Bike Control Shockster Older Rear Shocks

Control Shockster

Bike Control Shockster

Israel   Cross Country Rider [Jul 10, 2003]
Strength:

easy instlation, great action, super grip

I've had my mongoose for a couple of years and I figured why not put it on a mongoose, boy was I surprised what it did!! It actually added 3" more of travel and helped to keep the back wheel firmly seated on the ground, even in winter conditions here in Labrador where it gets down to minus 45 degrees celcius, never did it freeze up in that weather unlike the center shock on the mongoose, Now I want to put it on a 99' Specialized FSR!!! It'll work, bet the boy's at bike controll didn't think you can do that, bolt on shockster to a fully suspended bike, we'll I did, what a ride. Just imangine the picture, better yet imagine the RIDE!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: none
Sean   [Feb 18, 2008]
Strength:

Turns a hardtail into a F/S bike - NOT!

Adds 3lbs. weight to rear of bike and 3" of wheelbase, resulting in a heavy, sluggish-handling hardtail. Tends to

Put this on various steel and alu hardtails at the bike shop and riding them back in the day. On the trail the added weight of the Shockster (all over the rear wheel, btw) radically alters the balance and center of gravity, making climbing a real chore. The longer wheelbase caused by adding the Shockster results in a sluggish steering bike that is a bear on singletrack. Travel I found no where near claimed (3 inches). Full-suspension bikes are so much better balanced, and handle so much better it is a crime to compare them to this thing. The shop carried them for a year, I think we sold one - I think. Originally listed at $329, they were almost giving them away at the end. Zero chilis for this dog of a product.

Similar Products Used: Real F/S bikes
rob   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 21, 1999]
Strength:

well, it really works great-just like its advertised to

flexy in the brake area (fixed by a break booster) and the torque bushings wear out a bit too quick

its okay, well worth the 200 beans

Similar Products Used: a few fs bikes
Tony D   cross-country rider [May 21, 1998]

Since Shockster is a local product, there's some floating around here already. Though I only got to ride one for 10 min in the city no less, here are my initial impressions for what they're worth--smart engineering, easy adjusting, can't swap out the damping cartridge. It makes the bike feel a bit longer (kinda like a slalom bike). 3 inches, 3 lbs, $300---I gotta think there's a market for it.

Butthead   Weekend Warrior [Jun 18, 1999]
Strength:

Cost
Weight
Effectiveness
Works just like advertised, no marketing lies... Excellent concept
Excellent designWell manufactured/machined.
Good webpage.

Lowers the frame a lot when compressed.

Where can you get a new fork that weighs 3pounds have 3.5 inches of travel with hydraulic dampening for 199 or less?
Give it 5 stars cause funny how all the shops think it's a hoax because it probably poses a threat to full suspension industry.

Similar Products Used: Nothing like shockster before...
Matt Cordes   Cross-Country Rider [Mar 23, 1999]

I started out racing on the road, so I'm WAY anal about bolting heavy-looking things on my bike. Lacking the bank to spring for a dual-suspension steed, though, I decided to give the Shockster a try. (Don't be intimidated when you open the box - it was easy to install, even for a lame-ass wrench like myself). Jim Thorpe has it's fair share of hills, and while I barely noticed the added weight going UP, this thing really kicked ass coming DOWN. Smoothing out all but the biggest bumps (adjustable dampening would be a bonus), I was truly impressed. I noticed the added length in the wheelbase a tiny bit, but only on the tightest singletrack, and even then I have to admit I was looking for it. Truth is, this thing is well worth the $$ if you're looking for a quick way to improve your technical ability.

Eric saletel   Racer [Mar 16, 1999]

A really good way to spend 299 what i paid for it 6 months ago, an even better way to spend 199!!! it works better then my friends LTS team and weighs less also, did i mention PLUSH!?!?!?!?!?!?!? do yourself a favor, go out and pick one up or at least try it

Jeff   weekend warrior [Mar 12, 1999]

I work at a shop in town and was intrigued by the Shockster concept. I have to admit I was really skeptical but I was willing to be open-minded and give the Shockster a try. (It was a plus that the boss let me try it for free!) This damned thing works great! Installation took only about 1 hour and wasn't very difficult at all. The instructions are quite clear and the torque settings are a smart idea. I've ridden the Shockster for two months now and have had NO problems other than some top-out when bunning-hopping. It tracks straight and true and actually increases stability when descending. Don't toss your hardtail. Buy the Shockster.

Aaron Heilbrun   cross-country rider [Mar 05, 1999]

I wrote this because the price listed above is wrong, it's not $199, but $329. I haven't purchased one yet but have been seriously considering it since I saw one about six months ago and now based on the reviews would really like to. I give them four stars because everything sounds great but the price is a tad high, certainly cheaper than a new double bong bike (as everyone else has pointed out) but it's made me think twice. Does anyone know if it will be redesigned soon? Also, you can still pull a trailer with it, right (I'm thinking of the BOB Yak)?
I'll be curious to see how it does because I also use a suspension on my seat (Post Moderne) but it doesn't do what I want it to. Hopefully this will.

big bird   cross-country rider [Mar 05, 1999]

i saw the most recent review and the reviewer said the listed price was incorrect. This is untrue, as Bike Control recently cut the price to $199, from $329. Try to keep the reviews accurate so people aren't misinformed. I do think this is a great idea and i looked at it as a possible alternative to a full suspension, but i decided i would rather go full suspension and spend the extra dough. minus one chili for the weight...Bike Control, if you can halve the weight and maybe subtract some travel to create an XC version... Good riding. Flyin high,Big Bird