RockShox Shock Rear Sid Older Rear Shocks

RockShox Shock Rear Sid Older Rear Shocks

Rear Sid

[Apr 08, 2011]
lucidmonkey

Strength:

10 years old now. Never blew a seal and doesn't leak air at all.

The included external "O" ring is stretched which happened when new as well. It is just a marker for maximum travel and not important for regular usage Nothing a trip to the car parts store couldn't fix.

Never failed me. Always did it's job...still after TEN years.

[Mar 04, 2002]
Steve

Strength:

Product was on NSR Air and after initial set up and tweeking till it was dead on, I have had no air leaks and shock has performed flawlessly.

For those who love to complain about the little things, then find another sport. When you beat a product up on rocks, hills, logs, etc., there tends to be some type of dent or air leak. Remember, if its man made...then Murphy's Law erupts! Great shock for the dollar, and it performs like a work horse.

[Mar 04, 2002]
Howard

Strength:

Super light weight. Easy to set up. Excellent ride handling characteristics.

Haven't found any yet.

I ride this bike over 1000 miles a year. I have yet to experience the kinds of problems that others are writing about. This shock has performed flawlessly with almost 2000 miles on it. The best part is that I can just set it, and forget it. I have only adjusted the air pressure twice since I've owned the shock. No air leaks. I rebuild my own bikes. The Rockshox fork and rear suspension are the only equipment I recommend to my friends. I really don't understand what the other riders are doing to blow out the seals. I weigh in at 155 pounds on the bathroom scale. I like jumping but I'm not insane on the bike.

NA

[Mar 03, 2002]
kent

Strength:

works well.

havent found any yet.

the thing has worked well so far. i weigh 210 and its been holding me fine.
adjustability is a prob for a while. just make sure you know what you wiegh, and find a manual so you can know what your doing.
it worked better than the cane creek. the cane creek was from a long time ago and there have been changes in the industry.
the sid proved that right.
4 chilis, its still not a coil over.

cane creek ad-4 on a jamis dakar sport '98 stx-rc everything.good bike.

[Oct 29, 2001]
Chad Hicks

Strength:

Light, hasn't broken yet

Leaks air

Why did Trek waste the time and effort adding this shock to this bike. It's pointless... I can't even tell you how this shock performs because I can't tell it's back there. 1 1/4" travel is just not enough to be effective, I should have just bought a hardtail because thats what this bike really is. So far I have not broken it yet, but I have to add air every time I ride. I don't know if this is normal, but it is a pain in the @$$ to have to carry a shock pump everywhere I ride. My SID fork doesn't leak air as bad.
I'm baseing my rating on air leakage and price.

[Jan 28, 2002]
Kevin Lowe

Strength:

Can be fine tuned to meet the daily requirements of the ride.

OK! Certain shocks have incorrect lenth actuators on the car type valves.

I have had dealings with a number of these shocks and there is a problem with the settin up of them. The concern is with the length of the actuator in the car type valve. On some of the shocks this actuato is too long causin air if not all the air in the negative chamber to leak out. I know this for fact as i have changed the valves on shocks that do not hold air with those that do and all the problems are no more. Very good when set up well. No problems with the running of the shock.

Springs

[Jan 14, 2002]
Sam Haskett

Strength:

smooths out the trail like it should.

seal for the negative chamber. Both chambers always leak and you have to fine tune before every ride.

I will not complain like everyone else. But I got the shock warranteed and thats cool except the one they sent has lockout which I wont use because my bike is bobless. No reliability with RShox, everyone has the seals break. Mine too and today my sid fork seals busted. I am trying to go with marzocchi. No loot. I guess I will wait for the customer service folks. Thats crap Im pissed. My rear shock is good now and if it happens again I will go canecreek cloud nine(they make the best wheels ever too)

Hardtail

[Sep 12, 2001]
Vern Ellicott

Strength:

Works well, when it works. Plush, no need for the lockout.

Breaks too easy. It came with my GT i-drive new. Had the bike a month when seals blew out in the shock. It sat in the shop for five weeks while RockShox screwed around. I will never buy another RockShox product again. Their customer service is the worst I have ever experienced.

Don't buy this shock. It will break and the customer service is terrible.

[Sep 24, 2001]
apollo lee

Strength:

It was OK when it worked but now I am looking at buying a coilspring shock, because it is servicable by most dealers unlike these SID you have to wait one month and I cannot accept this.

Expensive piece of junk and not reliable after 6-8 months. I can't believe the magazines pushing this crappy product on us consumers to buy it.

DO NOT BUY ROCK SHOX PRODUCT THEY ARE SCAMMERS

None used hard tail previuosly

[Jul 10, 2001]
alex wheeler

Strength:

light, initially decent ajustability and push enough for my weight.

blew up after less than a 1000 miles...I ride long and hard but not crazy...I weigh 150 and thought it would be fine for me on my new 2001 Marin Wolf Ridge...NOT the rebound dampening broke, internal parts loose...I could of just got a lemon but I had heard of problems with this shock before..it came with the bike and I thought it was fine for me.

I am a long distance junkie and love to go up hill but say no to air go coil and push the weight ya all in the end its worth it...I am selling it as a rebuilt cheap!

coming from a hard tail