Noleen NR-4 Rear Shock Older Rear Shocks

Noleen NR-4 Rear Shock

[Mar 23, 1998]
Lee V. H.
cross-country rider

I can't say that I have tried too many other shocks to compare this one to, but I've ridden a couple bikes equipped with Fox shocks (Kona and Heckler)and whether it was the bike design I dont know, but my KHS with the Noleen NR-4 was the plushest. Although my bike only gets 2.5 inches of travel, its very soft and responsive, and I've had it for almost 2 years and never had a problem with it.

[Mar 21, 1998]
me
cross-country rider

i've recently replaced the nr-4 from noleen with a stratos shock. biiiiiiig difference. I recently found out that about once a year you have to send in all piggyback shocks, no matter what model, made by noleen, to the manufacturer somewhere in New Jersey (i think) so they can rebuild it. this is due to the fact that the air-pressure inside is susceptible to leaking. since this shock uses both air and oil for rebound at such high pressures (800+ psi), the seals have to be super tight, meaning stiction. this also makes the shock more susceptible to leaking air, as i found out cuz i lacked any rebound dampening. so now i have to send it back in before i can sell it. the fact that ONLY Noleen can pump air into this shock sucks, which means maintenance is virtually impossible. noleen should make their products a bit more user friendly. i had to find out the hard way that i was riding around a 2 pound elastomer, cuz it lacked rebound. this shock sucks. check out the helix expert from stratos, it won't disappoint.

[Apr 22, 2001]
James Bywater

Strength:

Good all-round shock, very adjustable.

I have had to replace twice due to oil leaks!

It's good but the NR2 I have has outlasted it. Much more adjustable than the NR2 though. Might be better on a bike which has a bit more travel as the 3" on the proflex doesn't really use the shock to it's full ability.

NR-2 on the front.

[Oct 15, 2000]
KJ Smith

Strength:

So far low maintenance. Compression is good.

Controls are adequate, but could be more sensitive. Not user servicable

I can recommend this shock now. The third one has been the charm(See my previous review from 1999). I did not have good luck with my first two. This one has not leaked any oil(I better run and check it after posting this ). I have had zero problems after more than 500 miles of nothing but dirt, rocks and one skunk. It has even cushioned my body on the Porcupine Rim Trail in Moab. I remember riding that trail a few years ago w/o any suspension. What a difference. PS I found a mechanic at the Kaibab(sp) bike shop in Moab who services this shock cheaper than K2 and offers some customizing options.

Stratos, fox,

[Jun 15, 2000]
Rich

Strength:

Great travel
Smooth as silk

Goofy looking
Not very adjustable

Really smoothed things out for me. Almost had to give up mountain biking because of neck operation,(dumped the hard tail)but this shock saved me. I love to ride hard and fast over the ruff stuff and my weight is 159lbs. No problems yet.

First full suspension

[Apr 23, 2000]
Craig

I've heard a lot of bad press concerning the NR-4... Mine has held up to a hell of a lot of thrashing and hasnt given me any trouble... I have had a lizard skin on it since day one, which is a good idea for anyone... The compression dampening is great, as are the bottom out bumpers, although I believe I have only hit them once or twice... I wish the rebound control was a little more effective, more towards the slower range, but that is a nit-pick at best....

[Apr 25, 2000]
jacob
Downhiller

Strength:

Great adjustability, and it takes BIG hits well. Also tracks nicely

No problems. I've raced in it, i've rode some sick drop-offs, and i've ridden almost every day for the last 2 summers. I couldnt ask for more in a rear shock. My suggestion is, to buy a lizard skin for it. Grit gets on the shaft and i get worried... Otherwise its perfect the way it is. P.s. Check out my website if you want to see it! hehe http://homestead.juno.com/mak90_1

NR-2, rst-22

[Apr 15, 2000]
Tyler

Strength:

pretty much everything about it

Seems to squeak quite often

I think this is an awesome shock for my needs... I've put some nasty abuse on this shock... no leaks yet, seems from the reviews that there are a lot of NR-4 lemons out there. Mine is great though, so since I have yet to come across problems it gets the best rating from me.

nothing... this is my first FS bike setup

[Mar 31, 2000]
P.D. Nick
Downhiller

Strength:

Stiff, great dampening, easy to maintain

not everyone can use it.

This shock is from my old frame so obviously I don't use it no more. The is a great rear shock for a beginning freerider. It's easy to maintain, give great amount of travel, always damp. It was almost depressing to give it up.

Fox Vanilla RC, Vanilla R, Vanilla T, Sratos Helix.

[Nov 18, 1999]
Bill
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

everything

none that I have found

I have put over 600 hard and rough miles on this bike since I bought it. I love the rear shock! I don't know if Noleen got the leaks under control or what, I haven't had the slightest problem with mine.

all Noleen's NRs