Fastrax Fastrax Coil Rear Shock Older Rear Shocks

Fastrax Coil Rear Shock

Fastrax Fastrax Coil Rear Shock

Tim Tucker   Racer [Mar 15, 2002]
Strength:

Climbs like a champ. Takes this 8ft drop I do all the time. This shock is six years old has no problem and I punish it every day.

you have to prelode the spring to much. I wish it had more tavle.

It make for a good trale bike. I would recomend this to a light weight rider who is on there game. If you are over 160lbs replace the ciol spring with one out your car. If the shock is to heavy for you, you must be a pro xc racer. If you are Joe Blow free rider the extra grams just do not matter.

Jonathan Hartman   Downhiller [Feb 01, 2002]
Strength:

Good damping control and good travel. It is good on climbing up hills without taking all your energy.

To short of a spring. If it had a bigger spring it could get a lot more travle for your money.

A really good shock that doesent need very meany fix ups. It could do better on spring size dut that it. Overall it performs really good up hill.

Stacy Triplett   Cross Country Rider [Apr 05, 2007]
Strength:

This thing awesome! It has unbelieveable travel and is extra soft on the areas! Wish I would have bought it years ago.

Trying to fit it to my TREK Y26! I did some engineering to fit it to the frame with the frame bolts but what a mess. The ones that come with it do not fit the frame so use your old one's.

This is an awesome addition to your bike for those long hard rides! I ride hard and long and don't have to worry if it will stick to the bottom. It doesn't!!!!

Similar Products Used: Fox
Hank Chinaski   Cross Country Rider [Nov 24, 2001]
Strength:

Plush, adjustable rebound

OEM setup was bad - see below

My bike always sounded like it was coming apart on bumpy downhills & it was nearly bucking me off on large hits - until I figured out the shock was topping out. I replaced the very thin (like water) fluid in the shock w/ some 10 w motorcycle shock oil, & now the bike is quiet & the shock is very plush & consistent through its travel.
I can't imagine that the more expensive "upgrades" to this shock are much better, because this shock really works well for XC riding. I've hit a lot of big bumps with this thing, & it keeps on asking for more.

Similar Products Used: Risse air/oil
Ian   Cross Country Rider [Aug 02, 2001]
Strength:

I have the 2000 model its very stiff but can be easily softened, easy to adjust, good for cross country riding, good rebound. I can do climb hills without it bouncing around
then go down hill and get an exellent ride

None for the type of riding I do except that would like a lockout but you can't have everything.

I think this shock is exellent value for money, you can get better shocks than this but you also pay a lot more

Similar Products Used: Rock shock delux rear shock which I think is not that good as it's to soft.
Josh Pelland   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 06, 1999]
Strength:

Quick (good when going fast)
Light for a coil
Reliable

Way underdamped
No damping adjustability

Not good for riders over 135 pounds, since it is way underdamped it will bottom out on big hits. It works pretty well on fast DH but bottoms on drops. Its hard to find a point on the preload that is plush but won't bottom out alot.I'm replacing it with a Stratos Strada Pro in a couple days, along with an XMO up front.Since this shock probably only costs about $75 to buy new, and it is reliable and, dispite its lack of advanced features, not THAT bad... I'll give it three well-done enchiladas.

Similar Products Used: Fox Vanilla
Fox Alps 5r
Fox Air Vanilla
Stratos Strada Pro
Stratos Helix
Rock Shox Deluxe
Girvin/GT ODS
Jeff wu   Downhiller [May 02, 1999]
Strength:

Cheap.
Compression damping adjuster is effective.
Replacement was free.

No rebound damping adjuster.

Great Shock for the price. I blew the shock once after two years of use. Wish the adjuster was for rebound rather than compression.

Similar Products Used: RS Super Deluxe
Adry Alauddin   Weekend Warrior [Mar 31, 2001]
Strength:

Durable, rebound damping, cheap..it was free( for me )

Don't know yet

Great shock if it comes OEM. Good replacement shock if you're looking for a cheap and reliable one.

Similar Products Used: undamped rear shocks on my freeride bike
Vince   Weekend Warrior [Jan 15, 2001]
Strength:

The unit is simple and performs it's intended function for a shock in it's class.

I weigh over 200 lbs and the shock has 2 problems:
1. The spring tension has to be set extremely tight that --
2. it overcomes the stock unadjustable rebound valve dampening.

OK shock to use in a light duty situation or if you're light in weight (130-170 lbs). Sharp impacts rebound with abrupt force almost throwing me on a few occasions.

However, I do note that this IS an entry level shock and cannot be compared to the expensive units.

Mika   Weekend Warrior [Jul 26, 2000]
Strength:

A basic rear shock with very effective rebound adjustement (from no rebound at all to almost lockout). Affordable. Spring rate was suitable for me. Works as promised.

A bit heavy, but so are all coil shocks. Check that you have the coil centered around the shock body if you have carried your bike and moved coil by unintentionally - it might not be centered and will rub your shock body and scratch it (if that happens, you'll hear it).

Replaced the original shock of my bike because it blew with this Fastrax RL rear shock. A good basic rear shock comparable to basic coil shocks from RockShox and other brands with rebound adjustement.