Fox Shox DHX Air 5.0 Older Rear Shocks

• Adjustable bottom-out resistance
  • Adjustable air spring pressure
  • Rebound adjust

arran   Downhiller [Jul 13, 2008]
Strength:

very tuneable everyone wants that racer set up

a weak link in what could be a great chain. air seal the weight of the rubber

the shock felt amazing for around half an hour then slowly my travel faded away till the bike was in the squat position looked like a low rider rig, but wen ur new bike has to be pushed home its a real p1ss take as these things arnt cheap.

mojo will send it back this week and ill post a new review as this thing felt awsome before disaster struck and im a hard line coil boy. the bike was £1800 due to the 08 range arrived so its not too bad great bike for the money

Similar Products Used: curnuttrocco van r van rc
David   Weekend Warrior [Aug 13, 2007]
Strength:

Great plushness
Light
Climbs well
Lots of settings to tweak out on

Lots of settings to tweak out on...

Must have been lucky and gotten one without the stick down issues. I have had 0 problems with this shock. I just recently had it serviced and it runs great.

I am always fiddling with it though to get the "right" feel. Not that it feels bad. I just always think I can somehow find the magic setting.

It rails plain and simple. Sometimes it bottoms only when I do something out of the ordinary though. I like the mid stroke. Kind of reminds me of my PUSHed Float. Doesn't bob, just hangs out.

Similar Products Used: 5th coil, fox float, PUSHed Fox Float
Victor   Weekend Warrior [Aug 08, 2007]
Strength:

- incredible adjustablity
- great ride
- looks sharp
- reasonable price
- light weight

- it keeps leaking oil!!!

What's good:
1) This shock has a great feel, and the ability to set it up for XC one day, and freeride the next, is a definite bonus.
2) The Propedal adjustment is quite effective, and it can really be fine tuned for the conditions the bike is being ridden in.
3) The bottom out adjust is pretty straight forward, and is effective when used in conjunction with a proper air setting in the midrange compression chamber
4) The rebound setting is easy to use, and seems reasonably effective
5) This shock is incredibly light!

What's not so good:
1) The mid range compression (the smaller air chamber) is a bit of a nuisance to fine tune, especially if you don't have a high zoot air pump. It's not impossible, it just takes practice. The problem is that not enough pressure will result in the shock easily bottoming out. Note that there is a minimum pressure that must be used when the bottom out resistance is set at maximum.
2) The bloody thing keeps leaking oil out of a small port at the top of the shock, close to the Propedal knob. My shock is now on it's THIRD trip in for warranty repairs in THREE months or so, for the same problem. I am hoping that this will fix it, because it is getting real old, real fast. I haven't done anything horrendous to it, either. Some typical XC riding, along with some light urban freeride. The shock has been set up within guidelnes. The most bizarre part is that it seems to handle the freeride without any problems, but an hour or two of XC sends it into spasms.

My conclusion about this product:
The concept is good. The adjustablity is great. The ride is excellent. The price is pretty reasonable. The durability, on the other hand, is another issue. Maybe this is a just a fluke. If this third repair does the trick, fine. If it doesn't, I will raise a ruckus and bother Fox until they refund my money, or replace my shock.

My rating for the shock right now?

Value: 2 flaming whatevers. No matter how inexpensive something is, if it keeps breaking, it has little value

Overall rating: Again, 2 flaming whatevers. If I have to keep shipping the shock back for warranty, then it doesn't matter how well it rides when it functions properly - it still isn't all that great.

Similar Products Used: - Fox Vanilla Propedal R
- Rock Shox Deluxe
- Fox Vanilla RC
Ken Bennett   Downhiller [Aug 03, 2007]
Strength:

Lightweight, fully adjustable

Durability issues

This is actually a follow up to my earlier review of this same shock. I've had a few more months of riding on the shock now including 4 days of DH runs at Sunrise Resort. It's been through high heat, cold, mud, sand and rain. So far it's working great, no problems at all. I talked to a few other guys I ride with and they've all had similar stuck shock issues over the years. The problem seems to be temperature related (going from warm to cold) but we're not sure. Since coming back from Fox mine is working better than it did before so maybe there is an internal problem. I do have to give credit to Fox for getting the shock back very fast (less than a week!)and no hassles. I'm bumping my rating way up but not quite a 5 since there's always that little bit of worry that it's going to leave me stranded again.

Similar Products Used: Fox coil shocks, Romic
Tony   Weekend Warrior [Jul 12, 2007]
Strength:

Lot's of adjustment options. Handles both big and small bumps well.

Defective when new. The Propedal doesn't seem to do much, but maybe I don't have it set up right yet (140 PSI in the reservoir).

The shock leaked oil (main slider seal) and air from day one.
I was told that maybe it just needed to break in. But after riding with it for 3 months, then having to pump up the shock on the trail just to support my weight (good thing I had a shock pump), I finally gave up and sent it back to Fox for a rebuild. It came back with a note on the tag that said "wide @ body". What the heck does that mean? I'm really disappointed in Fox for shipping something out in this condition. After the rebuild, it seems to still seep a little oil, but I don't know how much is "normal". Hopefully I won't have to send it back again.

Similar Products Used: Fox Vanilla, Stratos Helix Pro
Andy   Weekend Warrior [Jun 29, 2007]
Strength:

Light, super adjustable, easy to set up

Break in period is a little long but that's probably a good thing in the long run

This is the best, most supple shock I have ever had the pleasure of owning. My first 5 rides or so were a little frustrating as I just could not get this thing to work like I wanted. Since then, it's broken in nicely. BTW, I'm 205 lbs - I run about 225 psi with bottom out adjust set 2 clicks to minus from center and rebound adjust set 1 click positive (more damping) from center.

Similar Products Used: You name it, I've tried it.
John   Downhiller [Apr 29, 2007]
Strength:

Light, good off the shelf, once custom tuned it rocks.

Without being custom tuned it blows through mid travel.

This is a good shock off the shelf, once you get it custom tuned to your riding style it rocks. I was destroying bearings on my Vp on tracks with lots of square edge hits, once tuned there has been no bearing replacements yet!

Owened 3 on 3 different bikes (RM Switch, SC Nomad, SC VP), and I ride hard. My air rear has survived, 1 week in France, 1 week in Spain, 3 to 5 days riding a week, and around 14 days riding down Fort Bill in the UK @ 6 to 8 runs a day.

I have never had one get stuck down, must be lucky so far.

Similar Products Used: DHx 5.0 coil, Ave Woodie
Ken Bennett   Downhiller [Apr 26, 2007]
Strength:

Light, responsive, very adjustable.

Durability issues still exist, shock is stuck down after less than 3 mos. use.

This shock has been very good up until today when it stuck down and stranded me at the top of Mt. Elden in Flagstaff. What you may not realize is that when the shock is stuck down the rear tire may actually hit the seat tube which prevents you from even riding slowly. There was no warning of an impending problem either. I know there is a review from '06 on here that says this problem was caused by bad seals and had been corrected but that is obviously not the case. Now I don't know if I trust this shock at all, especially if I'm going out of town to ride.Fox, you need to either stop making this shock/correct the problem/ or lower the price significantly to offset the reliability issue. I wouldn't feel so bad getting shafted by a crappy product if I hadn't spent a lot of cash on it.I'm giving a 1 chili rating mainly due to the fact that this problem has been going on for over a year and nothing has changed.

Similar Products Used: Various Fox coil shocks
Phil   Weekend Warrior [Apr 10, 2007]
Strength:

everything. lighter than a coil, feels just as plush

you need to understand how to set up a modern rear shock properly to get the full benefit

The only explanation for the previous poor reviews is that either an old '06 model with defective seals was used, or the reviewers do not know how to set up a shock properly. I am 195 without gear and ride hard 'all mountain' - downhill courses, drops to 6', and steep climbs. The shock has performed flawlessly. It feels as good or better than most coil overs I have tried, even those with 6-way adjustent. You need to have an appreciation for the order of setting up the shock to first dial in spring rate and sag, followed by compression damping and bottom out. Have heard of some complain about 'midshock sag' or 'mushiness'. Couldn't be more wrong. This shock is nice and supple, while maintaining an awesome degree of progressiveness. Coil overs are easier to set up correctly and are more forgiving if poorly tuned. For those of you who know spring rate from compression damping from sag, this is one heck of a shock.