID Non Adjust

Steve   Downhiller [Dec 10, 2001]
Strength:

Um... It's good for little kids

I've had it for a long time on my FSR, and I never really like it. I weigh 150 pounds, and make the shock as hard as it can get, but it still bottomed out over four foot drops. It's too cross country. No adjustability. I'm trading my piece of crap FSR for a Bullit with a Fox Vanilla RC.

I don't like it. Bad travel quality, doesn't hold air, no adjustability. Get a coil shock!

Similar Products Used: Fox Vanilla R, Fox Vanilla RC, Fox Float
Randy Lieberg   Weekend Warrior [Feb 25, 2002]
Strength:

REVIEW UPDATE
I have ridden this shock for about a year now. It has held up fairly well, with a winter of subzero weather and a summer of learning to do drops. I weigh 190+ and ride hard, and the seals seem fine. Rebound control would be nice.

No adjustability (except adding air), not the best for big hits (quick ramp-up). Air shock stiction and high pressure for my fat arse means it takes a bit of a hit to get the shock to begin its travel. I also have a hard time getting enough air in to dial in the I-drive system.

After riding for a year I honestly cannot say this is a bad shock. Since I am getting into more trialsy/urban/freeride type riding, I may try a Stratos Air/Coil. I feel that the SID is not suited for my riding style, and I have been lucky with it so far. I am convinced that if I keep using it for drops and jumps that I will tweak it or blow it up, so it is headed to the parts bin as a backup.

Similar Products Used: SID Dual Air w/ rebound control, Fox Vanilla Air, Stratos Air, RS CoupeDeluxe (ugh), other low end coil shocks.
Sean   Weekend Warrior [Feb 09, 2002]
Strength:

NONE

the Shock

I really dont like this shock the seals sux, all of the manuals are inacurate, I only weigh 150 and im on my second shock, I still have not recieved the right pressure settings for the shock, I will never buy another product from rock shck, and there support is the worst.

Randy Lieberg   Weekend Warrior [Mar 28, 2001]
Strength:

weight, negative chamber, travel, looks

touchy adjustabiity, loses pressure, scary reviews on this site. I wish I had a chance to get the adjustable rebound model, but that's not the shock's fault!

I first tried the 99' XCR-3000 with a RS Deluxe coil shock a year ago. I hated it - it felt loose and heavy (both the bike & the shock). Then I hopped on a 2000 model XCR-3000 with the SID air. What a difference. I loved the GT with the air, and matched up to the smooth Hydracoil Judy it seemed a sure sell. I also liked the idea of the negative spring because I was used to my other bike's Judy with Englund airs, thus the love of the air "feel".

Since I got the bike at Christmas, I've only gotten to use it in the winter. This being said, the seals have held up surprisingly well. I weigh 190, and like to practice on drops & urban obstacles. So far I love the performance of the shock - the air is smooth and supple. However, it will remain to be seen how it performs in the summer, when I have a chance to put it through its paces. I have heard horror stories of the SID blowing seals on long downhills, and that air shocks tend to ramp up pretty quickly. I suppose if I back off the pressure in the negative chamber it may help cut ramp-up.

Overall I like the shock. Its feel complements the Judy nicely and suits how I like my bike to feel (that's the point, right?). I will submit a followup review in August after a few months of warmer weather riding.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Deluxe coil over, Fox Air Vanilla
reini   Cross Country Rider [Nov 14, 2000]
Strength:

great on my schwinn rocket 88 stage 3 because i am only fifteen and weigh 110 pounds. can be easily adjusted for weight with the dual air system. i have it at 100 psi in the main chamber and 120 psi in the secondary chamber. it is super soft and plush!

my bike has a no bob feature on it that helps when climbing and pedaling, and it makes this shock feel like butter when going downhill. it is easily adjustable and works well when wet and cold. easier to clean mud off of than a coil and is very smooth.

Similar Products Used: fox float
Dan   Cross Country Rider [Sep 04, 2000]
Strength:

light

just does not work as well as a fox
putting in air is a hassle

Not as good as a fox, the fox is much more reactive to small bumps

Similar Products Used: Fox air float r
Bob Higgins   Weekend Warrior [Jul 24, 2000]
Strength:

Nice when it works...

Blown 4 of them in 4 months, lousy support, zero customer service

With the Giant NRS system I have no choice, it is dependent on an independently adjustable negative chamber to achieve its designed performance (280lbs pos, 50lbs neg)

This shock sucks! (because it doesn't last 30 days), and the company sucks more! (because they won't do anything about it)

Maybe if someone from Rock Shox reads this they might contact me and tell me what they are doing so that I can ride the bike I spent $3500 on!

Similar Products Used: none
Jono   Weekend Warrior [Apr 03, 2003]
Strength:

Doesn't sag when climbing. Light.

Started leaking air from positive to negative chamber. Takes a long time to find a nice balance of air between neg and positive chamber (i've had it for 3 years and still tweaking).

I have ridden with this shock for 3 years, on two frames (first giant frame snapped in 2 places, replaced on warranty thankfully) and up until now have been fairly happy with it.

However, it has started leaking internally from the positive to negative air chamber. This is extremely frustrating as you lose your firmness in the shock and it eventually starts bottoming out and if not pumped back up it will be unridable. It is the seals failing that casues this.

So I have sent it in for a service (costing min. $80 US) to have seals replaced which is supposed to be done every year. I wouldnt have bought the bike if i knew the rear shock would need replacement seals anuually.

On the rock shox frequently asked questions page on their website it has the following FAQ:

"When I inflate my SID shock, the air pressure decreases quickly, and increases in the negative chamber. What's the deal?
The most likely cause of this problem is air bypass due to worn seals (O-rings) in your main air chamber. You will need to replace and lubricate the main piston seals with a SID O-ring Service Kit from your local dealer. This is a regular maintenance that your DUAL AIR fork and rear shock requires.
See the 2002 Spare Parts Catalogs and 2002 Dual Air Service Guide for part numbers and instructions."

A BAD SIGN if you ask me :(

michael jones   Weekend Warrior [Jun 11, 2000]
Strength:

lightweight, plush at the top, stiff at the bottom

no rebound adj, fork out the extra and get it, slowly seems to loose air

feels nice, lacks rebound adj, abit extra money for the rebound adj money would be worth it, you've spent some money on the bike anyway!, if you are at the end of your budget it is still an awsome shock with a very good feel!
buy a high preasure pump to adjust it, its well worth it. A good x country shock