Cane Creek AD-4 Older Rear Shocks

Cane Creek AD-4 Rear Shock

paul bloch   Weekend Warrior [Mar 21, 2006]
Strength:

light

quick rebound and weak materials

The shock was ok for a couple yrs. when it was serviced by a few shops. Then I rode it and hopped over a stump and the shock literally exploaded in half. It is in two pieces, and I have never seen anything do this bofore. I should get an upgrade free.

Dareck   Weekend Warrior [Feb 13, 2002]
Strength:

Nice feel and seems to have a relatively long travel on my frame.

Sometimes loses some air after sitting for a long period.

This shock came on my S9(six).20 when i purchased it new back in 97. In the first year it lost air after sitting on several occasions, but now it seems to have quit doing that.
The shock has a nice feel and has performed very well for 5 years. I think that is pretty good service.

Similar Products Used: none
Rafael Waclawik   Weekend Warrior [Mar 13, 2007]

I have used this shock for 2 years, and after one year it started loosing air. This sucks, piece of sh.t. Since a year I have to pump it up again every time I want to biking.
Please, give me some advice.

Bob   weekend warrior [Mar 17, 1998]

Not bad, I like running VERY High Pressure, so it works similar to a mooshy hardtail. I ride mine mostly Up & downhills so this setup works pretty good for me. Very light. Is affected by temperature changes though, Warm inside,
cold outside(tends to go flat). Fetches the newspaper for me also.

Ron   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 05, 1999]
Strength:

Great customer service very light

Don`t use WD40 soaked rag`s to clean the shock .

The first couple of month`s I owened the AD4 I had two that were replaced because they leaked.The frist shock leaked a little when I used it,but would go to zero over night.So the cane creek rep said to use it and I switch it for a new one as soon as the dealer got me a replacement,it took less then a week. the second shock did not last long it got worse,there was no charge fo these replacement. Since then,I learned not to use solvent to clean it. I haven`t had any problems. I got a rebuild kit,took the shock apart could find any thing that looked like it should be replaced. So I lubed it with Judy butter,it`s almost as easy as fixing a flat tire.I do that about three times a year. Maybe one of these day`s i`ll open my rebuild kit and see what`s in it.I weigh 195 when I take the bike camping I carry over 40lb`s of gear. Over the period of a month it leak`s no air. This shock has aerved me so well that if it need`s replaced ill go for the AD10.And then agin maybe I won`t wait,This shock goes next to the top of the a little under the
ad10

Similar Products Used: As owner none, although I rode several coil spring shock`s trying to make up my mind.
tim angert   Cross Country Rider [Jan 04, 2001]
Strength:

user friendly no silly goofy nobs and crap

to touchy

i don't know what every one is bitc*ing about blowing seels and losing air i've been using it for about 3 years now the only problem that i had was when i let to much air out other than that i've had absolutly no problems so they all just need to be quit i beet the thing to death almost every day jumping it and doing other stupid and crazy stuff

Similar Products Used: fox vanila Rock shox coil over
adam   Cross-Country Rider [May 20, 1999]
Strength:

customer service

I am submitting another review to follow my last. I contacted Cane Creek and I must say, it is a shame that every business outfit doesn't handle their customers as well. I spoke with dave hensly and despite being 2 years past the warantee, he set me up with a fantastic replacement deal. He sent me a brand new AD-10 for $90 and rushed delivery so I could get back to riding quicker. I must say I'll stick with Cane Creek for not only backing their products so well, but for going out of their way to please their customers. Where else can you get that sort of treatment for having a broken part 2 years beyond the warantee?! Nice job Cane Creek, you sold me.

Markku Pöysti   Weekend Warrior [May 15, 1999]

Leaks in cold (under -10 C)
Broke compression adjustment plate when using it at 300 psi. After it broke, the small plugged holes at the bottom started to leak.

The suspension was designed for SWB model, but can be made to work in LWB too depending on rider weight. Better solution would be different lever ratio in the frame.

adam   Cross-Country Rider [May 16, 1999]
Strength:

very light
good job on big hits

looses air quickly
very poor rebound
can't deal with little bumps

This shock is fine for entry level full suspension, but it just doesn't hold up like other parts. Cane Creek is a great company and it suprises me that they put out the AD-4. I had gradual problems with this shock after about a year of normal use. I am super light (140 lbs) so I only filled it to about 150-170psi. After a 3 hour ride, it would be down to 80 or 90psi. On small hits, it doesn't move much, but on bigger ones, it's long stroke absorbs well. Rebound will really throw folks like me. There is no control in that department, so a good down stroke will hit you with an even better up stroke. On bumpy decents, I often get popped off the saddle when the shock dives at all. Also, the AD-4 suffers from the traditional air shock problem of stiction. It takes a decent hit for a guy my weight to begin compression, so it can seem more harsh than my friend's Fox vanilla. Today my AD-4 popped. I pumped it to about 150psi and I guess it had enough and it totally blew. Dealings with Cane Creek are in the process and I will update a report with their customer service, which I have heard positive things about. This shock is not up to par with many others, but for basic cross country riding, it works well and doesn't dive excessively like some. My advice would be to avoid lower level cane creeks for aftermarket upgrading. Definitely check out the AD-10, that is a really nice shock that seriously rivals the new rock shock SID shocks. If anyone out there has the problem I have just had, call Cane Creek, they will deal with it. 3 stars for very light weight and basic function, but 2 lost for pressure problem and rebound issue.